Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An odd perspective on Jethro Tull

An odd perspective on Jethro Tull

I happened to see this posted on the Rhino Records website.

Can't say I've ever seen a Tull fan perspective that was downright fanboyish (complete with statements of dubious veracity) about the band through Thick as a Brick but then down on nearly everything that came after:

http://www.rhino.com/article/bob-lef...ro-tull-primer

A SONG FOR JEFFREY

Purists believe the initial album is best, "This Was," the one before Mick Abrahams left. If nothing came after, Tull would be seen as English blues progenitors, but a hit changes all perceptions. There were no hits on "This Was," but I'd start here, with the signature flute intro and then the instant groove. "A Song For Jeffrey," all of "This Was," is Jethro Tull for people who think they hate Jethro Tull.

MY SUNDAY FEELING

The opening cut on "This Was," and probably the most famous. Most jam bands can't hold a candle to this.

BOUREE

The instantly accessible rearrangement of Bach's composition is the signature track on Tull's second album, "Stand Up," which did, i.e. when you opened the gatefold cover, the band popped up inside.

FAT MAN

Intense, it had a quiet acoustic feel long before Mumford & Sons, and required only one listen to get. It sounded like a group of like-minded fellows playing in the park, not for the adulation, but for the fun of it. Oh, not fun, this music is not tossed off and irrelevant, it's life itself. It's stuff like this that made you want to buy the album, what was buried inside was better than the hit, not that there was a hit on "Stand Up."

NOTHING IS EASY

Sounds like it could fit on "This Was," except it was faster, a bit more polished and more intense. If you don't nod your head to this, you haven't got one.

JEFFREY GOES TO LEICESTER SQUARE

You learned about geography via records. And the English ones were especially exotic.

BACK TO THE FAMILY

When it slows down in the middle and changes...risk was paramount way back when. Formula was abhorred. Ian Anderson is singing about the flaws of trying to make it, and thinking about going back to the family...don't we all.

LOOK INTO THE SUN

My favorite cut on "Stand Up."

Once upon a time we didn't want to rush to the club or the tent to gyrate with the minions, we just wanted to shut the bedroom door, turn out the lights and listen...to this music we believed was made just for us.

This is so wistful and so right.

FOR A THOUSAND MOTHERS

The closing cut on "Stand Up," it's intense and frazzled and it leaves you so shook up you can do nothing but flip over the cassette and play the whole album from the top.

There's not a bum cut on "Stand Up." It still sounds fresh today, maybe because there was nothing else like it.

TO CRY YOU A SONG

Riff rock. From the Stones to the Troggs to Deep Purple, and in between, yes, Jethro Tull.

"Benefit" was the album that turned off the purists, but it was the one that clued me in, maybe because of the wild ride in John Morosani's Trans Am without seat belts at 110 MPH on Route 125 the opening weekend of college. The soundtrack makes an indelible impact.

That's how it used to be, before everybody had all the music. We learned about stuff from the radio, from friends, and then we had to buy it ourselves. I had to own "Benefit" myself. I read the mediocre reviews, but I loved it!

A TIME FOR EVERYTHING

Kind of like how "Have A Drink On Me" follows up "You Shook Me All Night Long" on "Back In Black," "To Cry You A Song" segues into "A Time For Everything" which drives even faster and closes us too. Today we expect to be let down, Tull were showing us they still had something left in the tank.

INSIDE

Actually, it was three tracks in a row on the second side. "Inside" wasn't quite as good as what came before, but was infectious nonetheless.

SOSSITY; YOU'RE A WOMAN

The kind of track the naysayers hate but the fans love, "Sossity" closes the record on a reflective note. This was an age when most of us were just growing up, when boys were becoming men and girls becoming women. Responsibilities were changing, and our music was guiding the way.

FOR MICHAEL COLLINS, JEFFREY AND ME

Sounds similar to Simon & Garfunkel's "For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her," and you'll be missing out if you never hear this.

NOTHING TO SAY

Probably the second most played cut on "Benefit" after "To Cry You A Song." Typical of the canon, but still good.

LOCOMOTIVE BREATH

Funny how at this late date this is the most memorable and most played cut off "Aqualung," which turned Jethro Tull into superstars. It was the accumulated quantity of quality music and the riveting live performances, with Ian Anderson playing flute on one leg, that caused the fans to fill arenas. And yes, radio airplay..."Aqualung" and "My God" were all over the radio.

