Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CD Packaging

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    My favorite packaging:

I assume that white disc in the middle spins? Where's the tone arm?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I assume that white disc in the middle spins? Where's the tone arm?

with more and more data taking up smaller and smaller spaces, at some point I might have to use color coding to be able to distinguish my music player from my hearing aid battery. But that's a long way off, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    with more and more data taking up smaller and smaller spaces, at some point I might have to use color coding to be able to distinguish my music player from my pacemaker battery. But that's a long way off, I hope.
    You'll be safe as long as you don't listen to anything in 7/8.

I like the cigar box design of Tears For Fears "Raoul and the Kings of Spain"
    392801B.jpg
    Reminds me of the "Sgt. Pepper" add-ins. I bought this for $5 at a used record store (it was still factory-sealed). Darn good album too, though essentially a Orzabal solo record.

-noisynoise
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    I like the cigar box design of Tears For Fears "Raoul and the Kings of Spain"
    392801B.jpg
    Reminds me of the "Sgt. Pepper" add-ins. I bought this for $5 at a used record store (it was still factory-sealed). Darn good album too, though essentially a Orzabal solo record.

-noisynoise
    What a steal! That is a promotional item and was not intended for retail outlets. It is a nice package, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    It takes about a minute to fix. You bust out the remnants of the damaged hub with a needle-nose pliers, and paste on one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rds=B001OEX1X4

edit: I agree about the poor design, though.
    Wow, thanks

Didn't that existed...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I was never a fan of the CD format or its packaging, no matter how lush it was.

LP covers....'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    LOL

I also really like the Wendy Carlos Switched-On Boxed Set, which while simple in it's contents, is very nicely designed and chock-full of interesting information. There are two books with 200 pages of really interesting information and history. A feast for analog synth fans.:

I have that one. I still know where I bought it, alas I don't know when exactly.

I am currently working on some packaging for a few different clients. One project is designing a box set that includes pre-existing DVDs. If they approve the prototype, I can go public with it. It's very fun and challenging. I've done a few of these before, but this one is very time consuming.

As for CD packaging, I posted this from the thread:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...of-album-cover

David Baerwald & The New Folk Underground

Manufactured specific for this release only. They had a cardboard company cut pieces to accommodate, then scored the spine with an exacto knife. I helped put these together. Very nice and each is definitely unique as the front cover was stamped individually and numbered on the cover. The inside booklet was also numbered and signed and is glued to the inside cover, along with the CD holders.

http://www.dbinfosource.com/discog/cdinfo.asp?cd=afm

The full title is David Baerwald and The New Folk Underground (featuring Will Sexton) - A Fine Mess. This very special edition CD was released through this website in December of 1999. There were roughly 500 of these produced. Most of the 500 were stamped with an individual number and signed by David. A smaller portion of the 500 were only signed and not numbered. The 2 disc 28 song collection contains guest appearances by Jewel, Sheryl Crow, Kevin Gilbert and many others. Art work for the packaging was created by Jeff Wells. The final packaging, although not exactly as it was initially planned, gave the set that classic DIY appeal that it deserved. Of course, this set has long since sold out, but they occassionally pop up on ebay - with most selling for well over $100. The set originally sold for $20 which included shipping.

Does anyone have the JT 25 year "cigar box" ? Is it still functioning ? I only bought the "boring" 20 year box, for the prosaic reason that it is a far better selection of tracks, but even that seems to be worth a fair price these days.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    Does anyone have the JT 25 year "cigar box" ? Is it still functioning ? I only bought the "boring" 20 year box, for the prosaic reason that it is a far better selection of tracks, but even that seems to be worth a fair price these days.
    I have the 25 YR Cigar Box. Still functioning, though the cardboard inside "tray" was a bit messed up when I bought it. Nice set though, and I love the book that came with it.

One of the coolest CD packages I have is Ryuichi Sakamoto's "Playing the Orchestra" rs1g.jpg I only buy physical product. Mp3's be damned!
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"