Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: "High Fantasy" recommendations?

I read the first two Covenant series back in the late 80s or early 90s, and thought they were outstanding. Especially the first. My big gripe was the generic name for the antagonist. "Lord Foul," really?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I read the first two Covenant series back in the late 80s or early 90s, and thought they were outstanding. Especially the first. My big gripe was the generic name for the antagonist. "Lord Foul," really?
    Yes, trite naming convention there. Really enjoyed the Covenant series through The Wounded Land (which was like a cold slap in the face), and then Stephen R. Donaldson just got too damn wordy for his and the story's sake -- which, for Donaldson, is an over-amplification of a prolixity already present in his work.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^They're all excellent, but Tigana is a masterpiece.
    Agreed. The Fionavar Tapestry was a slight disappointment after reading this, but I really ought to read more Kay.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I read the original series back in the day but man, it was a tiresome slog with Thomas whining like a toddler the whole way. I can take antiheroes but whining? Please. I just cannot go back. The tedious pacing alone made Robert Jordan read like Mark Lawrence.
    I couldn’t even get through the first volume. Not badly written, but tremendously badly conceived. It was an immensely unpleasant read, and having to suffer through the protagonist’s general loathsomeness, it made it impossible for me to continue. My general thinking was, “unless this guy dies a horrible, gory death on the next page, I am done with this series. Considering this thing goes on for another five grueling tomes, I am guessing that does not happen.”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Agreed. The Fionavar Tapestry was a slight disappointment after reading this, but I really ought to read more Kay.

.”
    I've read most of his stuff. I think I started with Tigana too, and though I can say he is a great creator of worlds and cultures, none of his other works lived up to Tigana. That one was a masterpiece.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

I couldn’t even get through the first volume. Not badly written, but tremendously badly conceived. It was an immensely unpleasant read, and having to suffer through the protagonist’s general loathsomeness, it made it impossible for me to continue. My general thinking was, “unless this guy dies a horrible, gory death on the next page, I am done with this series. Considering this thing goes on for another five grueling tomes, I am guessing that does not happen.”
    It goes on for 9 more tomes, and since you don't mind a spoiler, yes he does die, but the Law Of Death is broken so he is summoned back...It gets complicated.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    $10 just bought me
    Jhereg-Steven Brust
    Flying Dutch-Tom Holt
    deCAmp & Pratt-Complete Compleat Enchanter

Great used store "Bookends" here in Florence, highly recommended for SF/Fantasy

Kings of the Wyld. Swords, sorcery and rock & roll. https://www.amazon.com/Kings-Wyld-Ba...dp/0316362476/
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

I've been on a binge through urban fantasy lately. The best I have found is the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews (pseudonym for husband-and-wife writing team). First book is Magic Bites, which has a slightly jittery start but solidifies quickly. Ten books (completed series), with two side novels and several novellas exploring continuing characters. The series is a magic apocalypse in modern-day Atlanta. Outstanding series in practically every aspect - character, dialog, world-building, plot, pacing, and humor.

Ilona Andrews has three other series, one finished and two on-going. The Hidden Legacy series (first book "Burn For Me", fifth book scheduled for later this year) is also outstanding. It looks like second-rate romance, but don't let that fool you; it's top-quality urban fantasy, with inherited magic being the source of power and wealth in modern-day Houston. Again, great characters, dialog, plot, pacing, everything you'd want as far as I'm concerned.

Also found Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series to be very good. First book is Moon Called. Eleven books published, 12th due in March, also a parallel series with five books. Werewolf-centric but with a wide-ranging mythology beyond that. As with Ilona Andrews, strong writing in every aspect.

The Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne is a little more uneven but still worth reading. Nine books, finished. Main character is the last living druid, running an apothecary in Tempe, Arizona. Lots of humor and big stories. Main character seems to have things a little too easy for a while, but definitely gets his come-uppance and things get interesting after that. His relationship with his dog is something of a weak spot, pun intended.

