Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery

Top 5 Tull album for me.

I'm in agreement with Trurl that this is sometimes my favorite album of theirs. It all depends on the day and the mood.

My doors weren't blown off by Aqualung to be honest. I've never been a big fan of Locomotive Breath and alot of those acousticy things from that album. OTOH, I really liked War Child, and I was SHOCKED (no kidding) by how much I loved "This Was" the instant I heard the album. Minstrel blew me away instantly. Yeah it's a little heavy on the acoustic side but it's such a damn good album. My favorite track is the title track. Martin Barre just plays out of his mind. I only saw Jethro live once, but what a great pleasure it was to see Martin Barre live. For me - No Martin, No Tull!

The most dynamic Jethro Tull album. Great balance of stonking riffs and sweet string arrangements that enhance each others' expressive power. Playful, then forceful, then bittersweet. I think what throws people off is it's an album of songs, not a concept piece. The songs have nothing to do with one another. The range of ideas is so diverse and it travels across so many worlds. Because of that, for me it's a great listen beginning to end and never boring. I think it sums up the band as well as any of their releases.

1975 and 76 are tulls weakest 2 years of the 70s IMO. The compositions lack the class of the 1970-74 and 1977-80 material. The sound lacks grunt too

Since 80 through at least 87, there's no true Tull, but a brand trade. In fact A is Ian's solo album. If not so, Walk Into Light could be named a Tull album easily.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Yeah, this is among my top Tulls too. Essential to me, anyway. There is something about the introspection, and the winding search in the music and the lyrics that really comes together for me. It's like IA is at pains to express his personal limitations, while searching to go beyond them musically.

Anyway, big fan, and like others here, it does compete as my favorite album, depending on where I'm at in the day.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Never liked it, it just irritated me, silly talking & too many tracks that I didn't like anyway, this and Passion Play just leave me cold.

1. Songs From the Wood
    2. Aqualung
    3. Benefit

Met a new pal when this album was out and digging this album at the same time cemented the friendship. I was disappointed when they only played one song from the album when it was the new album for the tour.

IMHO, the last great Jethro Tull album. It was all a slide/rote/predictiable from there...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Of course they played it live. here's a great version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_lQ0H4zZEA