Page 56 of 316 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I am a huge Dune fan as well. Too bad this is just a documentary about his ideas for Dune, my understanding is the film was never actually made...
    I read they spent $2 million on pre-production but couldn't get $$ for a 10 to 14 hour film!?!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watched The Bag Man, a 2014 crime thriller with John Cusack and Robert De Niro. Good to see De Niro back in a heavy dramatic role. And anything with Cusack is usually great. The film was not without its flaws, but it was entertaining, and kept me guessing. I had not heard of the movie before I ran across it recently.
    Frog in boiling water

Hitchcock - Marnie

Sean Connery and Tippi Hedren
    very good movie about psychological dysfunction

8 out of 10 skeletons (of sailors) in the closet
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Muscle Shoals - very good documentary about the famous recording studio in Alabama. Especially interesting to fans of '60s and '70s R&B, but there is a prog connection, as the Swampers played with Traffic and Steve Winwood is in the movie.
    Frog in boiling water

Pacific Rim

Corny as all hell, but what can I say...I get a little tingly in the drawers with monster invasions.

5.5 out of 10 just because of those tingles
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I watched Pacific Rim last night, daft as a brush but loads of fun.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    I channel surfed by Pacific Rim long enough to notice Charlie Hunnam, Jax from Sons of Anarchy, in what I think might be his first major movie role.

I really like Jax and Sons, but not enough to watch this Rim dreck...
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Re watched Vanishing Point (1971) last night.

This may be the last great counterculture from that late 60s era.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I channel surfed by Pacific Rim long enough to notice Charlie Hunnam, Jax from Sons of Anarchy, in what I think might be his first major movie role.

How do you know it's "dreck" if you've never seen it? It's a fun popcorn flick. Nothing more, nothing less. Oh, and Jax's step-dad is on board as well.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Captain America - 2 out of 10

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    How do you know it's "dreck" if you've never seen it? It's a fun popcorn flick. Nothing more, nothing less. Oh, and Jax's step-dad is on board as well.
    I agree,dreck. I havnt seen it either, and hope never to.

Good for you man!

Went to see "Divergent" a couple nights ago. Only mildly interesting concept...my wife said it was like Hunger Games lite. A couple of cool action scenes, but otherwise forgettable, IMO.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Re watched Vanishing Point (1971) last night.

This may be the last great counterculture from that late 60s era.
    I like VP. Interesting comment about it's possibly the last. I'm trying to think of something later but am drawing a blank. I considered Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, Two-Lane Blacktop and Electra Glide in Blue.

Good for you man!
    that's not really what you were thinkin' was it?

Heartless

Very good psychological thinker in the guise of a horror movie. Yes, there were some horrific scenes...but this movie had way bigger fish to fry. It had a...(gasp)...message. And it worked very well, at least for me since it's stayed with me for the entire weekend. Some compare it to "Donnie Darko" but I lean more towards "Jacobs Ladder". 8 out of 10 chaos unleashing(s).

The Numbers Station

Part 2 of the weekend double feature. Lots of potential here...in fact the first 90% of the movie was good to great espionage/thriller material. Unfortunately, all was made moot with the ending...complete and total letdown that sucked out all the enjoyment that came before. I'd suggest avoiding this steaming POS...your time is better spent elsewhere. 2 out of 10 Cusacks that can do better..

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    that's not really what you were thinkin' was it?
    Not even close Klonkers. . I've come a long way, no?

you have. And I can't say that it pleases me

SOA is certainly no more realistic than Pacific Rim. At least Pacific Rim — a SF genre action film — isn't pretending to be thick, deep, cheeseless melodrama like SOA and, oh, what's that REALLY popular show? Oh, yeah. Mad Men.

Because I gave it all of 120 seconds?

Oh, and if Hellboy is aboard too, the dreck meter just went past "11".

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    SOA is certainly no more realistic than Pacific Rim. At least Pacific Rim — a SF genre action film — isn't pretending to be thick, deep, cheeseless melodrama like SOA and, oh, what's that REALLY popular show? Oh, yeah. Mad Men.
    No doubt, Sons is exactly what Kurt Sutter says it is, a soap opera with bikers. It doesn't pretend to be cheeseless at all, in fact I think it comes with extra cheese.

Even with all it's many flaws, Sons still manages to feature some terrific acting performances, by Hunnam and yes, even Perlman. In fact, I've revised my low estimate of Ron's limited acting skills to another level because of this show. Unreality it may be, but any show that offers up some great plot twists and unpredictable character arcs like Opie's or even Agent Stahl's (queenbitch) is some damn good cheesy violent melodrama.

Rim, on the other hand reminded me of just another version of Battleship, an alien invasion flick designed for the video game era.

But, another alien invasion video game flick it might be like is Battle:Los Angeles. Dripping with cheesy dreck, but still with some exciting combat scenes. I liked that one, so maybe I should order up Pacific Rim with some pepperoni and cheese and veg out...

No Country for Old Men

Not exactly dreck, but not nearly the Best Picture I expected given it's reputation as a game changer and one of the Coen's best. In fact, I found it over-rated beyond belief.

Yeah, Bardem's performance is chilling and relentlessly brutal. He was great. But the rest of this was just a mess. I guess the Coen's think it is cool to leave the viewer in a constant state of confusion with incredibly bad editing. Just how the F did Carson know where the money bag was? We assume Moss told him, but that makes no sense, since Moss did not want to reveal much of anything at all. On top of that, we don't even get to see Moss meet his end, just the aftermath.

3 out of 10 coin flips.

You & the other guy should get together with JKL. He often likes to offer up critiques on shit he's never experienced as well. And similar to my response to someone in the AC/DC thread, I don't expect anyone that uses the word "dreck" to enjoy the same flicks I enjoy.

BTW, No Country for Old Men: 8.5 out of 10 dead-bolt busters.

If you didn't care for No Country, you may not be a Coen Brothers fan, and I'd forgo their newest effort, Inside Llewyn Davis as well. I enjoyed it a lot, but I enjoy their style, and I like movies where not everything is spelled out.

Prisoners--enjoyed it a lot, suspenseful & tension, a few unbelievable moments perhaps, but I could overlook them because of the story. Thanks Klonk.

Gravity--pretty brief and to the point SF movie, though at least it held my attention, but sort of glad I waited for the DVD release.

No Country for Old Men

Not exactly dreck, but not nearly the Best Picture I expected given it's reputation as a game changer and one of the Coen's best. In fact, I found it over-rated beyond belief.

Yeah, Bardem's performance is chilling and relentlessly brutal. He was great. But the rest of this was just a mess. I guess the Coen's think it is cool to leave the viewer in a constant state of confusion with incredibly bad editing. Just how the F did Carson know where the money bag was? We assume Moss told him, but that makes no sense, since Moss did not want to reveal much of anything at all. On top of that, we don't even get to see Moss meet his end, just the aftermath.

3 out of 10 coin flips.
    Try Fargo, it's tidier.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone