Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Non-British 'Canterbury'

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    As for Belgian Canterburians, it all comes pretty much together with the sole Abraxis album from 1976
    Just learned that this is finally getting a CD reissue on the Paisley Press label. I'm quite enthusiastic about this!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Just learned that this is finally getting a CD reissue on the Paisley Press label. I'm quite enthusiastic about this!
    good news, but I'm afraid it could be vinyl-only
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    good news, but I'm afraid it could be vinyl-only
    It's a CD, just not a legit one...

^

Well, that explains it then. I still want it, though. But the 'usual ones' probably won't have it.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^

Well, that explains it then. I still want it, though. But the 'usual ones' probably won't have it.
    This webshop has it (and is somehow connected to many pirates)

http://www.numusi.de/abraxis/abraxis/jazzrock/5232/de/

Banned
    Not sure where Mars Everywhere fits into this discussion
    Not Canterbury I'd say but worth checking out. I still have their album on vinyl (Random Radar #2 I thought) and of course "Attack of the Giant Squid" from the 1977 Random Radar Sampler (RR #1) is a great excursion into science-fiction electronic mayhem... and I still love the one and only track ever from "Logproof". Get your sealed copy while you can!!! I'm tempted to get another one, but I've already digitized and cleaned up both albums.

http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...prd-666LP.aspx

I wonder when the Catch-a-Buzz Studios box set is coming out?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I wonder when the Catch-a-Buzz Studios box set is coming out?
    When they went professional, they mostly recorded early DC hardcore and then later DC rap and go-go.

Probably not what you were looking for ...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    This webshop has it (and is somehow connected to many pirates)

http://www.numusi.de/abraxis/abraxis/jazzrock/5232/de/
    Hmphh... Have you tried to purchase anything from these folks? Can you vouch for their reliabilty? I'm usually not a supporter of pirate-endorsers to begin with, but with this Abraxis thing I'd just might capitulate - just this once. It'd be good to know if there's an actual transaction to come out of it.

Banned
    When they went professional, they mostly recorded early DC hardcore and then later DC rap and go-go.

Probably not what you were looking for ...
    Rats! Cancel my pre-order then. I was hungry for some more Cream O' Wheat...

Hmphh... Have you tried to purchase anything from these folks? Can you vouch for their reliabilty? I'm usually not a supporter of pirate-endorsers to begin with, but with this Abraxis thing I'd just might capitulate - just this once. It'd be good to know if there's an actual transaction to come out of it.
    They sell legal and lots of otherwise stuff, never had a problem with them. This shop exists for quite some time and they are not as dubious as their stuff.

^

Thx. I'll give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    They sell legal and lots of otherwise stuff, never had a problem with them. This shop exists for quite some time and they are not as dubious as their stuff.
    I checked their whole cataloguedown.gif, and they've got some impressive depthfood.gif, though it's easy to guess that the stuff you haven't seen on sale anywhere else is not legit.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The Winstons, interesting band from Italy (members of Calibro 35 and Afterhours).Somewhat Psych induced Canterbury.

Banned
    Thanks, more psych than Canterbury influence to my ears - and since we have a psych-influenced Winstons I guess I might as well add the psych Churchills from 1968

^

I love the Churchills' record, but I never noticed anything particularly 'Canterbury' about it. For Israeli vaguely (and probably unintentionally) 'Canter-related' I'd rather hear Sheshet or some of Shlomo Gronich's work.

Banned
    ^

I love the Churchills' record, but I never noticed anything particularly 'Canterbury' about it. For Israeli vaguely (and probably unintentionally) 'Canter-related' I'd rather hear Sheshet or some of Shlomo Gronich's work.
    Agreed - went off-topic so I could follow up the Winstons with the Churhills - sorry couldn't resist...

Banned
    A pleasant Canterbury-like jazz-rock /psych album by Violeta de Outono from São Paulo.
    Favourite track: Frontiera

http://voiceprintbrasil.bandcamp.com/album/volume-7 (name your price)

re-released online as a free release in December 28, originally 2007.

Used to purchase a lot from Nu-Musi after the demise of Freak Emporium. Before he got on eBay. He was one of the most reliable sellers and it's sad that the last five years he sells mostly pirated CDs. Was not like this when he started.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Hi Prog Ears friends!
    There are some really cool things posted here that I have never heard. Thanks for starting this thread!

My band Ampledeed has been referred to as being of a Canterbury style (funny enough, we hadn't even heard the term before that actually!)
    Our 2nd album doesn't come out until New Years day, but I thought I'd post a couple songs in case one or two of you might enjoy them. I'd say the first one is more proggy than the second.

Ampledeed - BYOB sneaky peaky
    Track 3
    Track 6

Ampledeed - BYOB
    Ampledeed_BYOB-cover Lo Quality.jpg

This is not an ad!! just a happy message to my fellow prog-head friends. Hope you all have a fantastic New Year.

^

Really, really enjoyed your debut - so these are good news! Anticipating...

Banned
    A Canterbury-like song S one strane oblika (1968) ( "On the other side of a form") by Yugo-prog band Dogovor iz 1804. ("Agreement from 1804.") from Belgrade.

By the way, some typical "proggy" verses are here (I just translated from serbo-croatian) :

The sun which was made by wax is on that marble sky,
    on the other side of a form.
    While the silence is in my eyes
    My thoughts traveling along with the blue angels into some another world
    Let me to arrive to nowhere...
    Last edited by Svetonio; 12-29-2015 at 10:29 AM.

^

AFAIK, that's actually one of the very first 'progressive' bands from Eastern Europe as a whole. More (to become) well-known groups like Indexi were still playing lite beat-pop at that point.

There was SO much great rock coming out of Yugoslavia during the 70s and up 'til the early 80s, but I can only think of some very faint Canterburian elements with acts like September, Izvir and Predmestje. I hear very little of it in the Soncna Pot or Tako albums, for instance, and not with otherwise rather fusion-inflected bands like Kornelyans or Smak.

Banned
    ^ This is also an interesting their song but with a sitar, Vetar ("Wind"), also from 1968.

Enjoy

Manna/Mirage (aka The Muffins)

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    who??

Isn't he some kind of 80's disco king??
    No, Rick Astley is progressive. That's why 170 million plays have passed this on: