Page 195 of 196 FirstFirst ... 95145185191192193194195196 LastLast
Results 4,851 to 4,875 of 4886

Thread: New Releases Only

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Yeah I had forgotten how bad the vocals were on that. The 2nd and new albums are very good, so when I saw the reissue I got all excited about it. I'm glad I gave the first album a virtual spin over on Bandcamp... It brought back a long lost memory of listening to samples back in 2010 and deciding "no thank you". As you say, WTF? The band are excellent musicians. Surely they could hear the problems? No?
    Yeah, egg on my face for not sampling this. Like you, I really like Second Split, and like the new one. Since both were instrumental, I just assumed the earlier stuff was too. Wrong! Even my wife was wincing at some of those vocals. Just brutal.

There may be enough instrumental stuff to salvage something off if this. There are some good moments, and a few songs where the singer is a little better. I also haven't yet listened to the 2003 demos. If I can cobble a decent CDR out of these two discs, I'll be fine.

Bill

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This Blu-Ray/CD set on Bandcamp can't be embedded it seems, so:

Robert Reed & Friends
    Sanctuary Live At Newbury

Recorded at a one-off show in 2023 in Newbury, which is probably in Wales. It's amazingly well-filmed and recorded, and an excellent concert with a large ensemble and special guests. Definitely recommended for the Robert Reed fan, and according to Reed, available in only a limited quantity, so buy early.

https://robertreed.bandcamp.com/albu...t-newbury-2023

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I wonder why they didn’t put this on Bandcamp?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I wonder why they didn’t put this on Bandcamp?
    Its not even mentioned on their Facebook. Norwegian musicians and marketing... selling outside Norway doesn't seem very important to them. Or something...

A friend of mine knows Bjørn Klakegg personally, and will pickup the CD next week.

New single from Simone Simons from a forthcoming album in August

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    A new album Potential Deltas from Methexis (aka Nikitas Kissonas):

I thought the last album Topos was magnificent. This one, whilst very different, is equally interesting. Kissonas has a unique sensibility, there is nobody else making records that sound like this.
    Nikitas is obviously a unique talent, maybe too talented in a sense, certainly too talented for the country that we both live in. An immense "what the fuck?" hangs above his new record, there are vocals, with lyrics mixed in Greek and English, there are parts with highly innovative arrangements, there are tons of quality synth pop music that could make him a name if he chose to write simple songs, there are abrupt and random changes of styles, from jazz licks to Tangerine Dream like electronic music. And there is the whole side B of the album, which is drawn from traditional Greek music, with which Nikitas has no real experience (but it is remarkably good). The disdain for what the listener might expect is astonishing, and one wonders if this album is relevant to anybody else than himself - and maybe some devoted lovers of weird music. The whole project's coherence lies on its storytelling, because in my opinion storytelling (not necessarily in words) is what motivates Nikitas as a musician. I don't know if the record will stand the test of time (and what does in our days?), but it makes for a really interesting and original listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Nikitas is obviously a unique talent, maybe too talented in a sense, certainly too talented for the country that we both live in. An immense "what the fuck?" hangs above his new record, there are vocals, with lyrics mixed in Greek and English, there are parts with highly innovative arrangements, there are tons of quality synth pop music that could make him a name if he chose to write simple songs, there are abrupt and random changes of styles, from jazz licks to Tangerine Dream like electronic music. And there is the whole side B of the album, which is drawn from traditional Greek music, with which Nikitas has no real experience (but it is remarkably good). The disdain for what the listener might expect is astonishing, and one wonders if this album is relevant to anybody else than himself - and maybe some devoted lovers of weird music. The whole project's coherence lies on its storytelling, because in my opinion storytelling (not necessarily in words) is what motivates Nikitas as a musician. I don't know if the record will stand the test of time (and what does in our days?), but it makes for a really interesting and original listen.
    Me too. Thanks for taking the time "wording out" a down to earth appraisal of what's going down here.

He makes stuff that sounds sometimes awesome sometimes plain weird ,but in the whole the noises emanating are on the pleasurable side of the scale, "fuck it let's dance" Grace Brothers eat your heart out"

New, mammoth release from Ghost Rhythms

48 years later, Absolute Elsewhere returns, 3 of the original members with another Crimson drummer

Paul Fishman / keyboards, vocals. flute
    Jon Astrop / bass. vocals, trombone, glockenspiel
    Phil Saatchi / guitar, vocals, vibes
    Andrew McCulloch / drums

Looks like these are recordings from 1976. See https://tinnitist.com/2024/05/13/abs...0s-playground/ for more background.
    Still, great find. Only digital format though.

Yeah. I think the drummer Andy McCullough retired somewhere around the 1980's.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Also, I wish they had released it on Bandcamp as a HQ digital download.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Thanks for unpacking this a little - typically insightful, if I may say so.

People who make records without concern for their relevance to anyone but themselves are all too rare, I feel. Sometimes you get a Beefheart or a Marcœur.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Meanwhile over on the "Sax on the web forum" one of the dudes released this a week or two ago. A couple of ken't names appear. More of an EP really. I listened/Am listening in an order of short to long that seems to work.

I missed this release in March. The second album of Magick Brother and Mystic Sister. I loved their s/t first album and will certainly check this one out.

2cd comp of unreleased live tracks and some studio tracks from Gastr del Sol(Jim O'Rourke and David Grubbs).

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
    I missed this release in March. The second album of Magick Brother and Mystic Sister. I loved their s/t first album and will certainly check this one out.

I just noticed that too, and like you, I really loved their debut. This one is a different animal. Not sure how I feel about it yet. It may depend on how much one takes to the style.

Neil

Look who is back again

^ Slow start, but picks up nicely. I like it. But who am I kidding? I have all their other releases (I think,) so I'll undoubtedly buy this one.

I don't know if you've listened to that record, but it was love at first sight for me. I've discovered it with "notes reviews" who did a great video about it. It's pure harmonies and melodies. Clearly there are many influences (Genesis, Marillion, Alan Parsons Project, Pink Floyd). They are French. And for an independent release, what a sound. And the run time is exciting too. A long suite and 2 long songs. It's clearly classic prog but sounding more modern.

https://lunear.bandcamp.com/album/from-above

Last edited by Jose1106; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose1106 View Post
    I don't know if you've listened to that record, but it was love at first sight for me. I've discovered it with "notes reviews" who did a great video about it. It's pure harmonies and melodies. Clearly there are many influences (Genesis, Marillion, Alan Parsons Project, Pink Floyd). They are French. And for an independent release, what a sound. And the run time is exciting too. A long suite and 2 long songs. It's clearly classic prog but sounding more modern.

https://lunear.bandcamp.com/album/from-above

The opening track is a real steal from Hackett around the 16-mins
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    The opening track is a real steal from Hackett around the 16-mins
    There is a taste of Hierophant here ;-)
    Who can blame them

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    New Aquaserge

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Porthishead's Geoff Burrow's project Beak has a wonderful new album out, with lots of Krautrock and Robert Wyatt vibes. Highly recommended.