Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking to expand my prog tastes!

Looking to expand my prog tastes!

Apologies for such a lengthy post, and much appreciation for those who read through it! I am looking for recommendations for some new prog bands. I'm sure there are gems out there that I have so far overlooked. Here is a list of the stuff I already have and love. I haven't listed all of the associated solo albums (e.g. Steve Hackett, Rick Wakeman) but assume I already have those. I've sampled some prog metal bands (e.g. Opeth) but they were not to my liking (although I do like Pain of Salvation, so go figure!).

Thanks for your input!

Anathema
    Anglagard
    Arena
    Big Big Train
    Camel
    Caravan
    Citizen Cain
    Collage
    Echolyn
    Eloy
    ELP
    Fish
    Flower Kings
    Genesis
    Gentle Giant
    Gryphon
    IQ
    Jadis
    Jethro Tull
    Kaipa
    Kayak
    King Crimson
    Magenta
    Magma
    Marillion
    Monarch Trail
    Moon Safari
    Mostly Autumn
    Neal Morse Band
    Nice
    Pain of Salvation
    Par Lindh Project
    Pendragon
    Phideaux
    Pink Floyd
    Porcupine Tree
    Renaissance
    Rush
    Spock's Beard
    Transatlantic
    UK
    Univers Zero
    White Willow
    Yes

^ You should explore both the Cuneiform and ReR labels in depth. It's a big step, but you'll be glad you did. The music is generally more challenging but the rewards are big. Plus listen to Cardiacs!

https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/

https://rermegacorp.bandcamp.com/music

https://alphabet-business-concern.bandcamp.com/
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

A.C.T.
    Gösta Berlings Saga
    Kaipa DaCapo (very different from Hans Lundins Kaipa)
    Riverside
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    One word: Krautrock

This is a realm of prog definitely worth investigating. A small handful of classics:

CAN - Future Days
    Amon Duul II - Yeti and/or Tanz der Lemminge
    Agitation Free - Live '74
    Faust - So Far

There are people who are far better traveled in this than I, and it there is a very deep catalogue of early '70s output from Germany. It is a whole new realm stretching out before you.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

One word: WOBBLER!!!!
    The Prog Corner

Van der Graaf Generator. Try Pawn Hearts.This is a core item, like in Top-10 prog of all time.
    Last edited by Zappathustra; 08-07-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Get the Art Zoyd box from Wayside. That will keep you busy for a while.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Setna
    Mats / Morgan
    Area
    Lost Crowns

Steve Hillage
    Egg
    Hatfield and the North
    National Health
    Gong
    Hawkwind

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'd recommend you explore the Italian scene, starting with some of the big-name 70s Italian bands like PFM, Banco, Le Orme, and if you want to stretch a bit into some slightly more avant-garde territory, AREA. There area host of others from the 70s, including Picchio Dal Pozzo, Arti + Mestieri, Il Balletto di Bronzo's Ys, Maxophone, and Semiramis' Dedicato A Frazz just to name a few. There are also some outstanding Italian bands that are more contemporary, or still active, like DFA, Deus Ex Machinga, and Accordo dei Contrari.

But Italy is one of the richest hotbeds of Progressive Rock, and is well worth exploration. And since you list no Italian bands I think you'd gain a lot by exploring there.

Good luck!

Bill

Pekka Pohjola
    Hoelderlin

Or if you like to explore some folk-metal, try In Extremo

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The music is generally more challenging but the rewards are big.
    Yup. What you've listed as owning is pretty much the shallow end of the gene pool. The deeper you dive, the more your horizons will expand.

Soft Machine.

Start from the first and work your way up.I think you'll be glad you did.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I'd recommend you explore the Italian scene, starting with some of the big-name 70s Italian bands like PFM, Banco, Le Orme, and if you want to stretch a bit into some slightly more avant-garde territory, AREA. There area host of others from the 70s, including Picchio Dal Pozzo, Arti + Mestieri, Il Balletto di Bronzo's Ys, Maxophone, and Semiramis' Dedicato A Frazz just to name a few. There are also some outstanding Italian bands that are more contemporary, or still active, like DFA, Deus Ex Machinga, and Accordo dei Contrari.

But Italy is one of the richest hotbeds of Progressive Rock, and is well worth exploration. And since you list no Italian bands I think you'd gain a lot by exploring there.

Good luck!

