Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black midi - Band

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Good, good stuff.

And find out what the guy doing their vids is smoking and get me a key or so, hey?
    The 'guy' is Nina McNeely. She's a very talented, L.A. based choreographer, director, animator, etc. who also did some incredible work for intense, Argentinian filmmaker Gaspar Noe's Climax (2018). That is where I first became aware of her artistry. The video for John L is masterful, IMO.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    BCNR is great band also. They just released new album today.
    Unfortunately, they seem to have canceled their US tour, or at least some dates. Their singer-lyricist just quit, so that might have something to do with it, as opposed to COVID.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Unfortunately, they seem to have canceled their US tour, or at least some dates. Their singer-lyricist just quit, so that might have something to do with it, as opposed to COVID.
    Damn! I really like the vocalist!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It is due to him quitting, the rest of the band says they'll continue but need time to regroup
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    The video for John L is masterful, IMO.
    There are only six people in it, but you have to carefully to catch on.

My first listen of the new Black Country New Road album was a massive disappointment. The hype seems to have completely neutralised these young fellow's dynamic. I'll give it another try, but only one. P

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    My first listen of the new Black Country New Road album was a massive disappointment. The hype seems to have completely neutralised these young fellow's dynamic. I'll give it another try, but only one. P
    I liked it and I thought the last 3 tracks sounded pretty impressive. Just 1 spin so far though. Lets see how it holds up after multiple spins.

Kind of cool gimmick

The clip visuals certainly helps the music that for me lacks musical substance

Nice catchy riff but…

[QUOTE=Just Eric;1100377]Someone in the Sleepytime Gorilla Museum FB group

I couldn’t find such a group
    Could you share a link please

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I liked it and I thought the last 3 tracks sounded pretty impressive. Just 1 spin so far though. Lets see how it holds up after multiple spins.
    I trust you. I'll listen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Someone in the Sleepytime Gorilla Museum FB group
    It's actually in a Free Salamander Exhibit group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1363...811/?ref=share
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It is due to him quitting, the rest of the band says they'll continue but need time to regroup
    Oh man! That is going to be a tough replacement. I was under the impression that he was the driving force behind a lot of the music.

Neil

warming up to them..although I would still rate them 3rd among the Brixton post-punk/art-rock bands behind Squid and Black Country, New Road (who are a Black Midi spinoff).

[QUOTE=Udi Koomran;1100882]
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Someone in the Sleepytime Gorilla Museum FB group

My mistake Udi, it's the FSE group of which you are a member.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

To me the new BCNR is so much better than the first one. Been on heavy rotation since it’s release. It’s less hectic, more subdued and emotional.

A pity the singer quits due to mental illness. The band won’t play any songs in concert which he sang. Hopefully he’ll return some day.

I'm enjoying the new BCNR as well.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by karel hupjé View Post
    The band won’t play any songs in concert which he sang. Hopefully he’ll return some day.
    I wonder why. Do they maybe consider those lyrics to belong so much to him that no one else should sing them? I've also heard of bands who wrote everything collectively, and would throw out all their older material every time they had a personnel change.

The new BCNR is every bit as good as the debut although I think it hits higher highs whereas Ants From Up There is more consistent.

Isaac Wood will be missed. I'm almost like "what's the point of continuing without out him. No Jon. No Yes?"

Similarly, I love both black midi albums. A lot. And Squid. And Dry Cleaning. What a time to be alive!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    The new BCNR is every bit as good as the debut although I think it hits higher highs whereas Ants From Up There is more consistent.

Isaac Wood will be missed. I'm almost like "what's the point of continuing without out him. No Jon. No Yes?"

Similarly, I love both black midi albums. A lot. And Squid. And Dry Cleaning. What a time to be alive!!!
    Dry Cleaning is a new one for me, checking it out now. All these vocalists like to talk rather than sing.
    Ian

Dry Cleaning is a new one for me, checking it out now. All these vocalists like to talk rather than sing.
    Apparently the cool kids are calling it sprechgesang.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Apparently the cool kids are calling it sprechgesang.
    Mr. Doctor was one of the cool kids.

Ian, I really dig the newest Dry Cleaning album. It's a really interesting mix of elements. A dash of prog/math rock, a bunch of abstract spoken word/sort of singing poetry, all underpinned by a really tight band. I especially dig the groove heavy bass lines in a lot of the tunes. They are supposed to be touring North America, including a stop at a small club in Toronto in the Spring. Hopefully, it will happen.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Ian, I really dig the newest Dry Cleaning album. It's a really interesting mix of elements. A dash of prog/math rock, a bunch of abstract spoken word/sort of singing poetry, all underpinned by a really tight band. I especially dig the groove heavy bass lines in a lot of the tunes. They are supposed to be touring North America, including a stop at a small club in Toronto in the Spring. Hopefully, it will happen.

Neil
    Sweet - looks like May 15th in Boston.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post

Got to see all these bands in this years "wide awake london", was f@%king great!
    Though some disappointment from BCNR show, it seemed like they are drowned in the big stage of the festival and the headbanging croud.
    Same for Dry Cleaning (which I hope to see again in 2 weeks time in the UK in a non-festival show)

Sweet - looks like May 15th in Boston.
    Is the tour still on?