Thread: Genesis Trespass era video with Phillips and Mayhew surfaces, any information ?

Genesis Trespass era video with Phillips and Mayhew surfaces, any information ?

If this was discussed here, I missed it.

The footage features Anthony Phillips and John Mayhew and it was recorded during the Atomic Sunrise Festival 1970

Around 2 years ago I read about screenings this footage and proceeds of the screening would be used for further editing of the film for a DVD release.

Does someone knows something about it?

the minute available in youtube looks really promising.

20 pages by time the next week end comes around...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Wow, decent footage. Too bad the audio is dubbed from the studio recordings, otherwise this would be a treasured rare gem. Still I guess its worth viewing.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Too bad the audio is dubbed from the studio recordings
    "The Knife" is, but I think the version of "Looking For Someone" is different. There's a click track, the "that" in "I guess I'm doing that" is abrupt and "I know you well" has been replaced by "I heard him say". I don't think I've heard this version.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I believe the LfS audio is from this:

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    "The Knife" is, but I think the version of "Looking For Someone" is different. There's a click track, the "that" in "I guess I'm doing that" is abrupt and "I know you well" has been replaced by "I heard him say". I don't think I've heard this version.
    Yeah, I believe that's the early BBC studio version easily obtainable. Still hoping not all of the film is dubbed.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Here's hoping they manage to recover the clip of them performing on British TV, I forget which show, with Mick Barnard on guitar. I believe it's been said the tape was wiped, but apparently Gabriel sang live to playback (meaning the lead vocal was live, everything else wasn't), and the sound engineer apparently put too much echo on his voice or something like that. I thought it was said that was the band's first TV appearance, though.

^I'd say the chances of that 'Disco 2' appearance turning up are next to nil. The BBC unfortunately junked this material decades ago. It's a minor miracle that 'Nightride' session exists- that's probably the single most valuable Genesis archive material, consisting almost entirely of songs they never recorded in the studio.

This film materialised years ago and was, I believe, shown in full at some point. But the sound doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Here's hoping they manage to recover the clip of them performing on British TV, I forget which show, with Mick Barnard on guitar. I believe it's been said the tape was wiped
    That's right, sadly the BBC used to wipe their tapes and re-use them, resulting in the loss of hundreds (thousands?) of hours of music and comedy programs that would have been gold today. Such a shame, as the footage you're talking about would be amazing to see, as would any live footage of their (first) four-piece lineup in late 1970 with Tony playing the guitar parts on keys!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    apparently Gabriel sang live to playback (meaning the lead vocal was live, everything else wasn't)
    Yes, a common practice in those days, like the footage of Tull doing "A Song For Jeffrey" with Tony Iommi.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It's a minor miracle that 'Nightride' session exists- that's probably the single most valuable Genesis archive material, consisting almost entirely of songs they never recorded in the studio.
    Well, the entire disc of tracks from 1967-1969 on the first Archive set gives the Nightride session a run for its money there! But I do agree that it's against the odds that it survived (same with the 'Jackson tapes') and even officially released. I had those songs for years on cassette, but they seemed destined to remain in the halls of the bootlegged...

I love that early period of the band, right as they were beginning the transition into the dreamy 12-string acoustic music that made the very early 70s Genesis so magical. And just imagine Tony Banks singing a solo lead vocal as he does on "The Shepherd"!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The Story about this film is very peculiar.

The Genesis part is said to be about 20 min. (there seems to be also recordings of Hawkwind and David Bowie) in black and white.

The owner (who might not be in legal posession of it) of that stuff wanted a fortune for the film and Tony Smith was about to sue him.

The audio to that is rumored to exist too. There is a 20 sec. fragment on a Radio Show LP ("Earth News Radio" or something close) of
    Twilight Alehouse.

The whereabouts of the audio part is unkown though.

The 'Archive' 60s stuff is great to have but it's a very different band. The 'Nightride' stuff and the later discovery of 'The Jackson Tapes' gave us material in the same style as 'Trespass', which was very welcome. That 'rough mix' of 'In The Wilderness' was basically one channel summed to mono, as far as I can make out- the stereo mix of 'Revelation' is far from sophisticated so it was easy to do that on all the songs with strings.

That performance of 'The Knife' is not really a loss on a musical level, only as a visual record. I think VDGG and a host of other progressive groups were on 'Disco 2'.

Well, it seems to be more to the story of this tape to what we know over here

Extract from an article in The Independent, see link bellow for full article

The film's director-producer, Adrian Everett, first heard of the footage in the late 1970s. Everett tracked it for years and with the film and the rights secured, his next task was to see exactly what it contained. He spent the next three days watching 33 hours of rushes.

“It was adding the sound and seeing the film come to life that made me realise how important it is,” he remembers.

Taking time out from editing an hour-long first cut of a film that has travelled with him for more than 30 years, Everett admits that it's “nerve-wracking wondering if people will be pleased with the result”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...m-8466113.html

Wow, incredible! Trespass is my favorite Genesis album. I'm guessing "The Knife" is dubbed, unfortunately ...

Rumor : "the entire footage for this concert is going to be released on September 22 for online streaming "