Bill
    There is a pretty decent 15 disc box set of Italian prog at wayside. Early gems.
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...pc-360822.aspx
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Hi Dave,

I'm always hesitant about any form of self-promotion but, given your request and the specific list of reference points, I think there's at least a reasonable chance that you might enjoy Advent. Here are Bandcamp links to our two latest releases if you're up for checking them out:

http://advent-prog.bandcamp.com/album/cantus-firmus
    http://advent-prog.bandcamp.com/albu...udiophile-2496

Thanks and best wishes,

Alan

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    If you have Anglagard on your list, I would add Anekdoton. For Crimson influenced, try Vemod and Nucleus (although by the later they were developing their own sound). I also like the later day Anekdoten, like their most recent, Until the Ghosts Are Gone but I like a lot of their newer material, like Gravity, Time of Day and From Within. They were on my bucket list of live bands to see (After Crying is another one at the top and worth exploring) and was lucky enough to see Anekdoten in Quebec city about 3 years ago. They were excellent live.

It looks like your list is heavy on symphonic progressive rock so I'll think about some additional ones (but your list is hugely comprehensive!). One more, for Marillion, I'd start with Brave or Afraid Of Sunlight.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Salem Hill. Start with Be (short songs, devastating concept album) or Mimi's Magic Moment (four longer pieces).

After Crying. Start with Megalázottak És Megszomorítottak or Fold Es Eg. Undescribable, changing with every album.

Second recommendations of: Hatfield and the North (Rotter's Club), Steve Hillage (L), and Advent (Cantus Firmus).

Oh, and if you want to try some keys-heavy prog metal without cookie-monster vocals, try Dream Theatre (Octavarium)

Happy listening!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I’d be honored and appreciative if you checked out my two prog bands, Farpoint and Greyfeather. (Incidentally Greyfeather also includes members of Iluvatar, IZZ, Little Atlas and Cobweb Strange.)
    www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net

Devin Townsend

Nothing but good recommendations so far!.
    Mine will focus for now with:

- Cabezas de Cera:
    http://cabezasdecera.com.mx/

- Luis Alberto Spinetta:
    Solo discography and his various projects:
    Almendra, Pescado Rabioso, Invisible, Spinetta Jade.

Regards,
    Tomás.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

It’s all about finding your own path to musical discovery, deciding what you like and making associations from there. I decided I liked weird stuff and bleepy bloopy electronics, which led me to Krautrock (Can, Amon Düül 2, Faust) and, among other things, these weird albums featuring “modern” electronic “classical” composers. Discovering the likes of Henri Pousseur and Ilhan Mimaroglu proved to me that the bleepy bloopy electronics need not only be the spice of a composition, they could be the music itself.

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Thinking Plague, whatever you can find on CD
    Henry Cow - Western Culture, Legend
    Zappa - One Size Fits All, Hot Rats, Grand Wazoo, Sleep Dirt
    Mike Keneally - hat, Boil That Dust Speck, Dancing, Sluggo, Scambot 1
    5uu's - Hunger's Teeth
    Bruford - One Of A Kind
    Gong - You, Gazeuse

If you are looking to dig deeper into prog, then I suggest starting with some of the absolute classics (well at least in my little mind) from the early days of prog:
    Il Balletto di Bronzo: YS
    Far East Family Band: Nipponjin
    Triumvirat: Illusions on a Double Dimple
    Amon Duul II: Wolf City
    Mythos: Mythos

Now go forth and listen...
    Yatha Sidhra: A Meditation Mass

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Far East Family Band: Nipponjin
    Amon Duul II: Wolf City
    Mythos: Mythos
    Yatha Sidhra: A Meditation Mass
    I own and enjoy these. Wolf City was what drew me into Krautrock, actually.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I just want to recommend a few recent releases that I really like that you might (or might not) have missed.

Koenjihyakkei ~ dhorimviskha. I see Magma on your list. Well, this bands style qualifies as 'Magma on Speed". Dhorimviskha is my favourite release of last year and is probably their most accesible album to date.

Lost Crowns ~ Every night something happens . So far my favorite release of this year and I do not really expect that to change. A mix between 60íes psycheledic pop and avant prog.

Isildurs Bane & Peter Hammill ~ In Amazonia. Two torch bearers of adventurous prog team up for an album and the result is surprising and, above all, surprisingly good! This album is released this year but Isildurs Bane have been around since the late seventies and have done many great things. Worth checking out alltogether.

Julia Holter ~ Aviary. Not really 'prog', but more avant-pop. Think of a modern Kate Bush. I discovered her music recently and have been on a Julia Holter binge since. Last years Album Aviary is my favorite of hers. For me this album has the best balance between experimentations and simply stunning songs