Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I'll Say It Again: Digital Download Please

The Supreme Court could put a monkey wrench in all of this with an upcoming ruling in the Aereo case by deciding that those who store proprietary data in the cloud must secure separate licensing. That means uploading would be considered copywrite infringement.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    Correct…that's how it currently works. There's no way to include the Auto-Rip MP3s with the gift of the physical disc (unless you send them yourself).
    I wonder if the corporations involved will get around to an embedded app in the music that lets them control or even erase these music files ?? I'm sure they would like an improved version of the old 'copy guard' system....
    Last edited by tom unbound; 04-24-2014 at 12:20 AM. Reason: can't spell worth a plook

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I rather stop buying music, than start buying downloads.
    I hear ya Renate... I want a product in my hand that I can hold and look at and read while listening.

but then... most people grab McDonalds or some other fast food instead of cooking at home. We now must live in this 21st century and deal with it however we can.
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 04-24-2014 at 02:44 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

McDownloads !

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    I wonder if the corporations involved will get around to an embedded app in the music that lets them control or even erase these music files ?? I'm sure they would like an improved version of the old 'copy guard' system....
    Nah. It's moving so quickly towards streaming over downloading that even if the development of such tech were financially and technologically feasible, and the legal implications workable (and those three things are huge, expensive hurdles) it's just not worth their time at this point. They've got bigger problems.

I like stuff as much as the next person. In fact, looking around my house, I like stuff a little too much. It clutters my house and makes it difficult to manage my household. For just about everything, the shelves are overflowing and there really is no more room to store stuff in a fashion where I can readily find it. Fact is, I need to get rid of a lot of it so that I can things back to a manageable level. For much of it, going digital is really the best option for most of it. My use cases for having physical media for my music have been reduced greatly over the years.

I have mixed feelings about streaming services. On one hand, I like the convenience. On the other, the question of availability is always there. I don't always have internet access everywhere I go, and there is always a potential of drops while listening. At work, I can't always stream music. (For example, my current workplace blocks Spotify.) Also, there is the fact that there is no guarantee that any service will continue to play the music you want to listen to. For example, Spotify doesn't have King Crimson. I don't see any streaming service to be able to replace a good library of music for me. For me, it is either for convenience when I don't have my collection, or for discovery.

As for buying music digitally, I'm still struggling with it. It seems to be a tradeoff. With Amazon or Apple, it is easy to go on there to search for an artist and you are likely to find them. On the downside, both only offer lossy formats for their music. (I don't go lossless because of sound differences. I go lossless because I want an archive format that I can transcode into any format I want without sacrificing quality.) While I like the idea of Bandcamp, I don't really know who is on there. I'm also still trying to get over at times paying as much for digital content as physical. Fact is, for books and video games, I often do pay less, and that's what happens with most of the digital music I buy. But, it is tougher there because much of it is lossy. So, not only am I losing the artwork and booklet, but I'm also sacrificing some quality as well.

I can also say that it feels better supporting a band which you can give them money and they can hand you their music. While I've seen some bands offer their music on thumb drives, it doesn't feel the same to me. (Also, not that common.)

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    McDownloads !

hadn't heard that one before
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I've got a pair of refurbished Infinity desktop speakers on the desk in my office/man cave, driven by a receiver that gets it's audio from my PC. Most of the music on my PC is lossless, especially the live shows. But I've found that it's I can hear the difference between a MP3 and a lossless wav about half the time. But if I take a MP3, burn it to a disc and then play it on the somewhat high end stereo in my living room...it's lacking something. I only play CDs, vinyl, or music burned from a lossless format on that beast.

My iPad and iPhone only play MP3s and memory on these is precious. So what I've done is make a separate music library in my external drive for iTunes. I ripped about a hundred fave CDs as MP3s on iTunes to store there and feed the phone and tablet that music. Plus now that you can do digital downloads of any music purchased on your account from Amazon, I funneled loads of tunes into that folder. Now I can rotate albums in and out of the tablet and phone without messing with all my lossless music.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I have a lot of CDs. Still buying physical product. At first, I was annoyed when some bands started offering digital downloads only. Frustrated, that I couldn't order a CD. Pissed off, that I might have to pay $10 for something in cyberspace, with no booklet, or packaging, unless I printed stuff up myself.

Slowly, I have learned to embrace the fact that I can immediately access a new 'discovery band', and download their new release for, often times, as little as $5, and then play it mere minutes later.

The irony is, though, that I immediately rip a CD from these files, so that I can play it in my 2006 car, which would need some modifying to play an ipod. If necessary, I'll adapt to the digital age. I won't miss the clutter.

neil

24/96!! 24/96!! If I'm gonna get dragged into the damn digital age, make it worth my while!
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

The vast majority of the music listening I do these days is digital. The music I buy is leaning more toward digital every year. The only time I listen to CDs anymore is when I want to listen to something that I haven't copied to my phone, or if I want to listen to something in the car and don't want to bother fiddling with my phone in the car.

Personally, I love it when I can have both: when I buy a CD and get a free download. So I can listen while I wait for the CD to arrive in the mail. The main complaint I have about digital downloads is that not nearly enough of them come with full liner notes/artwork/etc.
    flute juice