Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Prog in unlikely places

On occasions, thrift stores can have something interesting, but in my opinion it's mostly thrash. I worked in one voluntary and often I got to sift through CD-collections, probably collected from someone who died and you could find all kinds of stuff. Often a lot of illegal copies of CDs, or DVDs, which went directly into the thrashcan, because we weren't allowed to sell those. Sometimes there was something interesting (found Bel Canto, Joan Armatrading, Andreas Vollenweider and Chris Hinze), but most was terrible, like a lot of BZN-albums. Most people here won't know them, and you should be glad. Looking for them on Youtube is at your own risk.

^^ Until recently here in the States, thrift stores were a great source of hidden treasure vinyl records. Now that the vinyl resurgence has made records valuable again, only the absolute rubbish will end up in thrift stores.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ Until recently here in the States, thrift stores were a great source of hidden treasure vinyl records. Now that the vinyl resurgence has made records valuable again, only the absolute rubbish will end up in thrift stores.
    There was a lot of vinyl as well, but well, again a lot was not that worthwhile. Of cause we also had a lot of James Last.

NPR used “Watcher Of The Skies” today during the live coverage of the eclipse.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    NPR used “Watcher Of The Skies” today during the live coverage of the eclipse.
    Nice! Too bad I missed it.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

This was truly unexpected. Not a piece of music or the appearance of a CD, but a posting in a blog about political stuff. Someone named "iamr4man" posted a comment containing the full lyrics of "War" from Henry Cow / Slapp Happy (with proper credit):

https://jabberwocking.com/gaza-here-and-there/#comments

Is iamr4man a PE frequenter?
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post

Is iamr4man a PE frequenter?
    Is he in the PE member registry? I didn't look.

I'm sure he'd feel at home.

Was channel surfing during a commercial break in the Dallas/Vegas game last night and stumbled across a gumball machine singing "Carry On Wayward Son" on the Masked Singer.

^ Such is life in 2024.

When l was a kid in the 70s living outside of Philadelphia there was a locally produced kid's quiz show on Saturday morning called "Challenge", and the theme music was "Mandolina" by Ronnie Montrose. I only noticed this about 10 years later when l got the Open Fire album.

Ok, speaking of stuff from online and I don't remember if I mentioned this one before or not but herre it goes. A few years ago I was doing this online course thing and the teacher (you only heard his voice and couldn't see him but he was probably in his early 30s) mentions Gentle Giant's Free Hand album and the song "on reflection." The same guy also mentioned Kate Bush's Hounds of Love.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    When l was a kid in the 70s living outside of Philadelphia there was a locally produced kid's quiz show on Saturday morning called "Challenge", and the theme music was "Mandolina" by Ronnie Montrose. I only noticed this about 10 years later when l got the Open Fire album.
    Speaking of Ronnie's Open Fire, my favorite track is the acoustic guitar instrumental "Leo Rising". It just occurred to me to wonder if it was meant as a nod to Leo Kottke. Never thought of that until now.

The eons are closing
    Walked into my local Argentinian coffee and bake shop - Kayleigh was playing on the café music streaming system - it must have been set to 80s pop station because Chaka Khans "I feel for you" came on right after....

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Walked into my local Argentinian coffee and bake shop - Kayleigh was playing on the café music streaming system - it must have been set to 80s pop station because Chaka Khans "I feel for you" came on right after....

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    That Chaka Khan song was actually written by Prince and appears on his second album (same one with "I wanna be your lover"). Not many people know that but yeah Chaka had the big hit with it.

Not much to say about Marillion except that I think I remember hearing "Kayleigh" on the radio back in the 80s and possibly "Lavender" also. I didn't really pay much attention to them until a few years later though.When I worked briefly at the college radio station around late 1989 some guy was playing one of those Marillion songs and said it "sounded like Yes." I said "no, I think you mean Genesis" and he goes "oh yeah, you're right."

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    That Chaka Khan song was actually written by Prince and appears on his second album (same one with "I wanna be your lover"). Not many people know that but yeah Chaka had the big hit with it.

