Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite prog song, anyone?

Lycia

Favorite prog song, anyone?

Anyone have a favorite prog song that just stays with you forever and ever? Something that moves you into another world, or perhaps a favorite that's endured the ravages of time? I've struggled with a definite favorite There are several serious runners up, but here's my choice: "And You and I" from "Yessongs". I'd love to know what has settled into someone else's soul.
    "You can't get a hangover from booze. It's either bad ice, or stale potato chips." --Jackie Gleason

"Close to the Edge"
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

"The Revealing Science Of God"

"Entangled" - Genesis

Only a few hundred of them

From this year only, Big Big Train's "Hedgerow" and Rush's "The Garden" will be joining the list.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Suppers Ready

Camel - Echoes

starship trooper-yes

AREA - L'elefante bianco. Pretty much sums up what I love about Prog in 4:33.

Bill

Kontarkosz
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Lycia
    Progman75: PF "Dogs" is truly exceptional. It was among my runners up, along with the title tune of KC's "In the Wake of Poseidon". Italprogrules: I haven't heard of Big Big Train, so I'm going to youtube them now. I'm afraid I'm a geezer who thought prog died in the 70's. My first prog LP may have been ELP's first when I was 14. I've only recently been happily re-informed, and most of the new stuff is outstanding and thrilling.
    "You can't get a hangover from booze. It's either bad ice, or stale potato chips." --Jackie Gleason

meimjustalawnmower
    I suppose I should yield to the obvious, because of my user name, but I'm gonna go with Watcher Of The Skies only because it was the first Genesis song and the first "prog" song that made an impression on me.

I will chime in...of the "cornerstone" acts it would be

of more recent music I like

Close call between Entangled or Dance On A Volcano.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Wow, it's so impossible to come up with one song I would consider the best. If I went with the song that I played portions of most in my head over the years its probably either 'Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" or "Starless." Both would definitely make a top ten list of my favorite prog songs, but I hesitate to say that either would be No. 1.

Perilous, of course!

Da...
    21st Century Schizoid Man.

What other prog song it there?

For me two immediately come to mind: "The Gates of Delirium" and "Lizard."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Aleuchatistas - Heads Full of Poison

OK, not really, I just wanted to keep Steve F happy.

Actually it's Pink Floyd - SOYCD

Quote Originally Posted by lycialive View Post
    Progman75: PF "Dogs" is truly exceptional. It was among my runners up, along with the title tune of KC's "In the Wake of Poseidon". Italprogrules: I haven't heard of Big Big Train, so I'm going to youtube them now. I'm afraid I'm a geezer who thought prog died in the 70's. My first prog LP may have been ELP's first when I was 14. I've only recently been happily re-informed, and most of the new stuff is outstanding and thrilling.
    It's a great tune but even better in context of the album, since it reprises the earlier "Uncle Jack." But it's great on its own too. That chorus just kills me, I cannot remain silent, I have to sing along! "That is where you will find me, out there, waiting O hedgerooooow!"

Enjoy!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

You Set The Scene - Love
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

If I had to pick, it would be "The Court of the Crimson King" just because it had such a profound influence on me when I first heard it (Italy, 1970). Still does.

Lycia
    I realize that one song is a tough call, but one song can pleasantly haunt a person forever. Since Yessongs' "And You and I" earned me more warnings from apartment managers and makes me tingle to this day, I chose it.

"The Gates of Delirium." Such an epic journey. Some of Yes' most intense and most beautiful music in one piece. I love Jon's naive hippie idealism -- it captures the spirit of that era so well. But the ending notes, when everything finally comes to a resolution, still give me all-over body chills, even after hundreds of listens. It's the only song that's moved me to tears at a concert (on the Masterworks tour). It transports me to another place.