Thanks to all for a number of recommendations in this thread; I'll be trying out several of them. Like many, waiting for Rothfuss and Martin, although Godot may get here first.
    I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

I just finished Joe Abercrombie's A Little Hatred. This is the first book in a new trilogy in Abercrombie's First Law universe. If you haven't read the earlier books it is written in such a way that you could make your way through it without know those books. But I would not recommend it - you'll be missing a lot of subtle references. Alternately grim and hilarious with some gut-wrenching action as an industrial age begins and as with all industrial ages, it's bound to get ugly.

Now I'm starting Gideon the Ninth - the blurb on the cover kinda hooked me.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Would China Mieville be considered Urban Fantasy? I’ve enjoyed his Perdido Street Station and The Scar and Embassytown.

He's certainly got fantastical elements in his work. I think he regards himself as a urban fantasy writer more than science fiction. He's blending a lot of elements, which is always good.

Anyone heard of this? It certainly seems intriguing. https://slate.com/culture/2020/01/th...l?via=taps_top
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Miéville writes a lot of different things: mostly fantasy, mostly urban, but at least one straight science fiction novel (Embassytown), at least one historical SF novel (Kraken), and at least one utterly charming children's dark urban fantasy (Un Lun Dun).
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Miéville is an incredible author, to put it mildly (IMO of course). His imagination comes up with things intriguing enough that they could form the basis for an entire book, but they are only one small facet of the story he's telling. For example, the "immer" in Embassytown. What the heck was that?!

His book Railsea managed to encompass fantasy, sci-fi, horror, humor, swashbuckling adventure, and even a bit of social commentary (in a way that was both subtle and funny) -- plus the occasional Lovecraftian terrors lurking on the fringe -- all while focusing on the story of a pudgy awkward young boy trying to survive in that harsh world. I've never read anything quite like it.

The short stories he writes are also diverse, almost always interesting, and frequently very good. I think he's one of the most talented writers working today.

I just finished a very original book that combines fantasy/horror/science fiction: Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir. I found it quite well written but in no way is it your standard high fantasy. A necromancer and their attending cavalier are dispatched to a large mostly abandoned structure on a water planet to compete against other necromancer/cavalier teams from the other great houses of this universe. OK, that's weird in and of itself. The pair we are following are teens although nearly all the other competitors are adults. The structure is staffed by a small group of weird priests and animated skeletons. There's bones all over the place. The two teen heroes are girls, one of whom is definitely attracted to other women but we're not sure about the necromancer. The snark from them is strong and entirely in character. Midway through the book we get our first deaths and then it's a lot of carnage, blood, and bones right up until the fantastical finale. I have never read anything quite like this but I'll damn sure be buying the sequel. If your tastes run to the weird or just enjoy a quite unpredictable world that is well written, this may be your thing.

I am wading through a doorstop fantasy called Ruin of Kings. It's the debut novel of a proposed five - a bit clunky in places because the world is pretty deep and there's just a ton of characters and backstory. It's a tale of a young man who just isn't the hero, told from the perspective of the young man and the demon who imprisons him. The demon is not a reliable narrator. Also, there are dragons.

Anyone else retreating to the fantastical during these dark times?

I'm on page 350 of this. Confusing and convoluted but enjoying it. Didn't realize it was going to be five books.

Is it only me believing coronavirus isolation will result in bumping this thread more reliably?
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Reading Lawhead's Song of Albion trilogy.

