Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Prog in unlikely places

Having Easter lunch with my sister & friends at a pizza restaurant, I noticed that "Games Without Frontiers" was playing on the sound system--but the only part of it I could hear over the ambient noise was the whistling!

There's an independent college radio station I listen to(usually in my car). Some of the djs sometimes play some prog stuff. Last week I heard "carpet of the sun" by Renaissance. This dj(a woman dj too)actually mentioned the term prog(in regards to Renaissance).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

i was food shopping a few weeks ago and the store music was playing San Jacinto but it wasn't PG. did anyone else cover his tune?

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    i was food shopping a few weeks ago and the store music was playing San Jacinto but it wasn't PG. did anyone else cover his tune?
    There seems to be a few different ones. You would have to put in "San Jacinto cover" to see the results. One has a female singer.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    There's an independent college radio station I listen to(usually in my car). Some of the djs sometimes play some prog stuff. Last week I heard "carpet of the sun" by Renaissance. This dj(a woman dj too)actually mentioned the term prog(in regards to Renaissance).
    I don't know what the college stations where you live are like, but around here, they work without playlists, consultants and other non-essential restrictions. Hence, the programmers play whatever they want. Over the years, there's been a few people on the local stations who've played this "progressive" music over the years. First time I ever heard Magma, Amon Düül II, Focus, Caravan, Il Balletto Di Bronzo, or a whole motherfucking shitload of other bands was on college radio.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 03-31-2016 at 10:05 PM.

[mothefucking]
    You mean you no longer say "frell?"

Over the years I have heard Henry Cow, Robert Wyatt, PFM, Nebelnest, Guapo, Magma, Art Bears, Soft Machine, Agitation Free, Can, Amon Duul II, VDGG and probably others(mostly seventies stuff and a lot of it being Canterbury) on there.

I was at a bar once and I remember a guy mentioning the flute solo from Genesis' "firth of fifth."
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 03-30-2016 at 02:46 AM.

A couple weeks ago a group of local non-pro musicians...mostly under 25, but led by a couple of their dads, performed the entire Trick of the Tail tour at a local high school auditorium. lol I got lazy, but by all accounts, it was an excellent show! lol

There's an independent college radio station I listen to(usually in my car).
    Bless you sir!

You mean you no longer say "frell?"
    No, "motherfucking shitload" is a unit of imprecise measure, according to Penn Jillette. It goes something like this:

One= a single item
    A Couple=two items
    A Few= more than two, less than, say, six or seven
    Several=more than six or seven but still something that can be counted if one wanted
    A whole bunch= two many count
    Shitload=an unbelievable number of whatever it is
    Motherfucking shitload=just plain ridiculous quantity of whatever it is

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    No, "motherfucking shitload" is a unit of imprecise measure, according to Penn Jillette. It goes something like this:

One= a single item
    A Couple=two items
    A Few= more than two, less than, say, six or seven
    Several=more than six or seven but still something that can be counted if one wanted
    A whole bunch= two many count
    Shitload=an unbelievable number of whatever it is
    Motherfucking shitload=just plain ridiculous quantity of whatever it is
    That sounds more English than Metric to me.....

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    That sounds more English than Metric to me.....
    Who said it was metric?! It always sounded American to me. I don't remember where I first heard "shitload", I do remember using it back in the late 80's. I was in a record store, and some kid noted how many Bob Dylan albums the store had in their CD section. I said, "Yeah, Dylan has a whole shitload of albums", and one of the clerks yelled at me, "LANGUAGE!!!". So I heard it at some point before that (I didn't hear Penn Jillette's explanation of imprecise measurement terms until like 12 or 13 years ago).

Who said it was metric?! It always sounded American to me. I don't remember where I first heard "shitload", I do remember using it back in the late 80's. I was in a record store, and some kid noted how many Bob Dylan albums the store had in their CD section. I said, "Yeah, Dylan has a whole shitload of albums", and one of the clerks yelled at me, "LANGUAGE!!!". So I heard it at some point before that (I didn't hear Penn Jillette's explanation of imprecise measurement terms until like 12 or 13 years ago).
    Currently I mostly see that amount of CD's in the Frank Zappa section.

