Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Featured CD - Bob Drake : 13 Songs And A Thing

Featured CD - Bob Drake : 13 Songs And A Thing

Per Allmusic:
    Bob Drake had set the bar pretty high with his third solo album, the admirable Skull Mailbox (And Other Horrors). So it should not come as a surprise that 13 Songs and a Thing feels somewhat weaker, yet still makes a damn fine record of avant-garde progressive rock (or experimental rock or crack-pot rock songs from beyond the grave, whatever suits you better). This album is the close relative of Skull Mailbox. The booklet doesn't disclose information on how it was recorded, but it sure sounds like the decrepit barn used for the previous album. Add to that the same half-broken instruments and an extremely dynamic stereo mix. In general the lyrics are not as punchy and frightening, but they retain a strong element of strangeness and some songs (like "Griffin" and "Plinth Shriveller") could have been included on Skull Mailbox. Drake is still in full control of all aspects of the album, from playing all the instruments to creating the cover artwork. He has brought in a select number of friends to add specific instrumentation (organ, Mellotron on one track) and teamed up with Steve Courtright and Dick Verdult to write some of the lyrics. Each song is typically Drakesian: angular and sharp despite its country-like innocence, hiding its often naive simplicity under tons of warped arrangements that equally evoke avant-prog and a rehearsal for Saint-Saens' Le Carnaval des Animaux gone awfully wrong. "Ten for a Dime" and "Plinth Shriveller" stand out and will delight fans of early 5uu's. Among the songs, Drake has hidden a monster, "Building With Bones." The "thing" in the album's title; it consists of 13-minutes of the percussion ensemble from Hell. The infernal banging and clanging (how many tracks in there?) amounts to a loud drone that will destabilize many a listener. Is it an exercise in ironic self-indulgence or simply the result of creativity lacking imagination? One thing is sure, you couldn't attribute this CD to any other artist.
    www.allmusic.com/album/13-songs-and-a-thing-mw0000031423

(Couldn't find any YouTube videos)
    Regards,

Duncan

Hi Duncan, gosh this album comes up again, it was on another thread just a while ago! What's this forum coming to! I'm the first to reply too, how egotistical and cliché! Mainly I wanted to say that the curious listener can hear two songs from it on my website here:
    http://www.bdrak.com/sounds/13.htm
    Last edited by B D; 03-16-2014 at 02:22 AM.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for featuring this, DG.

Where's the best place to order? RER?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Interesting stuff. Thanks for featuring this, DG.

Where's the best place to order? RER?
    In the UK probably yes, in N America I'm not sure. Is ReR USA still happening? The latest distribution blurb I just got from ReR to put on my new album mentions morphius.com/rermegacorp for the USA, but that doesn't seem to be working.

Wayside Music has it for $15.00.
    I own several other of Bob's releases, but I don't have this one, so I can't say other than since all of Bob's other music is wonderful, so I'm sure this one is too.
    Off to Wayside to make an order...

I think I've got five of Bob's solo releases, and this would be my no. 2 choice. Wonderful stuff. And some meaty, great banjo!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Skull Mailbox didn't work for me at all, despite the obvious (maybe too obvious?) skill with which it was put together. Was that a bad place to start?

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Skull Mailbox didn't work for me at all, despite the obvious (maybe too obvious?) skill with which it was put together. Was that a bad place to start?
    It depends on what you like, some of the albums are more poppy or more tidy than others, some are noisier and more shambolic...anyway if you are curious you can hear a few tracks from each of them here:
    http://www.bdrak.com/sounds/albumsbd.htm

On the other hand, it could be that you are one of the two or three people in the Universe to whom my unbelievably fabulous masterworks do not appeal in any way shape or form!

Bob
    www.bdrak.com

I really enjoy "13 songs and a thing", even though I managed to listen to the "thing" in its entirety only once or twice. The first track is really powerful, and the whole lot of songs is very good. Perhaps this is my 3rd favorite record in BD's discography, behind Skull Mailbox and Bob's Drive In (the latter being possibly my favorite - gotta love "Some advices about zombies"!). I'm really looking forward to his next effort. By the way, since BD himself is around, may I ask him if it'll be in the same vein of Bob's Drive In?

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    I'm really looking forward to his next effort. By the way, since BD himself is around, may I ask him if it'll be in the same vein of Bob's Drive In?
    Hi Conti,
    Because Bob's Drive-In was a deliberately stripped-down production, wherein I tried to keep the overall picture generally sparse and clear, with not a whole lot going on at any given time (with an exception or two of course), the next album Lawn Ornaments is a very dense production with generally a lot going on most of the time. You can hear two songs from Lawn Ornaments here:
    http://bdblog.bdrak.com/september-october-november/
    I finished this album last August, but the artist who has done the layout and 16 very beautiful illustrations has a very slow pace, so it's still not released yet. Should be not long now!

