Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Melvins

That's one small part of what they do or at least what they did, they were one of the key bands to develop that sound (Lysol was a big influence on Sleep's seminal Dopesmoker). It's not the whole Melvins weird, eclectic trip by any means.

Buzz himself describes them as 'A heavy metal Captain Beefheart'.

Saw them open for Gwar back in the early 90's. Pretty great.

Dale's one of the greatest rock drummers ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv497aed1j0

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Dale's one of the greatest rock drummers ever:
    ^ Oh yeah? Well thank you, Captain Obvious!

My top three would be:
    Gluey Porch Treatments
    (A) Senile Animal
    Hold It In (since it's their latest)

So Chalky, did you ever get around to checking out (the) Melvins?
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Nice to see a Melvins thread in the main forum (my cat Melvin sits on my lap as I type this -and no, he was not named after the band).

One of the strangest nights of my life was when I saw the Melvins a few years back, probably one of the most intense and heaviest bands I have ever seen (metal is only part of it, the rest is sheer intensity). They did a very twisted take on the Beatles 'I Want To Hold Your Hand'. The show took place in this weird warehouse type bar across the river from St Louis, after the show I'm driving home and traffic comes to a complete stop due to a livestock truck that had overturned, just the thought of a bunch of cows going to market having their lives come to an even more violent end was bad enough, adding to that seeing a bunch of loose cattle scurrying around the city of St Louis made for an even more surreal evening.

Lot's of great albums have been suggested, once you get settled into the Melvins I also suggest the stuff they did with Jello Biafra (Sieg Howdy, Never Breath What You Can't See)
    Last edited by progholio; 03-03-2015 at 03:14 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Have to admit that is one band where the name kind of ensured I'd have zero interest in them, at least until I found out more. I always assumed they were like the band that did the Friends theme song or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    they were like the band that did the Friends theme song or something like that.
    Now I really, really want to hear The Melvins cover the Friends theme song.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Now I really, really want to hear The Melvins cover the Friends theme song.

I adore Lysol...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    One of the strangest nights of my life was when I saw the Melvins a few years back, probably one of the most intense and heaviest bands I have ever seen (metal is only part of it, the rest is sheer intensity). They did a very twisted take on the Beatles 'I Want To Hold Your Hand'. The show took place in this weird warehouse type bar across the river from St Louis, after the show I'm driving home and traffic comes to a complete stop due to a livestock truck that had overturned, just the thought of a bunch of cows going to market having their lives come to an even more violent end was bad enough, adding to that seeing a bunch of loose cattle scurrying around the city of St Louis made for an even more surreal evening.
    Strange things may happen when (the) Melvins hit the road. On their 2011 tour they arrived in New Zealand just in time for the Christchurch earthquake and, a few weeks later in Japan, for the Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami. They also had to open for Faith No More once and the “baby rockers” (to quote Buzz) did not take to them very kindly. FNM retaliated by playing about an hour of pure white noise and....oh, just listen here:

EDIT: It was Mr. Bungle, actually, not FNM

Last edited by at least 100 dead; 03-05-2015 at 01:39 PM.

Incredible band. Any prog fan should check out the show with Mike Patton/Fantomas incl. King Buzzo (Melvins) and Terry Bozzio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubauFpvtBeA

I like Bullhead. It has the song "Boris" from which the band "Boris" took their name.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    These guys seem very interesting. What's the deal? Top 3 albums to check out first?
    been meaning to listen closer for a long time now. @chalkpie: this (w/ NAPALM DEATH) should make sense:

Quote Originally Posted by Andre C View Post
    Incredible band. Any prog fan should check out the show with Mike Patton/Fantomas incl. King Buzzo (Melvins) and Terry Bozzio
    Indeed. Saw Fantômas in 2001 with Dave Lombardo on drums and it's a miracle they didn't obliterate the concert hall that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian1019 View Post
    Forgive me for this stupid question, but are these guys Stoner Rock/Metal?
    I guess just about anything passes for Prog these days.

Here's a Kickstarter campaign if you want to help fund "Colossus of Destiny, A Melvins Tale".

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...tale?ref=video

I used to check out the Melvins once in a while to see if I could get past Buzz's 'singing'. it took several visits over several years. Last year I finally fell in love with them. Just choose an album or 3 and go for it. IMO, it's tough to go wrong. Buzz is a fascinating interview. I've watched a ton of 'em. I love his attitude about people dlg music for free. he's no whiner.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    been meaning to listen closer for a long time now. @chalkpie: this (w/ NAPALM DEATH) should make sense:

^^AWESOME!

I've lost hours trawling the Internet for Buzz interviews. Like Frank Zappa or Steve Albini he's one of the rare rock musicians with something (of worth) to say. Incredibly incisive, witty and inspiring.
    This one is no exception. Thanks for posting.

^you forgot to mention that he has the greatest laugh in showbiz.

Big Melvins fan (current top 3: Stag, Hostile Ambient Takeover and Stoner Witch, but it's always changing). Their latest album is really good as well and has some downright accessible songs on it. What's good about that is that in the hands of the Melvins the straight songs sound even weirder than the weird ones.

Speaking of interviews, the one Buzz did for Soft Focus is extraordinary

He'd no doubt make it as a stand up comic should the music career dry up (he reminds me of Mike Patton in that regard)'

For me, gun to head:

Gluey Porch Treatments
    Stag
    Hostile Ambient Takeover

Luckily there's not a gun to my head. Not currently at least.

Stoner Witch amazing, nonetheless, and certainly one of the great album
    names.

What do we make of Ozma then? that's an odd one. The production makes it sound much lighter than GPT even though the music is just as heavy. 'Oven' is completely demented.

Bullhead is also slightly marred by dodgy production imho, if you hear the live versions of Boris and Anaconda there's no contest really. GPT has kind of a lo-fi production, and yet it sounds heavy as fuck.

Anyway....when favourites collide

Melvins+Foetus+Bowie=

and a song from the latest album (with 2 ex-members of the Butthole Surfers)

This completely threw me the first time i heard it. I'm still not sure if it's quite brilliant or fucking terrible

As for the loudest gigs i've ever seen it goes:
    1-Swans
    2-Melvins
    3-Cardiacs (Astoria gigs in particular).

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    What do we make of Ozma then? that's an odd one. The production makes it sound much lighter than GPT even though the music is just as heavy. 'Oven' is completely demented.
    Raise a Paw is another great one from Ozma.