Picked up an old literature textbook at the El Cerrito recycling center “exchange zone” today. In the Poetry section, they included the lyrics to “The Cinema Show,” attributed to Genesis. The members were listed in a footnote and after Peter Gabriel (the last listed) it stated, “The latter is no longer with the group.” Which I think makes the publishing date somewhere near 1976-77, on account of Steve Hackett still being a member.

They also had the lyrics to a Bob Dylan tune and “Do What You Want, Be What You Are” by Daryl Hall & John Oates.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I have an old psychology book that is so old that the artists mentioned in it(as being popular)are Donovan, the Mothers of Invention, Iron Butterfly and the Beatles.

Since this thread has been resurrected, I had kind of a cool experience at a local microbrewery a couple of weeks ago. A friend of mine were at the bar having a beer. Other than us there was just one other table of people in the place. They were playing music over the sound system, and I was not paying much attention until I noticed something very familiar. They were playing the “Obscured By Clouds” album from Pink Floyd. I can’t say that I have ever heard that in a public place before. One of the people at the other table came up to the bar tender and asked him what the music was. To make a long story short we all got into a discussion about Pink Floyd and the bartender (who is also the owner of the place) is a huge Pink Floyd fan along with some other prog. He is a young guy too.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Since this thread has been resurrected, I had kind of a cool experience at a local microbrewery a couple of weeks ago. A friend of mine were at the bar having a beer. Other than us there was just one other table of people in the place. They were playing music over the sound system, and I was not paying much attention until I noticed something very familiar. They were playing the “Obscured By Clouds” album from Pink Floyd. I can’t say that I have ever heard that in a public place before. One of the people at the other table came up to the bar tender and asked him what the music was. To make a long story short we all got into a discussion about Pink Floyd and the bartender (who is also the owner of the place) is a huge Pink Floyd fan along with some other prog. He is a young guy too.
    There was a micro brewery that doubled as a bar not too far from where I used to live that had something called Pink Floyd Fridays. They would play a whole bunch of songs or album sides or whatever by PF at a certain hour. It was only an hour though. They even advertised it I believe. I don't remember exactly what they played the one time I went there but I think it was a mixture of stuff. I know it wasn't just the most obvious songs or albums or "hits." The owner is the one who started it just like with your example. Things like this almost make me wish I still drank beer.

I just remembered that the name of the brewery is Prism Brewery. It was named after the Dark side of the moon logo which of course is a prism.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 12-01-2016 at 10:05 PM.

Huh. I always associated Floyd with clouds of smoke... not beer.

About a decade ago, I was taking a class in basic geology at a pretty large university. During the lecture about volcanoes, he actually put up a picture of Magma's logo. I was shocked, and actually said, hey saw that band recently (at NEARFest). After class, I went to talk to the professor, and he said he was a big VdGG fan, and was getting into this new band called Guapo. If memory serves, they were playing NEARFest that year, so I mentioned that I would be seeing them later that year.

Just last night at 3:47 am I was walking past a local butcher's shop where they were chopping up an old pig which was screaming those intro vocals to "De Light" by Neil Mox & Cox Bears. It was highly incredible.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I don't know what the college stations where you live are like, but around here, they work without playlists, consultants and other non-essential restrictions. Hence, the programmers play whatever they want.
    Interesting.

