Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is being a music snob such a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post

I think I know the "songwriter" you're referring to; I forget the name, but it's irrelevant because it was just some made-up name anyway, like most of the (c)rap and hip-hop artists. I probably hate that music as much as you do, but there is not much either of us can do about it. We can mention names of musicians we like, we can try and expose people to the music we like, but ultimately it's their choice.
    Is it snobbery to assume that because a rap artist doesn't use his real name, doesn't write his own music and is popular that makes him and his music crap? I could mention names of rap artists I like and expose you to some of the good stuff out there, but ultimately it won't make a difference.

So I agree. Snobbery is not a good thing.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

The fact that I hate rap/hip-hop doesn't make me a snob...it just makes me someone who hates rap/hip-hop
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Is it snobbery to assume that because a rap artist doesn't use his real name, doesn't write his own music and is popular that makes him and his music crap? I could mention names of rap artists I like and expose you to some of the good stuff out there, but ultimately it won't make a difference.

So I agree. Snobbery is not a good thing.
    ... which is basically the same as what I said.

There is some rap I think creatively done:

(in the video the letters should have been jewish, since the singerin is jewish, not muslim)

Rap has a lot of people that write their own music and rhymes, not to mention some creative soundscapes. But, as with any popular genre, those who are truly experimenting are out on the fringes.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I've been called a music snob before. I wear it like a badge of honor!

I love people that have opinions and are articulate in voicing them.

Makes life interesting. Waaaay more interesting.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    The fact that I hate rap/hip-hop doesn't make me a snob...it just makes me someone who hates rap/hip-hop
    And that's fine. I don't like most of it. There are a select few artists whom I enjoy. The only thing I worry about is when an entire genre is dismissed out of hand. There is merit there, even in the stuff I don't like (and that holds true for any genre of music or any art for that matter).

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ... which is basically the same as what I said.
    Cheers then!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I love people that have opinions and are articulate in voicing them.

Makes life interesting. Waaaay more interesting.
    Exactly. And when someone disagrees, you suddenly become a snob.

I like individuals more than 'sheeople'

I hear you..In all seriousness, I love small batch bourbon and higher ABV IPA's, their not inexpensive at all..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    You should see the prices we're dealing with in the PE Single Malt Scotch group.

I have plenty of respect for Rap/hip hop. Especially the early 80's stuff up til around the early 90's. Very groundbreaking, fertile time for the genre.
    Like Polmico said, it's a drag when an entire genre is dragged down because of a few losers. When I hear people say "rap isn't singing! ", I wanna throttle em! Of course, it isn't conventional singing. They didn't set *out* to sing. Its rapping! All about rhythm and timing.

During the summer, I work at a sleep away camp and run the radio station. So its sometimes tough to keep my "snobbery" in check when some kids wanna play shit like One Direction. I don't want anyone to feel bad or left out,so I let em play what they like. However. ..I spill my guts truthfully if they ever *ask* for my opinions. (& I've 'converted' several young minds to prog over the years, I'm proud to say!)
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 06-17-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    We place high value on strong musicianship, eclecticism, intelligent lyrics etc etc.

you mean like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uDUqWYYSfo

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    And that's fine. I don't like most of it. There are a select few artists whom I enjoy. The only thing I worry about is when an entire genre is dismissed out of hand. There is merit there, even in the stuff I don't like (and that holds true for any genre of music or any art for that matter).
    I see your point...though for me, I'm comfortable dismissing the entire genre
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    I see your point...though for me, I'm comfortable dismissing the entire genre
    Well, I have heard a few - very few - examples where it's effective, mostly as a portion of rap inside a "normal" song (i.e. one that also features singing) rather than a complete rap piece. Examples that spring to mind are "Rapture" by Blondie, and "West End Girls" by the Pet Shop boys.

Also, for some reason I don't mind "The Message", possibly because it's considered the first, and also it actually seems to be talking some sense. Incidentally, I forgot to include Grandmaster Flash in the "genre creators" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Nah those guys are too good to be called prog.

Haven't met anyone who I agree with 100% when it comes to music, but it's not hard to tell when someone cares and is well informed. Usually learning that you were wrong leads to something good and going out of your way to avoid alienating people you disagree with can pay off. Still you often have little or no control of what toothless brain dead turd lickers believe. It's not like there's a universally accepted definition or proof that can be applied to determine snobbery...I kind of agree that life is too short to kiss ass all the time.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I think there is a difference between developing taste and being a snob. A snob develops taste and then is a dick about it. It doesn't have to be so.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Most so-called dubbed music-snobs are generally lacking in many other areas. And, more importantly, are full of themselves/siht.;-) ( it can be a lonely existence for those weirdos LOL).

