Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Page...oh man.

Jimmy Page...oh man.

Ok. I Know I'm several decades late for this party, & in the past, I *had* read about the musicians Jimmy Page "borrowed" from. But only for the very 1st time today have I heard Bert Jansch's "Black Waterside". All I can say is "holy crap". Seriously, just about note-for-note! Right down to the *title* too.

Big question that immediately popped into my head- How did Jansch react to Black Mountainside??

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

meimjustalawnmower
    Listen and learn...

Then there is this famous intro similar to Spirit:

There are several compilation albums out like this one, compiling the originals LZ "borrowed" from:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Roots-Of-L...zeppelin+roots

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post

Big question that immediately popped into my head- How did Jansch react to Black Mountainside??
    Jansh wasn't an author too.

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    Listen and learn...

Learn what?)) Jimmy played this tune with Yardbirds and with Jake Holmes on vocals. And any LZ interpretation of this was by a long shot better.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Do you seriously need the answer to this idiotic question - who was JP?

Spirit thing doesn't impress. While LZ thing is a masterpiece. What a cruel world, right?

Jimmy Page...oh man.
    Yes, he is THE MAN. Rene Magritte of blues rock.

^ I agree. The Spirit thing might've been a coincidence (or maybe not), but tough shit! .
    Last edited by Vic2012; 12-04-2012 at 04:31 AM.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Page wasn't the only artist to ever lift a riff from old blues artists, but he was the richest, thus the one that got sued. BTW, I agree that they shoulda got sued. What was he thinking?

I also agree that his interpretations of those songs mopped the floor with the originals. Yeah, Page ripped off Whole Lotta Love, but it sure did smoke.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Jimmy played this tune with Yardbirds and with Jake Holmes on vocals. And any LZ interpretation of this was by a long shot better.
    Which wouldn't be so bad if he hadn't claimed writing credits on all of these songs.

During my blues obsession in the 1980's, I happened to pick up an old Sonny Boy Williamson album and was shocked to hear a song that was basically the acoustic intro to LZ's "Bring It On Home"... right down to the "underwater" vocals.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Learn what?)) Jimmy played this tune with Yardbirds and with Jake Holmes on vocals. And any LZ interpretation of this was by a long shot better.
    I've never heard anything about Jake Holmes performing with the Yardbirds. What I do know is that Page witnessed a Jake Holmes performance and went on to adapt the song for both the Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin, and going as far as taking credit for authorship. There's absolutely no question that Holmes wrote the song. Whether LZ's interpretation is better or not has no bearing on the matter. What does matter is that Holmes shoulda got paid for every fucking sale of LZ's first album.

I thought the whole point of the lawsuit was that Holmes played this song when he opened for the Yardbirds?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I thought the whole point of the lawsuit was that Holmes played this song when he opened for the Yardbirds?
    That's exactly right.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    ^ I agree. The Spirit that might've been a coincidence (or maybe not), but tough shit! .
    Zeppelin played Spirit's Fresh Garbage in their early shows. You can hear it on bootlegs. No fucking way is Stairway's resemblance to Taurus a coincidence.

Hey it had been a while since this subject had been up on PE
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Zeppelin played Spirit's Fresh Garbage in their early shows. You can hear it on bootlegs. No fucking way is Stairway's resemblance to Taurus a coincidence.
    I didn't know that. Interesting! But let's face facts; it's just a chord progression and not a radically unique one at that. The Beatles used it in "Michelle" before Spirit and the standard, "My Funny Valentine" used it long before there was any Beatles.
    Last edited by No Pride; 12-04-2012 at 12:53 PM.

"Good artists borrow, great artists steal." - variously credited to T.S. Eliot, Picasso and Miles Davis

Spirit supported Zep early days and so had been exposed to Taurus .

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Spirit supported Zep early days.
    I was going to make the same point.

I guess everyone got wind of some stink regarding Zep's failure to give credit where credit is due... gotta admit i dig a lot of what they ended up putting out, but that plagarism part 1 clip shows a level of rippin' off that might make Aliestar Crowley blush.