Thread: Enough Guitars? Too Many Guitars?

Enough Guitars? Too Many Guitars?

Regards,

Duncan

DUDE, I just spit-out some of my lunch....LOL

Got a Wife? ---> Yes -----> How many pairs of shoes does she own? -----> 1-5 ----> She's Lying

^^ Best flow segment!!!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Luckily, I have no kids and am NOT hiding GTRs at a friend house so I can, BY DEFINITION, buy more gtrs.

...see honey, it says so right here....(pointing Wifes attention to the chart...)

This works if you replace "guitars" with "plugins" as well

When do you have too many guitars? Well, when you've got a Strat in every custom colour Fender offers (or offered, if you're collecting vintage models), and you're not even a professional guitarist, then yeah, you've got too many Strats. I mean, it's one thing if it's utilitarian, ie one is set up for slide, a couple in alternate tunings, one has humbuckers, another one has a chambered body, etc. But if you've got a dozen pre-CBS Strats, and they're just hanging on the wall so that whenever you have company over, you can say "Look at what I bought!". FRELL YOU! Those used to be trees, you bastard! Either play them, or sell them to someone who will!

(Note: I realize this is supposed to be a humor thread, but ever since I saw Bonnie Raitt make the point about trees being sacrificed to make guitars which in some cases end up being treated like knick knacks or "collectibles", it's become a sore issue with me)

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Maybe instead of MORE guitars... one just needs a couple of these.

Somebody should make a flow chart like this for keyboard players.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Or these.

7476.jpg
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

According to the chart, I can DEFINITELY buy more guitars. According to my current "salary" and my wife, no way in hell.

Truth be told, I want two electrics and two acoustics. Unfortunately, the two electrics will have to be custom built, and I no longer have the possibility of having the cash for that. The two acoustics? I've already got them. A steel-string flattop (mine is a Seagull; Taylors are the ones I really like best, but Seagull made a gem with mine), and a classical (I've got an Ibanez classical. Before you throw up in your mouth a little, I played close to 20 of them, and blundered into this one on sale in San Antonio. Good rich tone, plays in tune all over the neck, and plays like an electric almost in the action - definitely a wolf in sheep's clothing).

The electrics? My main problem is that I want a nut almost as wide as my classical, at 1-7/8". The only ones that you can buy commercially are Big Lou and Zarley, but neither of those are pro quality instruments. So it'll have to be a luthier's nightmare, or something built out of USA Custom or Warmoth parts (which would be okay). Either option is WAY out of my budget nowadays. But if I were able to build them, I would sell off every other electric I own - they would not be necessary, nor would they be played.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

I just need more synthesizers.

And actually, I don't own that many shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    And actually, I don't own that many shoes.
    Maybe you can get shoes with multiple soles, several different styles all linked together.

Where is Yehuda, he MUST read this

Maybe you can get shoes with multiple soles, several different styles all linked together.
    No thanks. I lost my interest in shoes, since I can't wear high heals anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    No thanks. I lost my interest in shoes, since I can't wear high heals anymore.
    Yeah, me too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Great chart! The only thing that I find disputable on it is the differentiation between working 1-3 times a week and being a professional. Generally, there's no regularity to a freelance professional's schedule; they could work 3 gigs one week, no gigs the next, 5 gigs the week after that and... well, you get the idea. Musical theater pit musicians have a regular 5 or 6 day a week schedule, at least while a show is running, but they can find themselves not working for a month when they're between shows. And studio work... well, that barely exists anymore, so why talk about it.

Anyway, there's a big difference between how many guitars a guitar player needs and how many he/she wants. I own 7 guitars, but realistically, I could get by with 3; an acoustic, a solidbody (that sports at least one humbucker and one single coil) and a semi-hollowbody archtop (for traditional jazz). My best friend, who's a professional freelancer like myself has over 30 guitars. But he doesn't live with (isn't even involved with) a woman like I am. If I wasn't attached, yes, I'd probably have a few more guitars. But 30 is insane imo. When are you going to find time to play them all? And do you really want to readjust from guitar to guitar that often? I don't know; to me it's a "the one who dies with the most toys wins" kind of thing.

Or more realistically, one of these: