Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ELP Brain Salad Surgery - changes to the Deluxe Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post

Would also like to know the reasoning behind the Genesis Box sets rip off. The first batch were release as single deluxe discs or the box set, giving the consumer a choice. Subsequent relases were only the box sets. So as a result I had to buy the box sets for the DVD-A's at an astrominal price for some albums i had no interest in buying or listening to. The single edition releases allevitated the problem of not ending up with albums i had no interest in. What explanation ever given for the reasoning behind dicontinuing single album relases. Was that for commercial reasons of squeezing the pockets of the consumer?
    Do you have to shoehorn a Genesis dig into *every* thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post

So where's Tiger in the Spotlight on this?
    Swirling down the toilet if there's any justice...

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Agreed. There is a REASON why it didn't make the first cut...

yeselpkrimson
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Or as Lake/Sinfield might have put it:

"Words, coming out like turds,
    Swirling down the toilet"

Blasphemer! Heretic! Infidel!

Agreed. There is a REASON why it didn't make the first cut...
    Well, what's the REASON that Brain Salad Surgery (the song) and When The Apple Blossoms Bloom.... didn't make it either, are they such vastly superior songs? OK, there was the time limitations of LP's, but all three songs were written/recorded after the track listing we know was decided on. I have the NME flexi-disc that Brain Salad Surgery is on, and the Manticore single of Jerusalem/When The Apple Blossoms Bloom..., I'm glad that Tiger in the Spotlight turned up on Works Vol. 2.

http://www.brain-salad-surgery.de/ad...ecordings.html
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Do you have to shoehorn a Genesis dig into *every* thread?
    Because Genesis set the 'benchmark', therefore Phil Collins has ruined the BSS box set!

If you really want the 5.1 mix and can't afford the Rhino dvd-a that I have. Try and scoop up a Sanctuary Deluxe Edition 3-disc set( try www.amazon.co.uk ) that has not only the 5.1 mix but a complete alternative album mix as well as a remastered original mix. The Rhino is going for about $300 these days. I am really bummed Steven Wilson bailed on ELP,I thought his work on Tarkus was tremendous. I was really hoping he could rescue Welcome Back along with a great 5.1 mix.

Can't understand some of the flac targetted at ELP here...

The 3 disc ELP and Tarkus sets had 2CDs including remixes and extras plus the 5.1 mixes on the DVD at a very reasonable price (especially at the time of release).

I really expected BSS (and Trilogy) to follow exactly the same format - I suspect a cock-up.

I like to listen to 5.1 mixes but won't spend over the odds to get them as I tend not to listen to them enough times to justify the ££££

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Having some trouble figuring this out - what two tracks are those?

TIA

BG
    An instrumental version of the BSS track & an unreleased backing track of Karn Evil 9 part 3.

The DVD-A has different vocal takes on Still you turn me on & Jerusalem plus additional instrumentation on Toccata, however these were previously on the Sanctuary DVD-A.

So if you already own the previous Deluxe editions there are only two unreleased tracks on the box set!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    Blasphemer! Heretic! Infidel!

Well, what's the REASON that Brain Salad Surgery (the song) and When The Apple Blossoms Bloom.... didn't make it either, are they such vastly superior songs? OK, there was the time limitations of LP's, but all three songs were written/recorded after the track listing we know was decided on. I have the NME flexi-disc that Brain Salad Surgery is on, and the Manticore single of Jerusalem/When The Apple Blossoms Bloom..., I'm glad that Tiger in the Spotlight turned up on Works Vol. 2.

http://www.brain-salad-surgery.de/ad...ecordings.html
    Jeremy, while I don't think much of the song Brain Salad Surgery (anytime Greg takes the lead on guitar, I start to cringe), I love Apple Blossoms. I simply considered Tiger In The Spotlight and Brain Salad Surgery to be Greg's typically lame attempt to chart a pop tune at the insistence of Atlantic records. I bet if someone did a poll of ELP fans and have them list their worst ten songs, they would get many of these:

Tiger In The Spotlight
    Brain Salad Surgery
    Love Beach
    Taste Of My Love
    All I Want Is You
    The Gambler
    For You
    Farewell To Arms
    One By One
    Heart On Ice

Read Greg's blurb:

"Then there's 'Tyrone's Spotlight'. That's a fantastic track, you ought to hear it. Really a basher. Heavy rock 'n roll."

Really? Please, someone get Greg a copy of a Zeppelin album!!! It's a boogie!!
    Last edited by cavgator; 05-21-2014 at 06:04 PM.

This is bewildering. I was just reading rave reviews of Jakko's new stereo mix and scathing reviews of the new 5.1 mix (did he do that, too?) over on the Steve Hoffman forum. IMHO, the recent Crimson & Yes 2-disc sets have set the bar for these semi-deluxe reissues. I'm one who will probably never cough up the cash for a "9-Disc Topographic Immersion Set" (and I wouldn't have the spare time to listen to all of it, either). What I'd LOVE (especially in light of the new stereo-mix reviews) is a double disc with a new remaster, a new stereo mix, a new 5.1 (which I'll never bother to listen to), and all the BSS b-sides (including Tiger In A Spotlight!). I assume this could be on 1 CD + 1 DVD-A. I really don't need alternate takes or instrumental mixes.

What I'm confused about is the new non-Super Deluxe track listing: new remaster & new stereo mix BUT no 5.1 or b-sides? Am I getting this right?

So disappointed with this. I really want the 5.1 mix, but no way am I paying $80 for it. Not sure if I am canceling or not...really want too!

I don't think Steven Wilson was involved here. He bowed out from the catalogue- wasn't it an Innerviews interview where he said he didn't like the other albums enough to bother doing them?
    Yes. Afaik, it's Jakko Jakzsyk who is doing them. And neither he nor Wilson would have anything to do with how deluxe editions are packaged or their release schedules.

It is puzzling how Yes and King Crimson can offer the 5.1 mixes in the cheaper packages, and yet an ELP release cannot.
    Not really. Crimson and Yes are both released by Panegyric, a small, independent label that gives a shit. ELP is being released by the majors, who don't care about anything but soaking fans for their money.

The reviews of the 5:1 mix by Jakko Jakzsyk arn't positive & allude that the previous Sanctuary DVD-A being much superior!

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    Can't understand some of the flac targetted at ELP here...
    Neither can I

If they didn't get it right this particular re-release they will on the next one, or the one after that!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

I love jethro Tull, but didn't buy the ultra deluxe edition of Aqualung since it was so expensive and I have not owned a record player for about 10 years. However, I did buy the 2 disc package. I would have definitely pulled the trigger for a 3 disc version with the 5.1 disc at a decent price. I would imagine there are quite a few people that feel the same way. It seems that the companies would be missing out on a lot of sales. It would be interesting to know how many copies of Aqualung deluxe edition sold and how it's sales compared with the Thick as a Brick cd/DVD disc sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim35 View Post
    I love jethro Tull, but didn't buy the ultra deluxe edition of Aqualung since it was so expensive and I have not owned a record player for about 10 years. However, I did buy the 2 disc package. I would have definitely pulled the trigger for a 3 disc version with the 5.1 disc at a decent price. I would imagine there are quite a few people that feel the same way. It seems that the companies would be missing out on a lot of sales. It would be interesting to know how many copies of Aqualung deluxe edition sold and how it's sales compared with the Thick as a Brick cd/DVD disc sold.
    Similarly the new DP Made in Japan super duper box set doesn't include the Blue-ray disc which is being sold separately. Just another example of a record company milking the cow dry & squeezing the fans pockets.I''m a DP avid collector & both the box set & Blu-ray disc has set me back close to an £100.
    Last edited by Rufus; 05-22-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Record companies need to understand the people buying these things have already bought them many times before. So they need to dangle a special something to get us to bite, such as a 5.1 mix in the deal. I doubt too many people will walk into a store and drop $150 or more impulsively for a band's special edition album from 1973 that they have never heard of.

One thing that his created this situation (and Ive mentioned before I know) is to do with all the recent ownership changes following Sanctuary being bought out by Universal and EMI being bought out by Universal and then part of it sold straight away to Warners (as was insisted by the competition authorities) In order to get all this catalogue available again it needed rebadging with the new label, new catalogue numbers, new barcodes etc, this tends to mean new editions. The majors in particular are keen on big box sets, much higher margin based on smaller sales , so it gets a lot of cash in quickly to cover the heavy costs of doing all these projects again. You have to remember at the majors whilst they have some really excellent catalogue people who I know well and who I can assure you are big music lovers and buyers too, they always work with one hand tied behind their backs by accountants and business analysts.