When it comes to beer, I can't drink crap. If you see any man purchasing a lite or watered down beer, there's an 8 out of 10 chance that man is an alcoholic. Quantity and cheapness over quality is a sad state of affairs. Enjoy yourself and treat yourself to the little time you have left is my motto during my down-time.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Not at all.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

In the real world (not this online world) I might be a rock snob, or rockist. I like guitar rock more than any other music I listen to. It's very rare that I meet other rockists in real life, and if I do they're usually guys my age. The young people I meet who like hard rock/heavy metal like hip hop and pop country as well.

re:
    The 'guilty pleasures' thing should have been drowned at birth. See how dumb it is when you have songs of the calibre of Ace's 'How Long' and Colin Blunstone's 'Say You Don't Mind' on a compilation called 'Guilty Pleasures'. It's quite insulting really, who is this arbiter that makes out you should be ashamed of liking songs like that?
    It's actually juvenile and childish if you ask me. People who actually turn their noses up and have an air of superiority actually exist. I only meet them on message boards though. This idea that if they find some music pleasing but it's deemed "inferior" is just juvenile (imo). You expect that in highschool, not from someone in his 40s or 50s. There are less snobs on PE than there used to be. I can only think of 1 or 2 (that openly display it).

Clap clap clap! Thanks! I like what I like. A lot of music that I like I'm sure many here would not like, and consider it inferior to prog. Sorry, I just don't like hip hop. I hate "talking" on records, I want to hear singing and people playing instruments. I love me some good old funk and soul from the 60s and 70s, but I hate hip hop. Sorry. I'm not interested in "discovering" anything in that genre. Obviously, hip hop is not going anywhere, it's been around for 30 or more years. If you like it, great. I'm not a hater because I don't like it. I don't even like classical music. I guess I'm supposed to be embarrassed about that. I like symphonic prog but I don't care for classical music. I'd explore classical before hip hop without hesitation but if it's okay for me to not like either than I'm okay with it.

The idea of some music being better? The thought seems pointless. One could argue that the point/purpose of pop music is entirely different from a lot of what we (on PE) listen to. For those who want to have pop music playing in the background or to dance to at a club and enjoy that...maybe that music is fitting the bill perfectly for that purpose. There is more interesting music that could fulfill that purpose, but those who enjoy that sort of thing by and large aren't seeing that anything is missing or needs to be fixed.
    <sig out of order>

I think in order to develop tastes in various things, the medium has to speak to you. As such, musically, in addition to progressive rock, I like:

a) Classic rock: The rock of my youth
    b) Classic country: I'm talking about George Strait, Alan Jackson, Clint Black, Reba McIntyre and other similarly aged artists. I don't care for country-rock that was popularized by Shania Twain and her husband, Mutt Lange.
    c) Classical Music: The music of my formative yers, thanks to my classical music-loving mother.
    d) Jazz Fusion: An offshoot of prog
    e) Jazz piano: Bill Evans and like artists.
    f) New Age: Sue me. It is relaxing.
    g) Instrumental guitar, piano and woodwinds. I can listen to Stoltzman's clarinet pieces all day.

Wine: Whatever I enjoy drinking. Could cost $5 or $50. Mostly Cabernets, Shirazes, Chiantis, and Merlots. Occasionally like a Chardonnay or Reisling.

Beer: Depending on the locale. Alongside the pool, a Dos Equis. After cutting the grass, a Coors Light. With Asian food, a Sapporo. When I am in a bar, Guinness, Bass, Newcastle, Smithwick's or Harp. At a BBQ, Shiner Bock.

Politics: Don't care which ideology, just understand the classics and foundation. Don't parrot talking heads on Fox News or CNN/MSNBC; I'll get bored.

Don't care for hip-hop, rap or angry/angst-ridden rock and metal. It simply doesn't speak to me.

Don't care for trendy crafted beers like the IPAs. Microbrews are hit or miss for me...

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I thought I might be a beer snob, and then I realized that too many IPA's taste like grapefruit's ass. Now I just like what I like, some of it comes from small brewers, some come from large ones. A lot of it comes from England. There are a few micro-brewers in my neck of the woods I have yet to try. Perhaps I'll get to them this summer.

Wine? I've found that my taste readily exceeds my meager wages. So, there isn't much of that. The same goes for spirits.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Fight The Power!

Yes.