Jeff Beck
    Brand X
    Sloche
    Forgas Band Phenomena
    Dixie Dregs
    Santana
    Chicago
    Gary Burton
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ah master Ed tell us "what is prog?"

Seeing as you noted two bands I listed I defer to Progarchives and RYM that list Sloche, Brand X & Forgas as Jazz Rock Fusion.
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 04-06-2014 at 01:16 PM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Ah master Ed tell us "what is prog?"

Seeing as you noted two bands I listed I defer to Progarchives and RYM that list Sloche, Brand X & Forgas as Jazz Rock Fusion.
    But that's not what the original poster asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    But that's not what the original poster asked for.
    That's what I listed, my top 5 Jazz Fusion albums. Or you differentiating Jazz Fusion from Jazz Rock Fusion? That's what the fusion is of, jazz & rock.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Like Prog, fusion has many sub genre's also;

jazz-rock fusion
    rock-jazz fusion
    funk fusion
    brass rock fusion
    avant garde fusion
    symphonic fusion
    shred fusion
    ethno fusion

....and I'm sure I'm leaving some off .

Also, many bands/artists can cover a few sub genres.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

MO: Birds of Fire
    RTF: Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy
    WR: Black Market
    MD: Bitches Brew
    And,
    Passport: Infinity Machine
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Come on Ed, what are your 5? So we can tell the difference.
    Ian

FYI,since i listed a Gary Burton recording in my list,(Duster),anyone who reads a few reviews of Duster will see the dreaded "f" word(fusion) used to describe this record in a couple of cases.

For whatever that's worth.

Carry on.Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Ed likes Japanese shred fusion.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Ed likes Japanese shred fusion.
    We have comp seats for the Kazumi Watanabe show at 10 tonight at Blues Alley. I just don't feel like riding 90 minutes each way without traffic and roadwork on a Sunday night. Wanted to go to the 8 pm show, but it was sold out.

I know what it's not, and it's not:

Jeff Beck
    Brand X
    Sloche
    Forgas Band Phenomena
    Dixie Dregs
    Santana
    Chicago
    Gary Burton
    I can understand your wondering about Santana (the band), but Caranvanserai and its little brother are JR/F... And Carlos' solo album (collabs included are JR/F as well)

This said, if you want jazzier artistes that went fusion (and not bon my previous list):

13 Coltrane, Alice Ptah, the El Daoud
    13 Davis, Miles Bitches Brew USA 1970
    13 Tyner, McCoy Sahara USA 1972
    12 Byrd, Donald Ethiopian Knights USA 1971
    12 Coryell, Larry Barefoot Boy USA 197
    12 Mombasa African Rhythms & Blues 2 Ken 1976
    12 Smith, Lonnie Liston / Cosmic Echoes Astral Travelling USA 1973
    12 Szabo, Gabor Macho Hun 1975
    .... etc...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    FYI,since i listed a Gary Burton recording in my list,(Duster),anyone who reads a few reviews of Duster will see the dreaded "f" word(fusion) used to describe this record in a couple of cases..
    You go into a record store today and ask to see the fusion section, you'll be sifting through club dance music.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    13 Tyner, McCoy Sahara USA 1972
    If I was gonna pick a Tyner album, I would have picked Fly With The Wind

Like Prog, fusion has many sub genre's also;
    I really hate these kinds of discussions because there is no right answer, except the one everyone thinks is right in their own minds. FWIW my take is that, after nearly 50 years of music, jazz-rock music should be a considered its own musical construct/genre, not as a sub of any other music. In the same way people don't refer to rock as blues anymore.

When I was doing my radio show, I devoted many shows to the concept of jazz-rock and would play things that were highly composed like Forgas to classics like Mahavishnu to stuff like Amalgam. The point behind the show was not to box music in, but to use an axis (in this case jazz and rock) to describe it. This way, people who had an affinity toward one style of jazz-rock could listen to a variety of styles in the same program.

Here was an example playlist:

Herbie Hancock Sleeping Giant (Crossings) 1971 USA
    Marty Fogel Never Said Goodbye (Many Bobbing Heads, At Last) 1989 USA
    Marty Fogel Guinea (Many Bobbing Heads, At Last) 1989 USA
    Erik Truffaz Alex Gopher (Reviste) 2001 France
    Erik Truffaz Pierre Audetat (Reviste) 2001 France
    Abus Dangereux Abus’ Blues/Aye Shingao (Happy French Band) France
    Nels Cline Suspended Head (Instrumentals) 2002 USA
    Vertu Danse of the Harlequin (Vertu) 1999 USA
    Return To Forever Song To The Pharaoh King (Where Have I Known You Before) 1974 USA
    Gary Bartz Don’t Fight That Feeling (I've Known Rivers and Other Bodies) 1973 USA
    DFA Escher (live) (Work in Progress – Live) 2001 Italy
    Forgas Band Phenomena Extra-Lucide (Extra-Lucide) 1999 France
    Forgas Band Phenomena Annie Reglisse (Extra-Lucide) 1999 France
    Don Cherry Karmapa Chenno (Hear And Now) 1977 USA
    Helmet of Gnats (full album) (Helmet of Gnats) 2004 USA
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

If I was gonna pick a Tyner album, I would have picked Fly With The Wind
    it's also an amazing album, I agree

So are Assante, Expabnsions and Song For My Lady
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Knowing you, I'd direct you more towards the Head Hunters (HH, Thrust, Flood Man-child) era rather than his Mwandishi (Crossing, Sextant) era, which can be veering towards the dissonant

From personal experience FPB is better live than in studio.
    I don't mind some dissonance in my jazz actually. Same with prog, as my taste isn't quite as safe as some would suggest.

