Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prince & The Revolution

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    And rightly so Nah, just kidding.
    Speaking of which, I had one friend in grade school thought that Bon Jovi was good. Then, he thought they sucked when Beavis and Butthead started making fun of them.

purple rain is over rated. "the black album" or is that "dirty mind" is the best one of this period.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    purple rain is over rated. the black album is the best one of this period.
    I've been trying to hear the original version of I Feel For You, but it's not on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    purple rain is over rated. "the black album" or is that "dirty mind" is the best one of this period.
    The Black Album and Dirty Mind are two completely different albums, recorded nearly a decade apart, if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I've been trying to hear the original version of I Feel For You, but it's not on YouTube.
    It's nothing special, imagine the Chaka Khan version, but with Prince singing the vocal falsetto, without the twists and turns of the Chaka Khan arrangement, and most definitely without Stevie Wonder's harmonica.

I thought that Wendy and Lisa's first two records were excellent, and their soundtrack work since is quite good. They are also married to each other:

From an interview at http://www.out.com/entertainment/200...-be-harmonized

"Why did the two of you decide to keep working together after you left the Revolution?
    Wendy: We were married and I was her biggest fan. Everything that she played broke my heart and still does and I wanna own it and covet it and make it mine.
    Lisa: [Laughs at that] Yeah, we're chained together. We're shackled. No, I love Wendy. We've known each other our entire lives practically. Once she was finally hired into Prince's band, it was like a dream for me. I had fallen in love with Wendy, my childhood friend, and suddenly we were looking at each other differently, but I had to leave on the road all the time. It was always just torture. Finally Prince met Wendy and there was some trouble with the other guitar player [Dez Dickerson], and providence moved in such a way that Wendy ended up on the road with us.

Was the image you projected in Purple Rain a function of who the two of you were together? Or did it come from Prince, or the director?
    Wendy: I don't think the director had anything to do with it. I think Prince saw us as the couple that we were and used that relationship to add more mystery to him. And I think Lisa and I were willing to go there because at that time we felt mysterious. We were young and it was the thing, so we went with it, not knowing what the result of that would mean or imply later in life. We didn't think about it in those terms. We just thought, Wow, this is cool!

Before we continue, I have to ask: Have you come out before? Is this it?
    Wendy: We've never done a 'Let's come out' interview. We've never been in the closet, but we never said, 'Let's get an interview with The Advocate. Let's get an interview with Out.' I didn't want to be a lesbian musician. I felt really uncomfortable with that role. I was already fighting, being a guitar player in a man's world and to have that on top of it -- Lisa and I were so very married at the time, it just didn't seem like something I could handle.
    Lisa: With Prince and the Revolution, I think that it was just taken for granted that we were supposed to be the gay reps in the band. [Laughs] The blacks, the whites, the gays. And people would say, 'Gee, do you think this lesbian thing is going to work for them?' [Everyone laughs] So, after the band kind of split up, the record labels would be like, 'You need to be wearing fur coats and sitting on motorcycles and long fingernails . . .'
    Wendy: It was just horseshit.
    Lisa: 'And why don't you wear that lingerie like you used to?'
    Wendy: Which I never did.
    Lisa: I did.
    Wendy: But you wore it in a very different way.
    Lisa: Yeah, it was more punk, like a fuck-you thing, not, 'I'm a sexy girl.'"
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Lisa: Yeah, it was more punk, like a fuck-you thing, not, 'I'm a sexy girl.'"
    Ahem. I beg to differ.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Did I mention that my friends are straight males that like prog and metal?
    And your point is?
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Wonder what happened to Wendy & Lisa. I bought their album when The Revolution was no more . I thought it was really quite god!
    They do all the music for the Keefer Sutherland TV series, "Touch". And it's quite good. Fits the somewhat unusual mood of the series quite well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fantastic Progo Rican View Post
    And your point is?
    My point is(if you must know), that they would make fun of me if I bought a Prince CD. I mean the guy can't tell if he's black, white, gay, or straight.
    Last edited by JIF; 04-14-2013 at 10:50 PM.

they would make fun of me if I bought a Prince CD. I mean the guy can't tell that he black, white, gay, or straight.
    Your "friends" also probably couldn't tell that he could compose (a lot), choreograph, sing, play a mean guitar, keys and drums AND entertain huge audiences who were black, white, gay AND straight.... or because he is a brilliant business man, he was also pretty successful at it.
    It's funny how people make fun of the things they can't understand.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Your "friends" also probably couldn't tell that he could compose (a lot), choreograph, sing, play a mean guitar, keys and drums AND entertain huge audiences who were black, white, gay AND straight.... or because he is a brilliant business man, he was also pretty successful at it.
    It's funny how people make fun of the things they can't understand.
    Btw(even though I'm not much of a Prince), did you notice how I slipped in some of the lyrics to Controversy in there?

Not just Prince's finest album but one of the best releases of the 80's. A true masterpiece that sounds every bit as great today as it did in 1984.