AQUALUNG

Another riff, but with a story to match, "Aqualung" was an epic that dominated the airwaves to the point that many people never need to hear it again. It was "Hotel California" before that cut was. But what puts the cut over the top is when it slows down and becomes reflective in the middle, a la classical music, there were multiple movements, little did we know what was coming down the pike.

MY GOD

The other epic, not played as much as "Aqualung," but still in regular rotation. And "Aqualung" was 6:37 and "My God" 7:13.

THICK AS A BRICK

"Really don't mind if you sit this one out."

But few did.

Here's where rock goes classical, where one song with multiple movements fills both sides of an album, "Tubular Bells" came after.

There's not a baby boomer alive who does not know the riff and the opening lyrics.

You'd think no one would be interested in an album like this. But an edit was all over the airwaves, the newspaper-like cover was enrapturing and only hipsters were too cool to love it.

You'd think it would get old.

But it didn't. We played "Thick As A Brick" over and over again.

"And the love that I feel is so far away"

Ain't that the truth. We knew about love and sex from music, so many fans had never experienced it.

"Spin me back down the years and the days of my youth"

When music drove the culture and changed the world. When English musicians built upon the delta blues to create something new and different and the baby boomers followed them to a new way of thinking.

LIVING IN THE PAST

And finally, Jethro Tull has a huge AM radio track, over Christmas no less, when playlists are frozen for weeks and everybody's home, driving around in their parents' cars trying to escape.

It was a double album of what came before, but somehow mainstream radio was finally ready and suddenly the whole of America was hip to Jethro Tull.

FARM ON THE FREEWAY

And from there it went downhill. "A Passion Play" was a failed attempt to follow up "Thick As A Brick."

"War Child" had the execrable "Bungle In The Jungle," which was second-rate Tull, made for those with mush for brains. But the band was on an endless victory lap, all its previous work was paying dividends, live business was bigger than ever.

"Minstrel In The Gallery." A good title track, that's all you need to know.

"Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young To Die." Ditto.

"Songs From The Wood." That's three in a row with a good title track and not much more.

Then people stopped paying attention. There were endless albums and you needed none of them. "Songs From The Wood" was followed by "Heavy Horses," "Stormwatch," "A," "The Broadsword and the Beast" and "Under Wraps." To say they were for fans only would be charitable, Tull had lost most of its fans.

And then came "Crest Of A Knave." In 1987. Almost a decade and a half after the band's heyday. And it was GOOD!

Too good, by a band with a known name, the album beat out Metallica's for the metal Grammy and Jethro Tull became a joke, a whipping boy, emblematic of all that came before and should rightfully be forgotten.

But the people loved this record, whose tracks were decided upon by focus group, and the biggest and best was..."Farm On The Freeway."

A companion piece to Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi," by this time the boomers had lost the war, they'd followed Reagan into the land of greed and AOR radio had become so corporate it had been eviscerated by new wave, pop and MTV. But "Farm On The Freeway" was so good, it climbed out of the ghetto into national consciousness.

We all lament what we've lost in the transition, from addiction to the radio to MTV to music made by people with little skill, and, ironically, this song is all about that.

"Can't say I've ever seen a Tull fan perspective that was downright fanboyish (complete with statements of dubious veracity) about the band through Thick as a Brick but then down on nearly everything that came after."

I'm not so extreme but here's another one. After TAAB more and more whimsy crept into their work IMHO, which isn't so much to my taste. 'Songs From The Wood' and 'Roots To Branches' are the two I like most after that.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    the album beat out Metallica's for the metal Grammy
    Urban legend.

Who is this Lefsetz moron and why does he think he knows anything about Tull? "Odd perspective" indeed.

You only need to read one line:

"Minstrel In The Gallery." A good title track, that's all you need to know.

to realize that this gentleman has no clue.
    For that which is not,
    there is no coming into being
    and for that which is,
    there is no ceasing to be;
    yea of both of these the lookers into truth have seen an end.
    Bhagavad Gita

Doesn't seem to be so much of a fanboy as a small-minded troll. Dismissing that classic SFTW and HH period? That's just sad.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Urban legend.
    Correct. It was the stupidity of the Grammy's to have an award covering hard rock and metal that cost Metallica. Besides, who says they would have won the category if it were all metal acts? Its as if they were due the award. Now calling "Crest of a Knave" hard rock, a slight stretch, though a couple songs fit that description.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Doesn't seem to be so much of a fanboy as a small-minded troll. Dismissing that classic SFTW and HH period? That's just sad.
    Why is he a "small-minded troll" for preferring one era of the band and not others?

Unfortuantely, disliking anything can get a person labelled as a troll.

Well, the piece comes off as a bit of trolling, throwing shit out there just to get a reaction. I can see not getting on board for a different era of any band. There's plenty I've given up on. But that entire "title cut is the only decent song" is pretty much trolling for a reaction. That's my take on it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Doofus.

Open post....insert foot. mpoll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Who is this Lefsetz moron and why does he think he knows anything about Tull? "Odd perspective" indeed.
    Bob Lefsetz is on Wordpress, and runs a blog called "Lefsetz Letter" which I've subscribed to for a few years (as do a lot of others). He's opinionated about many, many things (especially how the music business is run these days). I find I agree with a lot of what he writes, but on JT, he's waaay outta his area of expertise.

FYI: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2012/02/mf_lefsetz/
    "Be Well... Prog On!"

"The Progressive Tracks Show" on KPTZ 91.9 FM / KPTZ.org - Sundays at 5:00 AM and Mondays at 9:00 PM (Pacific Times)
    also on Progzilla Radio / Progzilla.com in the UK - Saturdays at 6:30 PM and Mondays at 2:30 PM (Pacific Times)

There are many great Tull moments on vinyl/CD/cassette/or even 8 track between 1973 and 1987.

Actually, I've found this to be a pretty common prospective of Jethro Tull from fans of straight up rock music. They like the early albums because of the mainly blues/rock/folk elements, but lose interest when the band drifted away from more formulaic rock/blues and became more experimental and progressive.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Funny, to me, "A Passion Play" was Tull's pinnacle, never matched and never bettered. TaaB comes close. There's no bad Tull record in my collection (I own them all), but there's far more to "Minstrel" than the title track ... in fact, the title track is the weakest track of the album in my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    Actually, I've found this to be a pretty common prospective of Jethro Tull from fans of straight up rock music. They like the early albums because of the mainly blues/rock/folk elements, but lose interest when the band drifted away from more formulaic rock/blues and became more experimental and progressive.
    I'd be with you if he stopped at Aqualung, but loving TaaB and not the rest of their prog-era output is what I found uncommon.

Yes, I thought of that also. But then I thought that TaaB is so widely regarded as a prog classic, so best to include it so as not to appear "unhip."
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

He's the Patrick Bateman of Jethro Tull.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I don't care what this guy thinks, but AFAIC there is no such thing as a bad Jethro Tull album.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    Yes, I thought of that also. But then I thought that TaaB is so widely regarded as a prog classic, so best to include it so as not to appear "unhip."
    You're not necessarily wrong, but does the exclusion of a prog classic from a conversation about music *ever* appear unhip?

I personally agree that a considerable change crept into their work from 'A Passion Play' onwards. What some see as more experimental, sophisticated and complex, others could see as less tuneful and more 'precious', for want of a better word. 'Thick As A Brick' was musically challenging but it was much more musically dynamic, I think. I believe it's a big ask to expect your average rock fan to sit through something like 'The Hare That Lost Its Spectacles' (I know it's only a few minutes)!

Unlike Lefsetz, I do like some of the albums that followed 'A Passion Play', but I still generally believe that 1968-72 period is their best.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    but there's far more to "Minstrel" than the title track ... in fact, the title track is the weakest track of the album in my opinion!
    Agree. Minstrel is my favorite Tull album and the title track is the one I would skip, if I ever skipped tracks.
    For that which is not,
    there is no coming into being
    and for that which is,
    there is no ceasing to be;
    yea of both of these the lookers into truth have seen an end.
    Bhagavad Gita

I love MitG from start to finish, the title track has a certain minstrel - trobadour vibe, and I love the heavy guitar part as well. The only optional song there is Nothing At All, but I never skipped this one, probably because of it shortness!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bungalow Bill View Post
    Agree. Minstrel is my favorite Tull album and the title track is the one I would skip, if I ever skipped tracks.
    But Minstrel is nearly a flawless album. The title track is slightly inferior to the rest of the album, but I still love it!

I think the title track is the best on Minstrel- by a very narrow margin, mainly for the instrumental section. On any given day that's my favorite Tull album, just inching out TaaB an APP.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I only enjoyed the first five blow jobs that guy's mother gave me.