About 20-to-30 years ago, I was on the fringes of a college-station crowd, and I remember hearing about them being effectively bribed into "going corporate": If the station played a large preponderance of the latest hot an' happ'nin' tracks by Record Company XYZ, then XYZ would comp the station manager and DJs who played the game for a trip to the CMJ convention. It was a pretty big carrot for a bunch of broke college students - plane ticket, admission, hotel stay all taken care of, and to a lot of them it didn't seem like that big a deal. Play a bunch of music people liked already, as opposed to stuff you liked by some nobodies no-one had ever heard of, and you got a free trip. I remember a quarrel within a local punk band (who are still around, into their 40s and 50s!) about that - the bassist (a business major) played XYZ's game, and the guitarist wanted nothing to do with it, and said so.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrick View Post
    About a decade ago, I was taking a class in basic geology at a pretty large university. During the lecture about volcanoes, he actually put up a picture of Magma's logo. I was shocked, and actually said, hey saw that band recently (at NEARFest). After class, I went to talk to the professor, and he said he was a big VdGG fan, and was getting into this new band called Guapo. If memory serves, they were playing NEARFest that year, so I mentioned that I would be seeing them later that year.
    It's funny you mention Guapo because I remember hearing them on a college radio station in my car earlier in the year. I don't hear prog on there too often(and if and when I do it's usually something from the seventies) so it was cool to hear them on there. Apparently Guapo played at Nearfest in 2006(which I didn't go to except for the pre show). I did see VDGG both times they played there and both times for Magma too.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Bells? Years ago, when me and some friends were there, the bartenders were Dead fans.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Bells? Years ago, when me and some friends were there, the bartenders were Dead fans.
    No, this was at Bright Eyes Brewing. A small newer brewery.

Bell’s has a very nice indoor music venue and an outdoor stage in the beer garden in the summer. Unfortunately the don’t often has much that interests me, although I did see California Guitar Trio there a few years ago and it was one of the places Umphry’s McGee got their start back in the day.

[One of the people at the other table came up to the bar tender and asked him what the music was.]

I really wonder if they would have asked that if they were playing Dark Side of the Moon. I know Obscured is 100 times more obscure(a little happy accident there) but I can't imagine anyone who didn't already know PF(even if they only knew the most well known stuff including DSOTM) not at least recognizing them. That's a real head scratcher for me. That would sort of be like someone hearing A trick of the tail but still asking who it was. Really? You don't recognize Phil Collins vocals and can't put two and two together to figure out that was Genesis?

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Interesting.

About 20-to-30 years ago, I was on the fringes of a college-station crowd, and I remember hearing about them being effectively bribed into "going corporate": If the station played a large preponderance of the latest hot an' happ'nin' tracks by Record Company XYZ, then XYZ would comp the station manager and DJs who played the game for a trip to the CMJ convention. It was a pretty big carrot for a bunch of broke college students - plane ticket, admission, hotel stay all taken care of, and to a lot of them it didn't seem like that big a deal. Play a bunch of music people liked already, as opposed to stuff you liked by some nobodies no-one had ever heard of, and you got a free trip. I remember a quarrel within a local punk band (who are still around, into their 40s and 50s!) about that - the bassist (a business major) played XYZ's game, and the guitarist wanted nothing to do with it, and said so.
    For the most part, I haven't seen that phenomenon in the college stations around here. I don't listen to the radio that much anymore, but I occasionally look at the program guides for the local stations (there's five different college stations around here, though until the advent of internet radio, you could pick up no more than three of them in any one location), and they're as anti-formatted as ever. You'll have a jazz show, followed by a punk show, followed by a folk music show, followed by a "freeform" show, etc.

Occasionally, there might be something like a "classic rock" show, but even then, the programmers would play less typical things. You might hear Led Zeppelin, The Who or Van Halen, but instead of Stairway To Heaven, Won't Get Fooled Again or You Really Got Me, you might hear That's The Way, Slip Kid or Atomic Punk.

But you're as likely (if not more so) to hear The Residents, Negativland, Sun Ra, Magma, Stockhausen or some schlager or some French chanteuse no one has ever heard of Stateside.

I do remember hearing like 25 years ago that there was a lot of hard formatting and otherwise mainstream infiltration in the college radio ranks in other jurisdictions, but around here, that doesn't seem to have happen.