Purple Rain is a classic and believe it or not has a few prog moves imo such as the title track and "computer blue." I saw Prince on this tour and it was great. He jerked off his guitar and sat in a bathtub. I played "parade" once and really liked it. I need to get most of his other early albums. I had a few on cassette tape way back when.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Purple Rain is a classic and believe it or not has a few prog moves imo such as the title track and "computer blue."
    Apart from the strings at the end of Purple Rain itself, I don't hear anything "prog" about it. A great song, with some very emotive guitar work, but really just a power ballad.

Computer Blue, I see what you mean, but it's really two songs combined. You've got the vocal thing, and then you've got the instrumental thing at the end, which was actually written by Prince's father. If you watch the movie, there's a bit where Clarence Williams III (playing The Kid's father) is shown miming a solo piano version (which is obviously being played on a Yamaha CP-70, though Williams is shown playing a conventional upright piano) of the instrumental section. That's apparently how Prince's father actually conceived the piece.

Now, here's where things get interesting: there's a number of outtake versions of Computer Blue. Apparently, it was originally around 15 minutes long, though I think the last two minutes or so was just crazy noise guitar (a bit of which was used for the segue between Computer Blue and Darling Nikki on the album). At one point, the song had been edited down to around seven and a half minutes, and that was going to be the version that was going to be on the album. That is, until Warners decided they had to make room on the record for Take Me With U (which wasn't originally going to be part of the Purple Rain album), so Prince had to edit Computer Blue down to something like 4 minutes or whatever it is on the record.

I think I've heard a couple different versions of Computer Blue over the years. One had an additional verse during the vocal section of the song and the instrumental section went on a bit longer. One version had either Lisa or Wendy doing this spoken word thing about the "poor lonely computer" and how it didn't understand "that love and lust are both four letter words, but they don't mean the same thing" or something like that. Another had Prince doing a different spoken word bit, about different rooms of a house representing different emotions, or words to that effect. And there's a couple other bits and pieces that they slip in and out of like. Not really what I'd call "prog", but maybe a form of "progressive dance music". Or something like that.

If you now get the DVD of Purple Rain, there is an extra on it, with Prince and the Revolution playing live a combined I Would Die For You/ Baby, I'm a Star that is exciting beyond belief. The band plays to heights it rarely ever reached, and it comes pretty close to prog in a few places, notably where Prince moves to keyboards, and vamps with Wendy, who is clearly working hard- has to be seen, believe me. I only wish they put it on youtube, but he is careful in guarding his product. Runs around 15 minutes long, was recorded at an MTV party.

I agree with Dana that experiencing Prince on his DVDs is the way to really appreciate his talents.
    He does a great Zeppelin arrangement on "Live at the Aladdin" (from Vegas).
    She was also correct about how Prince now gaurds his product, very smart man!

I've always really loved the beginning of Take Me With You - a very unique and small 'p' progressive start of a song.

She's a he, Mick. :-)

I'm sure that's not the first time he's heard that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    She's a he, Mick. :-)
    Sorry to hear that...lol. NOW I know 4 Danas... two are girls, the other one was Dana Andrews.
    Good to see some other Prince appreciaters here tho'.

Tons o' talent. I generally hate band playing the Super Bowl, but seeing him in the rain was pretty special.

Banned
    Realizing my mistake, I repurchased Purple Rain at Barnes & Noble. Since it was cheap, I also got 1999. I became interested in the music of Prince while watching 100 Greatest Artists Of Rock And Roll on VH1, which was hosted by Kevin Bacon. Nice to hear people like Eric Clapton and Pete Townshend speak so highly of him. Also, it's good that Prince doesn't put limits on his music.

Also, it's good that Prince doesn't put limits on his music.
    It can be frustrating though. You gotta wade through a certain amount of allegedly "sexy" songs to get to the good uncut funk. And if you dig his guitar work, as I do, it can be maddening when you realize, for instance, that the really guitar work on the live version of Sign O' The Times doesn't exist on the studio version (or that some of his albums are relatively devoid of guitar heroics). And then when he finally does do a guitar heavy album (ie The Undertaker), it goes unreleased, and when you finally do find a bootlegged copy, you realize he uses this slightly obnoxious pitch bend effect on a couple of the solos.

But hey, at least he "shows no signs of caving in to conservatism" (as one news reporter once described Freddie Mercury).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    It can be frustrating though. You gotta wade through a certain amount of allegedly "sexy" songs to get to the good uncut funk. And if you dig his guitar work, as I do, it can be maddening when you realize, for instance, that the really guitar work on the live version of Sign O' The Times doesn't exist on the studio version (or that some of his albums are relatively devoid of guitar heroics). And then when he finally does do a guitar heavy album (ie The Undertaker), it goes unreleased, and when you finally do find a bootlegged copy, you realize he uses this slightly obnoxious pitch bend effect on a couple of the solos.

But hey, at least he "shows no signs of caving in to conservatism" (as one news reporter once described Freddie Mercury).
    I don't mind "sexy" songs. That's something that can be playing with your making love to a woman.