Musically, I'd attempt to describe it as trying to continue to make condensed tunes with roots in rock 'n roll and pop, without extra baggage where the melody leads the way and there's always a lift and some thrill and a surprise or two somehow, carrying on with whatever I've learned since the last album (which is always A LOT.) That's my own spontaneous attempt at describing it, since you asked! It's much more difficult to attempt to describe the musical direction than it is to attempt to describe the production, best thing is to hear it for yourself I reckon.

Bob
    www.bdrak.com

chalkpie
    Late to the party. 2 threads on this album - ya gotta love it! Great, great album - I think even Bob likes it now

I used to listen to 'The Thing' on headphones whilst walking around my flat in Prague after a hard night of drinking. It's a great cure. Try it.

Parlez-vous francais monsieur Drake? I noticed a french section on your site.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Quote Originally Posted by B D View Post
    Hi Conti,
    Because Bob's Drive-In was a deliberately stripped-down production, wherein I tried to keep the overall picture generally sparse and clear, with not a whole lot going on at any given time (with an exception or two of course), the next album Lawn Ornaments is a very dense production with generally a lot going on most of the time. You can hear two songs from Lawn Ornaments here:
    http://bdblog.bdrak.com/september-october-november/
    I finished this album last August, but the artist who has done the layout and 16 very beautiful illustrations has a very slow pace, so it's still not released yet. Should be not long now!
    Hi Bob,

thank you very much for the link. I really enjoyed the two tracks from your next album. It's definitely more dense than "Bob's Drive In", but still there is a quirky playfulness in these new tracks that resonates very well in my ears. Autobuy for me. I hope it comes out soon.

By the way, any chance to revisit The Science Group formation some day? I really like both albums a lot, especially "Spoors".

Best regards,
    Alberto

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    By the way, any chance to revisit The Science Group formation some day? I really like both albums a lot, especially "Spoors".

Best regards,
    Alberto
    I would never say "never", but I don't expect another Science Group album simply due to how busy everyone is with their various projects.

Bob
    www.bdrak.com

Quote Originally Posted by B D View Post
    I would never say "never", but I don't expect another Science Group album simply due to how busy everyone is with their various projects.
    Of course this doesn't come unexpectedly. Thanks for the answer anyway!

chalkpie
    Hey Bob - how is the new album looking? Summer perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Hey Bob - how is the new album looking? Summer perhaps?
    I will know very soon. It's all at the pressing plant now, and in fact they just emailed me the final proofs of the booklet for printing which all looked fine, so all is well and it won't be long. I'll post the news on my website of course. It will be coming out about 6 months later than I had hoped but in the end I think that's OK, because now it will be coming out in summer (I suppose most listeners will be in the northern hemisphere?) and I always think of my stuff as summery music for hot, still days, preferably late afternoon.

BD
    www.bdrak.com

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Did you try Lawn Ornaments? I haven't heard Skull Mailbox yet, so I can't comment on it, but LO is a masterpiece in terms of songwriting, left field arranging, unorthodox performance, lush production…you name it.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by inhortte View Post
    I used to listen to 'The Thing' on headphones whilst walking around my flat in Prague after a hard night of drinking. It's a great cure. Try it.
    I haven't got any headphones, and I suspect my neighbours won't be all too crazy about enduring "The Thing" a night after I've first exposed them to my usual listening ordeals while drinking - yet I feel strangely compelled to attempt an effort.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I haven't got any headphones, and I suspect my neighbours won't be all too crazy about enduring "The Thing" a night after I've first exposed them to my usual listening ordeals while drinking - yet I feel strangely compelled to attempt an effort.
    I vote for the attempt... Whip it out!

This was from the other thread on the same album, so you can be subjected to my meanderings once again.........

Rtuuf

0:00 - 0:54 - Starts off with a disjunct bass/guitar pattern that makes Thrakattack sound like Bette Midler at a Masingil douche festival. I am convinced that there is some rhythmic pattern here but i just can't catch it. It also sounds like he is banging on some trash can lids or something similar? I hear sort of a I-V in the bass so it has a country-on-meth vibe.

0:54 - A 'real' groove starts to happen (or so you think), but not really....

1:00 - classic virtuosic BD chickenpickin'

1:02 - he adds a stereo panned acoustic chickenpickin' which adds a new texture and dimension. Great.

1:10 - solo clean picking

1:18 - In the RC (right channel), he adds a slight overdrive/distortion to add another new texture

1:24 - In the LC there is a very oddball dissonant guitar "solo"

1:42 - a Great harmonic change happens here!

1:48 - he adds a beautiful Telecaster-type sound in the RC

1:51 - sounds like percussion being tossed or thrown, or similar effect; the whole "band" plays a lick together

1:55 - a great little acoustic lick that leads into:

1:57 - a new section. Add spanish vocals, acoustic guitar strumming in very complex odd time (I think I hear little groups of 5/8). The bass (not really but the lower frequency) sounds like he is tapping/slapping the neck of his guitar or bass for a percussive effect. Nifty.

