Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Pineapple Thief to tour North America

Am downloading the Cambridge show as I write. The samples sound great, so it's worth grabbing. Been following the tour set lists, and they seem to be solidly the same at each show. No complaints here, but after 20 years TPT has a huge back catalogue of albums and all contain many gems. Only a few have been performed. I'm surprised. Too bad, IMO the band should give the US audience a greater variety and audio exposure of TPT sound. None the less I'm still excited that I'll be seeing them this next week. Thanks for everyone's feedback.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Well. I saw them last night in Toronto. A drummer friend of mine loves them, and worships at the kick drum pedal of Mr. Harrison, lol. The venue was sold out, and the crowd was super appreciative. They are tight, solid performers and put on a good show. A lot of people seem to love their latest album. Personally, they just don't resonate with me. I find the music fairly same-y, not that dynamic and more alternative rock, than anything, so that would explain my personal lack of love. My other friend felt the same. However, as I said, the crowd was very enthusiastic and into it, so what do i know, and I imagine that if you like this band, you will love it.

neil
    As mentioned above ^^^, the back catalogue has many gems. All of my favs are on the older albums. Plus most of the older tracks have a variety of music styles and track lengths. But they were also much more experimental in the old days, blending alternative rock with psychedelic space and prog. But I'm still a fan boy, and happy I'll be seeing them. But do check out the back catalogue as IMO it does not disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    I'm shocked and saddened by the fact that TPT's first US tour is here and that no one has chimed in about any of the shows so far. The last post here was in May. What, no love here for this highly talented band? With the addition of Gavin Harrison, I assumed that the band would get more exposure, which I believe has happened, but when it comes down to the PE forum, you sure could have fooled me. I'll be seeing them in L.A. on Dec. 9th, and am quite ecstatic about it. If anyone here has seen any of the shows so far, please let us know about your experience. And once again, where's the love?...Gee Whiz.
    I'm opening all of the TPT shows on this run (except the two in Mexico), and the tour has been fantastic. They're crushing every night, and the audiences have been great. See you in LA...

I was excited to see them at NEARFest back in the day. I’m mostly a fan of the work from Little Man through All The Wars. The last few albums aren’t connecting as much with me (though I did like Disillusion). Based on the set lists I have seen, I don’t think I would get as much out of this tour than I did back then.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Randy,
    Enjoyed your set opening for Flying Colors at the Keswick. Your
    Play a mean guitar!

Quote Originally Posted by Marltonfan1 View Post
    Randy,
    Enjoyed your set opening for Flying Colors at the Keswick. Your
    Play a mean guitar!
    Amazing strumming skills. He actually "broke" his guitar in Chicago last night!

Quote Originally Posted by RMcStine View Post
    I'm opening all of the TPT shows on this run (except the two in Mexico), and the tour has been fantastic. They're crushing every night, and the audiences have been great. See you in LA...
    Hey Randy! What a great show last night in Mesa, AZ! I was very impressed. Too bad you were in the dark for the first number! And that loud band in the other performance area certainly didn't help but you handled it very well.

I bought two CDs from the Merch table and look forward to hearing them. I had hoped to chat with you after the show but ducked out just a bit early to start my long drive back to Tucson.

The Pineapple Thief were just great. I really enjoyed the band. And of course, watching Gavin from the front of the stage was sheer joy.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    We really enjoyed Randy opening for Flying Colors

Well after waiting for years, TPT in Los Angeles DID-NOT disappoint in any way whatsoever. I earlier complained about the set-list not having enough songs from their back-catalogue, but it really didn't matter, as every song presented gave a powerful punch, with the band being very tight and energized. It looked like it didn't quite sell out, but the audience that did show certainly appreciated and highly acknowledged the group. All of the musicians performed flawlessly. Gavin Harrison did not overwhelm, and balanced with everyone else brilliantly. But I will say that one of today's top prog drummer poster child's played so good that he was a joy to behold and of course to hear. And leader, guitarist, vocalist Bruce Soord? Finally getting the previously denied recognition he deserves as a brilliant song-writer and performer. And me? Very happy. I couldn't be more satisfied. Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Well after waiting for years, TPT in Los Angeles DID-NOT disappoint in any way whatsoever. I earlier complained about the set-list not having enough songs from their back-catalogue, but it really didn't matter, as every song presented gave a powerful punch, with the band being very tight and energized. It looked like it didn't quite sell out, but the audience that did show certainly appreciated and highly acknowledged the group. All of the musicians performed flawlessly. Gavin Harrison did not overwhelm, and balanced with everyone else brilliantly. But I will say that one of today's top prog drummer poster child's played so good that he was a joy to behold and of course to hear. And leader, guitarist, vocalist Bruce Soord? Finally getting the previously denied recognition he deserves as a brilliant song-writer and performer. And me? Very happy. I couldn't be more satisfied. Congratulations!
    What great points and observations! I fully agree.
    In particular, it would be easy for Gavin to run away with the show but one of his great strengths is knowing what is needed. He has no problem delivering whatever is needed.

I really enjoyed the playful atmosphere the band projected. They rolled with the punches caused by tech/situational issues and entertained us in a big way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Hey Randy! What a great show last night in Mesa, AZ! I was very impressed. Too bad you were in the dark for the first number! And that loud band in the other performance area certainly didn't help but you handled it very well.

I bought two CDs from the Merch table and look forward to hearing them. I had hoped to chat with you after the show but ducked out just a bit early to start my long drive back to Tucson.
    Hey! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the performance. That venue was a bit...difficult, but sometimes there's a charm to that.

Keep in touch!

Hey! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the performance. That venue was a bit...difficult, but sometimes there's a charm to that.

Keep in touch!
    What a charming understatement!
    That venue really was one of the worst I have seen (for performers)...I don't know how you all made it look so professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    What a charming understatement!
    That venue really was one of the worst I have seen (for performers)...I don't know how you all made it look so professional.
    That venue in particular really compromised the look/feel of the "normal" show (i.e. TPT's lighting director couldn't bring in their proper lighting package), but you have to do the best you can, regardless of the circumstances. Nonetheless, the response on this tour has been overwhelmingly positive for the band and myself, so that will hopefully bode well for a return to a more suitable space in the future.

That venue in particular really compromised the look/feel of the "normal" show (i.e. TPT's lighting director couldn't bring in their proper lighting package), but you have to do the best you can, regardless of the circumstances. Nonetheless, the response on this tour has been overwhelmingly positive for the band and myself, so that will hopefully bode well for a return to a more suitable space in the future.
    Yes, my pal in San Francisco says he really enjoyed the show there a few nights ago. He said it was shoulder-to-shoulder.

I had wondered about the lights at our show; I had seen some pretty cool effects on some on-line videos of other shows so I knew things were curtailed at our show due to the venue.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Anyone see the Vancouver, BC show Friday? Man, so close for me but still, with a return ferry trip and hotel, and it being so close to Christmas, I just couldn't swing this. Would have loved to though!