Now reading N.K. Jemisin's Dreamblood Duology. Awesomesauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I just finished Joe Abercrombie's A Little Hatred. This is the first book in a new trilogy in Abercrombie's First Law universe. If you haven't read the earlier books it is written in such a way that you could make your way through it without know those books. But I would not recommend it - you'll be missing a lot of subtle references. Alternately grim and hilarious with some gut-wrenching action as an industrial age begins and as with all industrial ages, it's bound to get ugly.
    Oh, I didn't know he'd returned to the First Law world. Excellent. I love Abercrombie - my favorite of the grimdark authors. How he played with fantasy tropes in the original series was brilliant - as well as the way he played with other genres in subsequent books (revenge, military and western). I know people who don't like his style, but anyone who can come up with a character like Sand dan Glokta is a genius.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

anyone who can come up with a character like Sand dan Glokta is a genius.
    Wait until you meet Glokta's daughter. Her arc is the best part of the book.

I received the second volume of Anniversary Illustrated Edition of Robin Hobb's The Farseer Trilogy - Royal Assassin. Awesome edition, very hefty, nicely printed and illustrated. Last volume will be an auto-buy.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

This is a really great thread, and it's a shame that I discovered it so late! To keep myself from trying to comment on everything that's happened here over six years, I'll do the opposite and take a 90° turn left at the original post:

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I have been primarily a reader of SF and only recently "discovered" Jack Vance's "Lyonesse" trilogy (which I found used in a complete hardcover edition), which has been described as a work of "High Fantasy". I must admit being unfamiliar with that term, but was so enthralled by "Lyonesse" that I have been seeking out similar works.
    Lyonesse completely floored me when I stumbled across the first part of the trilogy four years ago - I knew the Dying Earth stories and a couple other Vance novels beforehand, but this strange brew of politics and fairy tale, of whimsy and cruelty (not least towards sympathetic characters) felt unique within his own works, and even moreso compared to other books. Due to its uniqueness, I feel that the moniker High Fantasy does more harm than help in finding works with a similar charm. With that in mind, here are three recommendations that, to me, accomplish the same feat as Lyonesse: stories and world governed by a dream non-logic that nevertheless always feels completely right and real. The first two have already been mentioned, but I am not sure whether you picked them up yet.

Gene Wolfe • The Wizard Knight
    Apart from the ploy of having the central character originating from our world, this is the closest sibling to Lyonesse I know - medieval fantasy, fairies, strange twists and turns and politics galore. Might also be the most accessible of Wolfe's books, although that is not saying much ... with him, I usually find out on rereads that I missed about half of the plot the first time around, so I'm really looking forward to a second go at the Wizard Knight.

Susanna Clarke • Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
    A victorian fantasy novel, but that description (or any other attempt to classify this) is woefully inadequate. The best indication of how special and singulary this book is would be the fact that in spite of its immense success, I don't know anybody who tried something similar. Clarke is telling a hundred little stories, some of them entirely contained within footnotes, and only occasionally gives you glimpses of the (breathtakingly good) central tale, but always enough to follow it. It has incredibly great fairies, so it also has cruelty in spades, which contrasts nicely with its gentle and fussy voice tone of an erudite english gentleman. One of my favorite books ever, and I'm really looking forward to her second (!) novel Piranesi, which is supposed to come out this year.

John Crowley • Little, Big
    Shares indirect storytelling and fairies with Strange & Norrell, and is as (mythic) American as Clarke's work is english. The central question here is not what happens to mortals who visit Faerie, but what happens when they set up roots in our world. It contains a multitude of completely out-of-whack ideas, but nevertheless has a calmness and a kind of inner glow that is unique. And it cares even less about genre conventions than Lyonesse and my other two recommendations, although whether that is a merit or a flaw depends on the reader. As does the fact that Harold Bloom liked it a lot, I guess.

So, thanks again for starting this thread - for myself, the first recommendation I'll pick up from here is Patricia McKillip, who was a complete unknown to me but sounds right up my alley.

^ I was reading your description of the Susanna Clarke book and thinking to myself "That sounds a lot like Little, Big. Then I kept reading. I'm unfamiliar with the Clarke book, but will probably order it tonight.

Whoa, yes. Norrell/Strange is not exactly "high" fantasy, but it's one of the most original fantasy novels in the last 20 years or so.