Thread: AAJ Review: Sonar, Static Motion

AAJ Review: Sonar, Static Motion

My review of Sonar's Static Motion, today at All About Jazz.

At a time when more recordings are released than ever before, it's rare to find a group that not just the changes way music is made, but the way it's defined. That description could easily fit Swiss pianist?% Nik Bartsch and his longstanding group Ronin, its Ritual Groove Music jettisoning overt virtuosity and conventional form for ultra-disciplined structural constructs and a deeper kind of interaction amongst its members. The same can be said, however, for Sonar, whose A Flaw of Nature was, not coincidentally, released on Bärtsch's Ronin Rhythm record label. That 2012 debut garnered the Swiss quartet some serious critical attention; with the broader exposure possible from alignment with the intrepid Cuneiform label, Static Motion is sure to garner even more.

It would be a mistake to dismiss Sonar as a guitar-centric version of Bärtsch's Zen Funk, even though the same kind of deep determinacy and avoidance of virtuosity are clear connecting points. No, Sonar has its own language, based on tritone harmonics, poly- and isorhythms, and Stephan Thelen and Bernhard Wagner's interlocking guitars. Two guitarists is usually a recipe for chops- and effects-heavy playing; Sonar's six-stringers not only eschew typical guitar gymnastics but, for the most part, the plethora of electronics so often used today—opting, instead, for relatively clean tones and natural methods to introduce tonal variety. There's no looping and minimal post-production editing; instead, just four players interacting and, indeed, improvising with faultless accuracy on three sets of three compositions—a triptych of triptychs—that are hypnotically trance-inducing while, at the same time, absolutely commanding of conscious attention.

Continue reading here...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice review.

I like Sonar's material a lot and this is a good evolution of their distinctive sound. I certainly hear the Nik Bartsch Ronin references, I'd also throw in Dawn Of Midi as purveyors of this minimalist repetitive aesthetic. I certainly have to be in the right mood to listen to Sonar as it needs a commitment to absorbing the trance inducing vibe.

Would love to see guys live.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Great album and a great band. And yeah Ian...was lucky enough to see them twice and they were amazing
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Static Motion is a wonderful album but I definitely agree it's one for a time and a mood, much like Stars of The Lid. Nik Bartsch's Ronin has been mentioned, what do they/he sound like? I'm curious about this minimalist music.

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    Static Motion is a wonderful album but I definitely agree it's one for a time and a mood, much like Stars of The Lid. Nik Bartsch's Ronin has been mentioned, what do they/he sound like? I'm curious about this minimalist music.
    Sonar comes from a similar space, but, beyond much different instrumentation (piano, bass, drums, bass clarinet/alto sax and, up til now percussion), it's a different kind of rigorous composition, but if you like Sonar you should check Bartsch out - and a good place to start is their last album, a live double on ECM (called simply Live).

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Nice review.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    ould love to see guys live.
    Me too! They do have a live album available on their website as a download only...

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Sonar comes from a similar space, but, beyond much different instrumentation (piano, bass, drums, bass clarinet/alto sax and, up til now percussion), it's a different kind of rigorous composition, but if you like Sonar you should check Bartsch out - and a good place to start is their last album, a live double on ECM (called simply Live).
    Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    Thanks, I'll give it a try!
    Forgot to mention, you can read my reviews of all his ECM albums here.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Cool review.

And not to spew my opinion in a thread about your review but...IMO it's a pretty good album, that certainly delivers the build-up in spades. Unfortunately, for me, without the climax/release I'm ultimately disappointed. I understand that's not what they do, nor aim to do, but still...it feels a little incomplete to my ears/brain.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

This one will be on my next Wayside order. I'm a big Bartsch/Ronin fan, so I figure I'll like this too.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

This may be somewhat off base, but to my ears...Sonar sounds a bit like Ronin reinterpreting/reinventing King Crimson, borrowing bits of the start from Fracture and the interlocking guitars of the early 80's. Maybe it is the slight tonal dissonance and buildup that does it...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    This may be somewhat off base, but to my ears...Sonar sounds a bit like Ronin reinterpreting/reinventing King Crimson, borrowing bits of the start from Fracture and the interlocking guitars of the early 80's. Maybe it is the slight tonal dissonance and buildup that does it...
    Took the words right out of my mouth.
    I could also add a similarity with some aspects of Present
    I just listened to the opening track on Bandcamp and am I the only one it reminds him of Mahavishnu's meeting of the spirits ?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I absolutely agree.

I just listened to the opening track on Bandcamp and am I the only one it reminds him of Mahavishnu's meeting of the spirits ?
    Since the opening track has a direct quote (on purpose), I would say that I absolutely agree as well.

Also: FWIW, I hear the release (although there is more tension than release, I do hear the release) in their work.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Cool review.-
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    And not to spew my opinion in a thread about your review but...
    Why not? I post threads with my reviews to engender discussion....not just about the review (that would be boring), but about the music.

All opinions welcome!
    Best!
    John

Took the words right out of my mouth.
    Did you read my review? And I quote:

While there are but a few traces of Sonar's influences, there is a handful to be found; the title track tips Sonar's hat to Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Meeting of the Spirits," from The Inner Mounting Flame (Columbia, 1971), and Fripp's "Fracture," from Crimson's Starless and Bible Black (Island, 1974), while "Continuum" lifts a line from Emerson, Lake & Palmer's title track on Tarkus (Island, 1971), specifically the opening "Eruption." Where Sonar takes these slight but unequivocally recognizable touchstones, however, is somewhere else entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Also: FWIW, I hear the release (although there is more tension than release, I do hear the release) in their work.
    I agree completely, Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Like I already quoted from my review, they make a direct reference to Crimson on the opening track, and Thelen was a participant in Fripp's Guitar Craft workshops, so it' so surprise there are hints of Crimson in the music. While he is his own man, Thelen is just one of a number of Guitar Craft alum I have heard who walk away with some hint of Fripp and Crimson's MO in his own music.

But it's just a hint....

...oh, and I neglected to mention, in my review, that the liners are by my esteemed colleague, Anil Prasad. Great job, Anil!

About 2 minutes after reading the review and listening to the sample track, it was ordered on CD and downloading from Amazon UK thanks to auto rip and I'm listening to it now. Very good. I can see the Crimson and Ronin references. This is just the sort of music I listen to a lot now, mainly due to its 'cinematic' qualities.