Not much to say about Marillion except that I think I remember hearing "Kayleigh" on the radio back in the 80s and possibly "Lavender" also. I didn't really pay much attention to them until a few years later though.When I worked briefly at the college radio station around late 1989 some guy was playing one of those Marillion songs and said it "sounded like Yes." I said "no, I think you mean Genesis" and he goes "oh yeah, you're right."
    I named my first cat Kayleigh after the Marillion song.

The Kayleigh video received occasional airplay on MTV. Remember when Music Television actually played music?

The Kayleigh video received occasional airplay on MTV. Remember when Music Television actually played music?
    I remember it. I have a whole bunch of tapes with clips I recorded from MTV. My boyfriend at that time did the same. We both had recorded Go from Asia. It can be I copied it from his tape.

Yeah, he sings the whole song in falsetto. I kinda prefer the Chaka Khan version, as it has some interesting twists and turns, including Stevie Wonder's harmonica playing. I dunno how much harmonica playing Stevie did after the 60's, but he sure sounded great on this track (I believe he also played a solo on a Eurythmics song around the same time too).

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist
    The Kayleigh video received occasional airplay on MTV.
    That's how I first heard of Marillion, seeing the Kayleigh video on MTV (though in fact, back tracking, I found I had, I think it was a Hit Parader magazine with a review of Fugazi in it, a couple years earlier). I also remember MTV playing the Lady Nina and Incommunicado videos, though I don't think either got as much airplay as Kayleigh. Oddly, I don't ever remember seeing the Lavender Blue (possibly the only 7" single that's actually longer than it's album counterpart) or Heart Of Lothian videos on MTV. I didn't see those two until I stumbled across the VHS video compilation (which covered all the videos off the first three studio albums) circa 1992, when I was in the Navy and regularly visiting the Tower Records on Sports Arena Blvd in San Diego. Come to think of it, were Lavender Blue or Heart Of Lothian even issued as singles Stateside? Maybe that's why MTV never played them (or if they did, I missed it).

Funny thing about Marillion is, judging from those singles, you might get a little bit of different impression of the band, versus listening to the albums. So I always imagined Kayleigh was representative of their sound at the time, like a sort of more or less MOR pop/rock band. Then I saw that Young Ones episode where Neil dares the BBC to put some "good bands on, like Hawkwind, or Marillion"). So knowing next to nothing about Hawkwind except that Lemmy had been with them before he formed Motorhead, I figured maybe Marillion were a heavy metal band. It took me a few years to find out I was wrong on both accounts.

BTW, I still think it's silly they edited part of the guitar solo out of the 7" version of Kayleigh. I mean, the song was just over 4 minutes long to begin with, did they really think shortening the solo was make it more likely for it to get airplay?

(BTW, I did actually hear the album version get played on the radio, exactly once, but I've forgotten the exact circumstances. I think it might have been on college radio, but I'm not sure)

^Stevie played harmonica later on mostly as a session musician (a kind of cameo thing). You're right I don't think he did a whole lot of harmonica on his own albums but I don't really know for sure.I know there's a harmonica solo on "that girl" though so obviously he sneaked it in sometimes.

Btw, welcome back.

The "We Are The World" style overplayed pop hit "That's What Friends Are For" also had Stevie on harmonica in the 80's.

Stevie also played harmonica on Elton John's "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues".

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ok, speaking of stuff from online and I don't remember if I mentioned this one before or not but herre it goes. A few years ago I was doing this online course thing and the teacher (you only heard his voice and couldn't see him but he was probably in his early 30s) mentions Gentle Giant's Free Hand album and the song "on reflection." The same guy also mentioned Kate Bush's Hounds of Love.
    What was the subject of the online course? Just wondering what kind of material he worked it into.

I remember a friend of my dad, who used to travel to the US for his work, often visited thriftstores and the like, to hunt for 78s.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    Stevie also played harmonica on Elton John's "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues".
    Also on Sting's 1999 song 'Brand New Day"
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I remember a friend of my dad, who used to travel to the US for his work, often visited thriftstores and the like, to hunt for 78s.
    78s are among the records still ending up in thrift stores. Used record stores tend to shun them. Not many appreciate the rare material often found only on a 78. As far as most are concerned, they just sound terrible.