We like a nice box set too but have a policy similar to the one Sid outlined for DGM and we particularly like the 3 disc sets and find they sell pretty well as its a price point way more people can buy into.

Would also like to know the reasoning behind the Genesis Box sets rip off. The first batch were release as single deluxe discs or the box set, giving the consumer a choice. Subsequent relases were only the box sets. So as a result I had to buy the box sets for the DVD-A's at an astrominal price for some albums i had no interest in buying or listening to. The single edition releases allevitated the problem of not ending up with albums i had no interest in. What explanation ever given for the reasoning behind dicontinuing single album relases. Was that for commercial reasons of squeezing the pockets of the consumer?
    Exploiting the enthusiast is hardly a new strategy unfortunately, and you DID buy it, thereby validating their thinking!

^I just read that post as another opportunity to express a 'Genesis vendetta'...again. The Gabriel-Genesis box- the *only* one of these sort of deluxe sets I've ever wanted- offered a lot of extras. The first-time official release of all that footage, the hitherto unheard 'Jackson Tapes', lengthy interviews with the band about all the albums, 5.1 mixes. The stereo remixes were about the least interesting thing on them to me- by having them as the only in print editions, a certain revisionism has crept in- but they too were indeed new.

Would it have been good to release the deluxe issues separately like the others? Yes, but the thinking probably was that most fans of the PG era would want the lot. That's not the case with the subsequent albums, which- certainly after 'Wind...'- divide opinion to a much greater extent. Some only like the albums after that point, some don't like anything after that point.

By contrast, ELP's catalogue has been regularly reissued, and rarely featuring much that is 'new'. Beyond live concerts, perhaps there is little to release...they did a 'vault clearing' exercise (although not advertised as such on the sleeve) with 'Works Volume 2' in the 1970s, after all. But as a result, there also can be little surprise at the relative lack of interest IMHO.
    Last edited by JJ88; 05-23-2014 at 01:34 AM.

Because Genesis set the 'benchmark', therefore Phil Collins has ruined the BSS box set!
    Wait a minute, I thought it was Mel Collins who ruined everything.

I don't think that the Super Duper Deluxe set comes in a box, otherwise it would be called The Ultra Super Duper Deluxe Extravaganza Box Set now including virgin cardboard painted with the blood of virgins.

(and may include a 5.1 mix somewhere....)
    support live music

Google is your fiend.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim35 View Post
    Record companies need to understand the people buying these things have already bought them many times before. So they need to dangle a special something to get us to bite, such as a 5.1 mix in the deal. I doubt too many people will walk into a store and drop $150 or more impulsively for a band's special edition album from 1973 that they have never heard of.
    That is absolutely not the market they are targeting with these high priced, ultra deluxe editions. The demographic they are targeting is us. The number of ultra deluxe editions printed is a small percentage compared to the cheaper alternatives released simultaneously (if they exist).

Nobody expects the casual fan to buy 24 discs of Crimson, nor do they expect them to buy more overpriced editions like this Division Bell box....any more than Steven Wilson expects his casual fans to buy those deluxe edition books he's been releasing.

Nope, those are for the diehard fans who want it all. My only beef is withholding surround mixes for that much smaller group of people. They could add that disc, bump the price of the smaller reissue by a couple bucks and make more money on the larger sales of those editions. OTOH, if they remove the surround mix from the deluxe box, there's often much less to entice folks to buy them, so a bit of a marketing conundrum....

with Warrior we had the 5.1 in the 3 disc edition and also in the box set but kept the replica vinyl for the box set only. As you say the big box sets are really aimed at band "fanatics" who like to have "everything"

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    That is absolutely not the market they are targeting with these high priced, ultra deluxe editions. The demographic they are targeting is us. The number of ultra deluxe editions printed is a small percentage compared to the cheaper alternatives released simultaneously (if they exist).

Nobody expects the casual fan to buy 24 discs of Crimson, nor do they expect them to buy more overpriced editions like this Division Bell box....any more than Steven Wilson expects his casual fans to buy those deluxe edition books he's been releasing.

Nope, those are for the diehard fans who want it all. My only beef is withholding surround mixes for that much smaller group of people. They could add that disc, bump the price of the smaller reissue by a couple bucks and make more money on the larger sales of those editions. OTOH, if they remove the surround mix from the deluxe box, there's often much less to entice folks to buy them, so a bit of a marketing conundrum....