Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 years from now...the future of music

20 years from now...the future of music

Let's speculate on the future of music in 20 years, both the industry and the artistry. This could be interesting or depressing (or both). How are things going to change...for better or worse. What will remain the same. It's my deeply held belief that as much as most people don't care too much for music these days, they will care even less in the future. Anyone else share this belief/prediction?
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

For me it's very depressing. I wonder what the Vegas odds would be on me living another 20 years.

Take the under.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Great topic! In 2035, music will be mind blowing.

Seriously, I took the flying Delorean for a spin last week and...

Progeezer man, the health pills are here. Watch for the news in the fall

20 years from now prog will be so huge that George will be announcing prog bands for Rosfest on stage at huge stadiums with giant screens. If not then my two years as a prog promoter were all for nothing.

Banjo's and harmonicas.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    The only music will be flame-throwing guitar and kettle drums on Immortan Joe's war rig.

Last edited by notallwhowander; 07-01-2015 at 09:36 PM.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Suspended
    "stadia". (not "stadiums")

In 20 years, Roine Stolt and friends have finally discovered grunge and thus update the enormously progressive Prog to fit that ideal of temporal artistic currency. It'll be wonderful.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm guessing there will still be some discussion on the latest touring incarnation of Yes.

Seriously, I do hope music holds a place of importance. To me it appears a tough world for people just learning an instrument, but that could change. One EMP and live music will again reign supreme!
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    The only music will be flame-throwing guitar and kettle drums on Immortan Joe's war rig.

Mad Max chapter 7 will be releaqsed in 20 years??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    There are places in the world where the playing of music, either on an instrument or playing it in recorded form, is illegal.

For most of the world though, I'm there will continue to be music played and produceed, and much of it will be drivel and some of it will be genius.

One thing is certain; there will always be whingers about the "state of music today".

The Apple iPhone version 99 will be embedded into your head, where you can "play" whatever music your dream up...

Pop music will be all machines and auto-tuned vocals (like so much of it already is, but they'll get rid of all real musical instruments played by real humans) and there will still be great rock and jazz, but it'll be deeper underground than it already is. In other words, it'll continue on the course it's on now.

I don't know - does anyone? - but I'm thinking (fantasizing?) that maybe, just maybe, the current trend in popular music will abruptly circle back to an aesthetic that demands musicians that possess honest-to-goodness skills & talent that they honed over a course of years, and live concerts will once again feature live musicians playing in real time with no backing tracks and no lip-synching.

Then again, such sentiments remind me a little of this:

"Soon the earth would be covered with dust, and a new earth would be born.
    All nations of Indians long dead would come back to life.
    The white man would disappear and the buffalo would return."
    GHOST DANCE CHANT (Kansas 1889)

(from the inner sleeve of Kansas' Monolith album)

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post

the future of METAL!!!!! \m/
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    I'm guessing there will still be some discussion on the latest touring incarnation of Yes.

Seriously, I do hope music holds a place of importance. To me it appears a tough world for people just learning an instrument, but that could change. One EMP and live music will again reign supreme!
    Steve Howe will be around still

holy hell! how do you miniaturize that????

Keith Richards will be a full time solo artist, as the other Stones will have died off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    holy hell! how do you miniaturize that????
    That's what she said.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Twenty years from now, lyrics will be canned and recycled just to fill space. Okay, that's already happening.

The Beatles will still be the best band ever. Hendrix will still be the greatest guitarist ever. The Stones will still be the the ugliest band ever ... and touring.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Twenty years from now, lyrics will be canned and recycled just to fill space. Okay, that's already happening.

The Beatles will still be the best band ever. Hendrix will still be the greatest guitarist ever. The Stones will still be the the ugliest band ever ... and touring.
    you mean there will be something worse than the mish mash of clichés used to create lyrics now?

That photo of Steve Howe that you posted is much too doctored up just to make him look better, Jen.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

To make a serious post:

I predict it looks good, and I'll tell you why. Already, technology is getting to the point of replacing humans that even VSTi vocal instruments have been developed and are being employed ( i.e. Yamaha Vocaloid, Aquestone 2, etc) that I think we are already at a diverging cusp, hence the recent appearance of all things retro in a lot of popular music today not to mention "real music" indie record labels (such as "Our Label Records" out of Germany among many that have sprung up in the last few years) There is going to be a demand for "real music by real musicians" that popular music is beginning to split into two major aggregate branches: technological and organic. Don't be surprised if you don't see terms similar to "Organic Music" or "Real Music" (this one will start countless debates) start appearing and taking root much in the same way the term "Electronica" did in the 90s. I think in 20 years, the two camps will be clearly defined (with the usual smattering of "crossovers" like we see in almost anything).

It depends on young people. I think there are a lot more bright and talented, open-minded youth out there than a lot of us want to admit. As long as there are enough intelligent people who value exploring music, and as long as we have societies that are free, there will be good music being made.

How it will pan out economically, with technology evolving as rapidly as it is, I wouldn't want to guess.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

You won't have to leave your home to attend a live concert. The virtual reality will handle it all for you.
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor