Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite Tangerine Dream albums?

I don't have any details but I have sometimes wondered if Edgar's "losing his way" was perhaps in part due to whatever illness ultimately caused his wife's passing. There aren't a ton of details but there's mention of her passing being due to "a long illness" in 2000. If indeed his wife was sick for an extended period it may well have been difficult to put a ton of focus on TD.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I don't have any details but I have sometimes wondered if Edgar's "losing his way" was perhaps in part due to whatever illness ultimately caused his wife's passing. There aren't a ton of details but there's mention of her passing being due to "a long illness" in 2000. If indeed his wife was sick for an extended period it may well have been difficult to put a ton of focus on TD.
    Interesting idea. Something like that can surely knock you off your pins for a while.

Especially since she wasn't just a passive spouse but appears to have been pretty actively engaged with her husband's art along the way. Again...no proof of that but the rough timeframe lines up.

The Miramar years aligned with my becoming a full on TD fan (Rockoon was the first new TD album to arrive after I became a fan), so I've always had a soft spot for those albums although in truth, my appreciation has more diminished than grown or remained stable. Some pretty great songs in there but none of the albums are terribly high on my own rankings.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I think the early '90s was more about letting Jerome steer the ship. Hearsay in the late '80s was that Edgar had intended to "end" TD (which is interesting, considering what is happening now) and that he even told one person at a concert exactly that after the show, but but he never made a formal statement. I think he invited his son and changed his mind. Whatever it was, at the time Edgar was not interested in retreads, which also played a part in the green light for the Dream Mixes series.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Been on a TD kick lately and reading some of the old posts too. At the time I too felt Edgar lost his way. Probably was trying to follow the pack instead of leading the instrumental music field and finally him trying to incorporate Jerome into the group. The change was jarring when compared to previous work. I really like Turn of the Tides and got all of the albums you mentioned with less and less good results. I know when I got Rockoon I hated it so much that I gave up on TD for a few years. If you weren't told it was a TD album, most would not guess it was just by listening to it. Now I think it's a solid album. I listen to it mainly in the car but it's not really headphone music for me.
    Over 6.5 years later! How time flies. Well, I still feel the same about TotT, but you know what, I've kind of come around on Goblins' Club. The last three tracks are the best, with my favorite being the 11-minute "Sad Merlin's Sunday," the most Edgar-sounding offering on the entire album.

Yeah, that definitely seems to be the case in the early 90's when JF first came on board. I was thinking more about the latter half of the decade leading up to her death.

Either way...not exactly the finest hour for the band.

Especially since she wasn't just a passive spouse but appears to have been pretty actively engaged with her husband's art along the way. Again...no proof of that but the rough timeframe lines up.

The Miramar years aligned with my becoming a full on TD fan (Rockoon was the first new TD album to arrive after I became a fan), so I've always had a soft spot for those albums although in truth, my appreciation has more diminished than grown or remained stable. Some pretty great songs in there but none of the albums are terribly high on my own rankings.
    "Big City Dwarves" is a cool track. It's far and away a better album than Melrose/Tides.

I prefer the time when they improvised live each show so I would recommend checking out the Tangerine Tree and Tangerine Leaves concerts especially before 1979. You should be able to find these on Youtube.
    My ratings change depending on my mood but here is what I would rate them today.
    1970 -1973
    1. Ziet
    2. Atem
    3. Green Desert
    4. Alpha Centauri
    5. Electronic Mediation
    1974-1979
    1. Pheadra
    2. Stratosfear
    3. Oedipus Tyrannus
    4. Rubycon
    5. Ricochet
    6. Sorcerer
    7. Encore
    8. Force Majeure
    9. Cyclone
    1980-1986
    1. Thief
    2. Poland
    3. Quichotte
    4. Logos Live
    5. Tangram
    6. The Keep
    7. Exit
    8. Le Parc
    9. Hyperborea
    10. White Eagle
    11. Risky Business
    12. Fire Starter
    13. Heartbreakers
    14. Flashpoint
    15. Wavelength
    16. Legend
    17. Underwater Sunlight
    I would recommend all the releases up to this point but I have to say that from 1987 to 1998 I listen to these (Live Miles, Canyon Dreams, This Park Is Mine, Miracle Mile, and Near Dark.)
    From 1998 to 2015 I like these in no order:
    Mota Atma
    Mars Polaris
    Great Wall Of China
    The Seven Letters From Tibet
    Transsiberia
    Springtime in Nagasaki
    Sumer In Nagasaki
    Booster
    Views From A Red Train
    Autumn In Hiroshima
    Booster II
    The Endless Season
    Machu Picchu
    Mala Kunia
    Since 2015 I have purchased all the newer releases and enjoy them.
    Also, I would recommend checking out early Klaus Schulze and Peter Baumann (his recent release as Neuland with Paul Haslinger is great!)

Favorites from I've heard - Phaedra, Stratosfear. In the mid-80s I lost interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommymono View Post
    1970 -1973
    1. Ziet
    2. Atem
    3. Green Desert
    4. Alpha Centauri
    5. Electronic Mediation
    1974-1979
    1. Pheadra
    2. Stratosfear
    3. Oedipus Tyrannus
    4. Rubycon
    5. Ricochet
    6. Sorcerer
    7. Encore
    8. Force Majeure
    9. Cyclone
    My interest in TD is these two periods and that's all, though, based on what Green Desert sounds like today, I'd probably place it more in the Phaedra Rubycon era than in the pink years. Hopefully someday, I will hear the Oedipus Tyrannus and buy it as a stand-alone thingie, if available. Though I must say that I can do without the Sorcerer OST.

