Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prog Rock 101.

Yezz, you mayz! - I callz it flunk-us....ya dig!

Where is good ol' Z Bop, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Are we still hung up on labels and classifications?
    You either like it, or you don't. Period.
    as it is in my id.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Hi, my name is Peter, I'm 52 and I like music.
    hi Peter. I'm David, I'm ehhhh mid 50's-ish, and I like music too. How's Gordon?

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    as it is in my id.

hi Peter. I'm David, I'm ehhhh mid 50's-ish, and I like music too. How's Gordon?
    How's Harry, David? ;-)

Banned
    I rike plog lock.

Uh...then what do you call Jazz that has odd time signature but rocks? What do you call Country that includes Blues, Jazz, Bluegrass, R&B, and Rockabilly together?

Better yet, what do you call a person who thinks definitions of music should revolve around his own limited perception and lifespan?

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Better yet, what do you call a person who thinks definitions of music should revolve around his own limited perception and lifespan?
    Annoying.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Uh...then what do you call Jazz that has odd time signature but rocks? What do you call Country that includes Blues, Jazz, Bluegrass, R&B, and Rockabilly together?

A human being.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Where is good ol' Z Bop, anyway?
    Yea, I really miss him, so some of my posts are as you realise a small tribute to his warm oddness.

The average thinking musical listener. ALL music is related by the listener to his limited life, to its emotions and conditions. THAT'S WHAT MUSIC IS FOR, e.g. When I listen to Kate Bush's Army Dreamers I think of my time in the military and feel sad.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post

Gordon's dead. Died in 2009 in Norwich, CT. If you mean Gordon Waller that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    Wouldn't disagree that Mahavishnu Orch. had rock elements, (ok so far?). Would say that most competent observers credit them as a band that pushed some boundaries, (and due to this were progressive).

Would "they contain Prog Rock elements" if they had gnomes dancing around at gigs... wore capes or painted their faces?
    That might've helped.

Heck, some jazz purists such as (hypothetically) Wynton Marsallis might possibly refuse to acknowledge that The Mahavishnu Orchestra had any jazz elements. Some of that ilk would consider them to be a rock band.

So it's all subjective and directly related to one's own belief system. I don't think most of the originators of progressive rock knew or cared that it was progressive rock. They just brought whatever musical styles they were influenced by to the table and plopped it all in to a blender and came up with what they came up with. What initially attracted me to prog way back in the '70s was that there were all of these various multiple-genre musical influences coming into play. Frankly, I had no idea that the MO and ELP belonged to different musical categories back then. Those were the good 'ole days!

My point: call it whatever you want to call it. Use whatever gauge you use to distinguish between rock "elements" and actual rock. But the bottom line is whether or not it appeals to you. That's all I care about anyway.
    Last edited by No Pride; 02-21-2014 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    My point: call it whatever you want to call it. Use whatever gauge you use to distinguish between rock "elements" and actual rock. But the bottom line is whether or not it appeals to you. That's all I care about anyway.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    So it's all subjective and directly related to one's own belief system. I don't think most of the originators of progressive rock knew or cared that it was progressive rock. They just brought whatever musical styles they were influenced by to the table and plopped it all in to a blender and came up with what they came up with. What initially attracted me to prog way back in the '70s was that there were all of these various multiple-genre musical influences coming into play. Frankly, I had no idea that the MO and ELP belonged to different musical categories back then. Those were the good 'ole days!

Well said.

I worked at a pretty well known record store in The San Fernando valley from the late 70's through the mid 80's while going to school.

I was the last of the 'prog' employees there when New Wave and punk became popular. I had a pretty good following of people looking for recommendations for music. I never once had a progressive music listener comment to me that the Iceberg album I recommended was "not prog, it's fusion", or anything similar. Everyone I knew would have looked at anyone that said something like that they were nuts.

At live concerts, I would always see the same people at Genesis or Camel shows as I would see at DiMeola or Weather Report gigs. People would approach me at a fusion gig, like an Alphonso Johnson, and ask if the new Zammla Mammas Manna or some other 'prog' album is in stock yet.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    If it doesn't have orange, then it isn't progressive rock. Case closed.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I rike plog lock.