Thread: Traffic- The Last Great Traffic Jam

Traffic- The Last Great Traffic Jam

Any Traffic fans care to comment of the performance of the DVD and does every Traffic fan need this in the collection????...Looks like a great set-list...

I have a DVD of their show at Woodstock II and it's great. Same lineup here.

It was a real good tour-- though IMHO Winwood's later comeback tours were even better. No Capaldi, but it was definitely Traffic in sound and spirit.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    It was a real good tour-- though IMHO Winwood's later comeback tours were even better. No Capaldi, but it was definitely Traffic in sound and spirit.
    What years do you mean? Just not familiar enough with Winwood's career...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I have a DVD of their show at Woodstock II and it's great. Same lineup here.
    Yup, while they were the main absentee at Woodstock 69, they certainly showed the yopung gebnerationhow to do it

as for the DVDn it's actually pretty good too... More energy than in the Santa monica 72
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I may misundertsand you, but Capaldi was on Last Great Traffic Jam ... It's Chris wood that's missing...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What years do you mean? Just not familiar enough with Winwood's career...
    2003-present, but especially earlier in that run. He was playing only Hammond organ, and the band had sax and percussion, so there was a nice vintage feel with a lot of jamming. And "About Time" was far closer to a vintage Traffic album than the official Traffic comeback "Far From Home".

He's still real good, but it looks like the current band is slicker and he's working the synths and 80s material back in.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    2003-present, but especially earlier in that run. He was playing only Hammond organ, and the band had sax and percussion, so there was a nice vintage feel with a lot of jamming. And "About Time" was far closer to a vintage Traffic album than the official Traffic comeback "Far From Home".

He's still real good, but it looks like the current band is slicker and he's working the synths and 80s material back in.
    Sounds good. I thought you meant Winwood doing solo shows. Didn't know he had been touring a version of Traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Sounds good. I thought you meant Winwood doing solo shows. Didn't know he had been touring a version of Traffic.
    It was under his own name, but the set was heavy on Traffic songs and the spirit of the band was there. (Apparently there WOULD have been a Traffic tour if Capaldi had lived).

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Are Winwood's last 2, 2003: "About Time" and 2008: "Nine Lives" recommended? The guy's not exactly prolific.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Are Winwood's last 2, 2003: "About Time" and 2008: "Nine Lives" recommended? The guy's not exactly prolific.

About Time
    is easily the best solo album he's made since the debut (77) IMHO...

Some of it sounds like excellent 70's Santana

Haven't hear 9L yet.
    Last edited by Trane; 02-11-2016 at 05:47 AM.

I only ever saw bits of this one in a Winwood documentary. There is a DVD of them in the early 70s, from Santa Monica.

Agreed with all this. Dug out About Time for the first time in a while last year and I'd forgotten how strong it was, maybe his best solo release. Nine Lives isn't quite as strong but worth having if you have the other one...they are kind of a pair, really.