Extremely difficult to choose, I hate having to leave so many out.

Return To Forever - Returns
    Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
    Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness And Eternity
    Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean
    Al Di Meola - Land Of The Midnight Sun
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I know what it's not, and it's not:

Jeff Beck
    Brand X
    Sloche
    Forgas Band Phenomena
    Dixie Dregs
    Santana
    Chicago
    Gary Burton
    Looking at your list, Jeff Beck clearly made fusion albums in the mid 70's, as I don't know how else to describe "Wired" and "Blow By Blow". Brand X? Some prog and symphonic elements, but definitely fusion. The Dixie Dregs are not a pure fusion band, but there is no doubt it's a big element of their sound. Forgas sounded rather fusiony to me, but I only saw them once, my memory of them is a little foggy. Sure, Chicago is not fusion at all, I do hear a difference between jazz rock and fusion, I will agree with you there. Santana, I know he did an album with John McLaughlin, and I;m not sure that is even fusion. No, he should be mentioned as a fusion artist. Gary Burton, didn't he do some fusiony things with Chick Corea, or were those straight jazz?

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I really hate these kinds of discussions because there is no right answer, except the one everyone thinks is right in their own minds. FWIW my take is that, after nearly 50 years of music, jazz-rock music should be a considered its own musical construct/genre, not as a sub of any other music. In the same way people don't refer to rock as blues anymore.
    Hey Cozy, I'm with ya all the way, but obviously a lot of folks need to and like to compartmentalize what they're listening to.

For instance , Dick might call Blood, Sweat & Tears jazz-rock while Harry would call it pop because it's a catchy song that was on the charts.

I guess musical categories provide convenience sometimes...but they can be just plain arbitrary and silly...and what gets defined as Jazz Fusion can vary a lot. If any record containing what are generally seen as jazz elements mixes things up w/ something else can be counted... albums by X-Legged Sally, Tipographica, Il Berlione, Brown vs. Brown, and Dr. Nerve might be high on the list, (top 5 requires too much amputation). If we're limited to stuff that specifically got referred to as fusion shortly after the term emerged... maybe the 1st Fermata, Mahavishnu / Inner Mounting Flame, Perigeo / Genalogia, Miles Davis / Agharta and Kraan / Live could get in near the top.

It's so much easier to treat terms like "jazz-fusion" as descriptors or adjectives, rather than insisting that they are some kind of definable "genre" . . . . . . at any rate a lot of great things have been mentioned here to which I would like to add Tomasz Stanko's Purple Sun.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Hey Cozy, I'm with ya all the way, but obviously a lot of folks need to and like to compartmentalize what they're listening to.

For instance , Dick might call Blood, Sweat & Tears jazz-rock while Harry would call it pop because it's a catchy song that was on the charts.
    Yeah, the few subgenre mentionned baffle me a bit...

But I would agree that BS&T, Chicago, Dreams, etc.... are not even jazz rock.... just brass rock (or horn rock, as I'ver been aware some branded that pigeonhole as well)

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    Looking at your list, Jeff Beck clearly made fusion albums in the mid 70's, as I don't know how else to describe "Wired" and "Blow By Blow". Brand X? Some prog and symphonic elements, but definitely fusion. The Dixie Dregs are not a pure fusion band, but there is no doubt it's a big element of their sound. Forgas sounded rather fusiony to me, but I only saw them once, my memory of them is a little foggy. Sure, Chicago is not fusion at all, I do hear a difference between jazz rock and fusion, I will agree with you there. Santana, I know he did an album with John McLaughlin, and I;m not sure that is even fusion. No, he should be mentioned as a fusion artist. Gary Burton, didn't he do some fusiony things with Chick Corea, or were those straight jazz?
    Actually it will all depend about how you heard those labels in the first case, therefore affecting your future (and present) perception...
    To me, "jazz-rock" was a precurssor name to "fusion"... never heard of the rock-jazz pure invention thingie until recently, though
    The way I heard it in the mid-70's in central Canada, Bitches Brew was called jazz-rock, not fusion... I'd say that the first albums that were branded fusion were Black Market and Heavy Weather (5 or 6 years after BB was released)

Tony Williams- Believe It
    Billy Cobham- Spectrum
    Mahavishnu Orchestra- Inner Mounting Flame
    Jean Luc-Ponty- Enigmatic Ocean
    Weather Report- Heavy Weather
    RTF- Romantic Warrior
    Brand X- Unorthodox Behaviour
    Miles Davis- In A Silent Way

There's no way to do five. I'll just stop here.

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    It's so much easier to treat terms like "jazz-fusion" as descriptors or adjectives, rather than insisting that they are some kind of definable "genre"
    That's my take as well. People also have a tendency to take it the descriptors or genre tags literally. Need look no further than the word "progressive" for that.

Anyway, I have tried to come up with a top 5. That's extremely difficult! If I only went one per artist:

No particular order:

Embryo - Rocksession
    Herbie Hancock - Sextant
    Soft Machine - Fourth
    Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
    One Shot - Ewaz Vader
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    I don't think Chicago is. As for some of the others, they have catalogs that might include some jazz fusion - like Gary Burton and Santana - but whose overall body of work isn't fusion. Gary Burton's Throb (1969), for example, is one of the earlier fusion experiments. His 1967 album, Duster, is considered possibly the very first fusion album. Santana's Caravanserai is fusion. Brand X? When they first came out, they were referred to as Mahavishnu clones.

I would agree that somewhere along the line "fusion" became a catch-all for instrumental prog with a certain degree of wankery. Even if I like some of this music, I would have to say that the jazz credentials are pretty weak.