And yes, early Schulze until the Body Love thingies are definiely worthy (Timewind being my fave), and one day I hope to re-explore the early Froese solo albums (I think I flew by it a bit too quickly back then.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Though I must say that I can do without the Sorcerer OST.
    You gotta get your groove back!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Over 6.5 years later! How time flies. Well, I still feel the same about TotT, but you know what, I've kind of come around on Goblins' Club. The last three tracks are the best, with my favorite being the 11-minute "Sad Merlin's Sunday," the most Edgar-sounding offering on the entire album.
    I have to give Goblin's Club another spin. I know I got it as soon as it was released, gave it a couple of listens and haven't heard from it again. That's a problem for me with TD. There are so many releases that I don't always give it enough time to sink in. Actually, after Rockoon, which caused me to stop following TD for a bit, that's when I got off of 'autobuy' for TD. I've gone back and filled in most of the releases up to Phaedra 2005, which I didn't care for. After that it's been the odd cd I pick up from them. I did listen to Sessions 2 the other day, so maybe it's time to visit the Atomic series , Boosters etc. Or save my pennies for the box sets!

I have to give Goblin's Club another spin. I know I got it as soon as it was released, gave it a couple of listens and haven't heard from it again. That's a problem for me with TD. There are so many releases that I don't always give it enough time to sink in. Actually, after Rockoon, which caused me to stop following TD for a bit, that's when I got off of 'autobuy' for TD. I've gone back and filled in most of the releases up to Phaedra 2005, which I didn't care for. After that it's been the odd cd I pick up from them. I did listen to Sessions 2 the other day, so maybe it's time to visit the Atomic series , Boosters etc. Or save my pennies for the box sets!
    Get the 2008 album Views from a Red Train. As with a few others around that time, it's really an Edgar solo with contributions from Thorsten, Linda and Bernard (Biebl, guitarist).

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I kind of lost interest after Lily on the Beach, though I caught them whenever they toured in the area. I kept up with the boxes like Tangents, Dream Roots and Beyond the Storm, and then years later picked up all the Ambient Highway and Booster sets, and got some pretty good overviews from Ballads and Electronic Journey.

My TOP Favourite: TANGRAM

And the rest but selective:

Thief score
    Sorcerer score
    Ricochet
    Stratosphere* (#2 Favorite)
    Optical Race (only time I saw them Live, my #3)
    Encore Live
    Poland
    Logos
    Exit

Worst: Cyclone - Marked the departure of Peter Baumann and added dreadful vocals by Steve Jolliffe. Only for the diehard IMHO.

I'm one of those weirdos who has come around on Cyclone after disliking it for years.

"Rising Runner" is still not my cuppa but the other two tracks are actually really terrific to my ears. Outside the vocal sections on "Bent Cold Sidewalk" it's a really excellent instrumental groove, and Jolliffe's flute work sits nicely in the ensemble. And "Madrigal Meridian?" WOW...sidelong instrumental monster.

I'm one of those weirdos who has come around on Cyclone after disliking it for years.

"Rising Runner" is still not my cuppa but the other two tracks are actually really terrific to my ears. Outside the vocal sections on "Bent Cold Sidewalk" it's a really excellent instrumental groove, and Jolliffe's flute work sits nicely in the ensemble. And "Madrigal Meridian?" WOW...sidelong instrumental monster.
    I like "Bent Cold Sidewalk" a lot. For them, it's really different, and I'm glad Krieger stuck around for Force Majeure (their "prog rock duology"). "Rising Runner" is okay, but it feels like a jam that got salvaged.

Get the 2008 album Views from a Red Train. As with a few others around that time, it's really an Edgar solo with contributions from Thorsten, Linda and Bernard (Biebl, guitarist).

This is a good track with some tasty guitar. But its one with the sequencer driving the track has been used over and over. Even though I never heard this track before, I feel I know it. I guess after all the great music he's produced, he's entitled but its the reason I got off of 'autobuy' for TD.

A fan of Cyclone. Bent Cold Sidewalk is a killer track, Rising Runner is a swing and a miss and Madrigal Meridian is great. I especially love the beginning of the track. I should have just said I totally I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Worst: Cyclone - Marked the departure of Peter Baumann and added dreadful vocals by Steve Jolliffe. Only for the diehard IMHO.

Yeah, it was a bit of a WTF album for my first ten years of owning it, but slowly, it permeated me... I kind of like that it's rather different. Did we really need another Stratos-Core album?

I like "Bent Cold Sidewalk" a lot. For them, it's really different, and I'm glad Krieger stuck around for Force Majeure (their "prog rock duology"). "Rising Runner" is okay, but it feels like a jam that got salvaged.
    Yup, BCS is the major track on Cyclone, IMHO

and Force Majeure is really their last great album.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    and Force Majeure is really their last great album.
    Disagree. Johannes Schmoelling shows up in 1980.

Force Majeure is absolutely the last great TD album released in the 70's.

This is a good track with some tasty guitar. But its one with the sequencer driving the track has been used over and over. Even though I never heard this track before, I feel I know it. I guess after all the great music he's produced, he's entitled but its the reason I got off of 'autobuy' for TD.
    Which is why I dig it. But it's not representative of the whole thing. I think you'll like it.

Force Majeure is absolutely the last great TD album released in the 70's.
    Co-signed!

Which is why I dig it. But it's not representative of the whole thing. I think you'll like it.
    I'll give it a go. I'm looking at other newer TD, I have Quantum Key which is very good and Mila Kuna which is just ok. I initially thought they should retire the TD name after Edgar passed, but after listening to some of the newer stuff, I am optimistic that they can produce some very good music.