Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tell Me That Haken Isn't Too Unique

Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    My fave Threshold singer is Mac... And I'm fully sure that some albums feat. his wonderful voice ('Clone' and 'Hypothetical') surpass anything DT and (especially) Haken ever released.
    all these three bands are different and might appeal to different audience. DT and Haken are way more technical and complex, while Threshold might posses interesting tunes based on very straightforward implementation. I used to like Threshold 15 years ago (Psyhodelicatessen and Extinct Instinct)... maybe even with G Morgan at the mike more so. And while we are at the subject that X is better than Y, Headspace is of course better than Threshold.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Sounds pretty interesting, I typically like my metal more full on or more quirky, I don't hear anything too unique here. Probably a touch to harmonic and symphonic for my tastes.

I'll probably stick to Unexpect, Stolen Babies, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Tool & Animals As Leaders. Not clear on uniqueness but I find these more interesting and entertaining to my tastes.
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 03-04-2014 at 10:48 PM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

(About Opeth)

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Never thought I would either and...I still don't. Damnation is their only album I can listen to from beginning to end, the rest are spoiled by those cretinous death growls, which completely kill any subtlety, or any ability for me to take them seriously.
    Their most recent album (Heritage) is in a similar vein to Damnation, and lacks death growls.

Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    I mean that Haken is a bad clone of Threshold (who're better than DT, for me at least).
    Wow! We must live in opposite Prog Metal Worlds, one of us is in Bizarro Prog Metal World.

Apparently in yours, Threshold is better than DT, even though in most worlds they are a DT clone. AND Haken is a Threshold clone???

Sorry, but I think you are in the Bizarro.

Threshold, DT, and Haken exist in the same Prog Metal B R O A D genre but that's where the comparison ends. DT is very symphonic/tech heavy on wankery and opera, while Threshold are more straight forward Metal with Prog flourishes. Haken are complex, symphonic with traditional rock vocals, including layered harmonies. If any of us heard all three without any prior knowledge I bet we would classify them differently.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Tension View Post
    Magic Pie is being mentioned because the person who started the thread compared the two bands...

Why are you so against them being mentioned if that was the wish of the person who started the thread????
    Because there are no similarities between them at all. He's comparing bands in different genres, it would be like me comparing Genesis to Dream Theater, doesn't make a lot of sense. I happen to love both of course, but tey fill totally different musical needs.

I listened to some Threshold years ago, but they seemed a little too "safe" for my taste. With prog-metal, I want over the top playing to go along with strong melodies and heaviness. I just don't find their brand of music that appealing, though I certainly wouldn't call it terrible.

Haken, DT and Threshold are probably my favorites bands in the Progressive Metal genre. Agree this is not the most original type of music and that each band is different. When i want to listen to something more adventurous i play Unexpect, Between the Buried and me or Pain Of Salvation. I think all of those bands have something appealing on different levels, but in the end i think that Dream Theater and Haken are the 2 bands that have more similarity between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    Because there are no similarities between them at all. He's comparing bands in different genres, it would be like me comparing Genesis to Dream Theater, doesn't make a lot of sense. I happen to love both of course, but tey fill totally different musical needs.
    Come on that comparison is too extreme....

For me neither are really metal bands so that puts them close enough to compare....
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!