2:02 - Sax (I think) enters for the first time, filtered through an FX unit

2:22 - panned vocal "chorus" with some really nice delay to give it a real spacey vibe

2:36 - 2:45 - Drums/bass "band" riff groove that sort of eludes at a new direction, but it's almost teasing in a way

2:46 - acoustic gtr with some gorgeous progressions with a minor 9 or almost phyrgian vibe, and also a weird percussion type sound that seems to be circling around like a fly

2:53 - The TECHNO section starts. Sounds like he has some cheesy Casio keyboard factory percussion happening? Also starts cool ass sax solo (again)

3:04 - silence!

3:05 - sax starts solo in octave notes; really wicked and nasty totally grooving rhythm guitar happening here

3:55 - Bass in LC, guitar in RC in an odd-time interplay; sax solo still happening but at this point the sax is part of the bass/guitar interaction

4:03 - TECHNO starts up again. There is some texture lurking in the background that I can't quite figure out - sounds like wind or something?

4:21 - add more instrumentation to the cacaphony

4:29 - Entire band plays "riff" (which was the same as played at 2:36)

4:39 - same gtr progression (as 2:46)

4:47 - "blues" type groove born out of previous section (electric guitar RC)

4:54 - Solo acoustic guitar lick that I think i have heard before, but I can't quite place?

4:56 - Brilliant modulation (key change) to distant key with the "band" (to the tritone I think)

4:58 - Same lick as 4:54 but with the entire "band" this time

5:05 - another modulation and all-out madness

5:09 - Heavy groove in half time feel with trumpets perhaps? (there is trumpet credited in the liner notes)

5:23 - The ending is magnificent - he plays a harmonic on guitar, and there is a pitch that is born out of the feedback

5:28 - He plays a new harmonic, and that same feedback note becomes the Major 3rd of a chord. Brilliant!

Did them doggies record “A Thing” or what? Because it sure sounds like Hank ’n’ Ollie [TM] made a dog’s breakfast out of (guessing here) Cutler’s kit just to stake claims in The Land of Damn Near Unlistenable. Picture them now…in canine fury, paws flailing across toms and all.

So far, 13 Songs is the most challenging BD record I’ve heard. Sounds wonderful on headphones. Lots of great tracks here: The swirling-guitar maelstrom of “Plinth Shriveller” (punctured by exquisite choir stabs), the lurching-reptile-on-steroids ‘tron drenched “Ten for a Dozen” and “In Case the Insulator Fails” (bit of a Dylan piss-take) stand out immediately. “Griffin” is another instant BD classic; its last three lines could have been used for an anthem by Q***n, but BD just uses it as the money shot en passant.

To top it all off, “Spicules” sounds like The Shaggs trying to play “Queen Bitch” but making up three new songs along the way. Fantastic!
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Did them doggies record “A Thing” or what? Because it sure sounds like Hank ’n’ Ollie [TM] made a dog’s breakfast out of (guessing here) Cutler’s kit just to stake claims in The Land of Damn Near Unlistenable. Picture them now…in canine fury, paws flailing across toms and all.
    !
    Cutler isn't on that one. It started out with me playing 10 tracks of non-rhythmic drumkit, which runs through the whole piece, and on top of that I combined the contents of maybe 100 or more of the cassettes of all kinds of things I'd recorded over the decades, all the way back to the late 60's. The original piece was 45 minutes long, the length of one side of most of my cassettes. I shortened it by cutting it into (I forget how many) shorter sections and superimposing them all so it became that much more dense. I remember working on that piece over a period of maybe 3 or 4 days/nights, I was so excited by it I rarely slept, it was so energizing and fun.

‘tron drenched “Ten for a Dozen”
    That's Olivier from NeBeLnEsT playing Mellotron. It's the only time that instrument appears on any of my solo albums. I knew he'd do something good and he did.

and “In Case the Insulator Fails” (bit of a Dylan piss-take)
    It certainly wasn't meant to be a piss-take on anyone, it's just a tune with slide guitar and a little melodic chorus bit, with the chorus melody going on over the next sections.But that all makes it sound technical. "It's just a song", that's the closest thing I can say about it!

“Griffin” is another instant BD classic;
    Yes that's a good tune! Still love playing that one, it's in my solo show set. And the words really are a verbatim description of a dream I had. Every now and then when I have a particularly "good" or "interesting" dream, I'll write it down immediately upon waking up, they make good lyrics or at least good reading.

To top it all off, “Spicules” sounds like The Shaggs trying to play “Queen Bitch” but making up three new songs along the way. Fantastic!
    That's really a funny one isn't it! Many good laughs making and listening to that one. I had to look up "Queen Bitch", hadn't heard of it...I see it's on one of his albums I have never heard (yet). Once again, I had no one in mind, it was just a funny little song based on those chords played on a slightly out-of-tune guitar, and the middle section where I played everything left-handed (I'm right handed.)

Glad you're enjoying it all!
    Bob
    www.bdrak.com
    Last edited by Bob Drake; 01-14-2016 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Punctuation, or lack therof, misspellings.