Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: echolyn New Album UPDATE from Brett Kull

echolyn New Album UPDATE from Brett Kull

Here's the latest from Brett Kull on the upcoming album and it sounds like they're on a creative musical freight train:

Last Thursday my band echolyn got together as per our weekly writing sessions. We decided to tackle a new song (#8) after just completing a tricky rocker the previous Thursday. Ray had an idea that Paul and I had loosely worked on last summer – for an outside festival we annually play. I liked the tune and wanted to see where it could go within the echolyn dynamic.

There must have been some good vibes in the night air because we locked onto a beautiful arrangement very quickly. It happened so fast that we all stood in shock upon its completion. We needed a song like this to give us a boost…. And it came at a perfect time.

Our demo recording process is a generally just done with a U87 on an omni setting in the middle of the room. That’s what you’ll hear in this video blog. I also cut in some footage of us working on an older song (Accumulated Blur) back in 2007. That song was the moment when we locked onto something different… that would inspire us for the rest of our 2012 release.

This new song has something special to it that reminds me of the session for Accumulated Blur.

Next week, we’ll track the drums and various instruments for solid working demos of song #7 and the one you hear in this video (#8).
    More to come!
    Take care
    b

echolynfan

Romans 8:28: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

Thanks Brett. As one of my all time favorite bands, any hint of new Echolyn music in the air is more than just welcome. It makes me a VERY happy man! Good luck with the process. Just knowing something is in the pipeline makes it a tough wait, but one I KNOW will be richly rewarded.

Good to hear that the juices are still flowing in Camp Echolyn. I'd have settled for a Kull solo album but a full on Echolyn disc is great news indeed!

Maybe they'll be able to play live gigs? Maybe even travel to play live gigs??
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

After everything yall have been thru, it does my heart good to see everyone together, still making music. Fire in the belly from a strong drink! I hope to see yall play the new music live before I go utterly mad

Is Ray channeling Dr. Evil or Fred Flintstone? An enigma to the end!

Quote Originally Posted by jgprogbear View Post
    Thanks Brett. As one of my all time favorite bands, any hint of new Echolyn music in the air is more than just welcome. It makes me a VERY happy man! Good luck with the process. Just knowing something is in the pipeline makes it a tough wait, but one I KNOW will be richly rewarded.
    Just to make it clear - I'm NOT Brett...I just reposted his latest blog
    echolynfan

Romans 8:28: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Good to hear that the juices are still flowing in Camp Echolyn. I'd have settled for a Kull solo album but a full on Echolyn disc is great news indeed!

Maybe they'll be able to play live gigs? Maybe even travel to play live gigs??
    It sounds like there will be some live gigs coming up from the comments I've read - nothing concrete yet. I live just about an hour from echolyn camp so they'd better play some local shows lol
    echolynfan

Look for exciting (and definitive) news very soon about live echolyn in the fall...:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Werbinox View Post
    After everything yall have been thru, it does my heart good to see everyone together, still making music. Fire in the belly from a strong drink! I hope to see yall play the new music live before I go utterly mad

Is Ray channeling Dr. Evil or Fred Flintstone? An enigma to the end!
    LOL
    echolynfan

It would be great to see them return to Montreal. It's only a day's drive away! I think I know some people who might be interested in putting such a show on. Hell, I'd be willing to invest in such a show.

I'd have settled for a Kull solo album but a full on Echolyn disc is great news indeed!
    I happened to check their Bandcamp site just now, and it looks like you get your wish, Yves.

http://echolyn.bandcamp.com/album/tr...t-william-kull

Looks like an odds and sods type thing, 37 short tracks, but listening to it now, sounds nice so far. I'll buy it.

There are also a couple of new free covers by Brett, She's Leaving Home by the Beatles, and Please Forgive Me by David Gray (love both songs).

Echolynfan, do you know if the new echolyn album will include any of the post-window album tracks released on Bandcamp (Accumulated Blur, Another Stone, Crows Fly By) ?

I wasn't aware that those recordings existed. I may have to samples those when I get home. Not a true BK solo record, but it could be interesting. Thanks for the link!

Holy cow! Given the wait between TEIB and echolyn I expected at least another 3 years before a new album. Great news!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    I happened to check their Bandcamp site just now, and it looks like you get your wish, Yves.

http://echolyn.bandcamp.com/album/tr...t-william-kull

Looks like an odds and sods type thing, 37 short tracks, but listening to it now, sounds nice so far. I'll buy it.

There are also a couple of new free covers by Brett, She's Leaving Home by the Beatles, and Please Forgive Me by David Gray (love both songs).

Echolynfan, do you know if the new echolyn album will include any of the post-window album tracks released on Bandcamp (Accumulated Blur, Another Stone, Crows Fly By) ?
    Since they were released as singles I would imagine not but you never know
    echolynfan

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    Holy cow! Given the wait between TEIB and echolyn I expected at least another 3 years before a new album. Great news!!
    I was really pleasantly surprised as well but they appear to be in a creative streak and very excited about the new material as you can tell from watching the video
    echolynfan

SWEEEEET!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

This release will coincide with Rob and Chad's announcement that NEARfest Phoenix (as in rising from its ashes, not the city in AZ) will be headlined by....... Echolyn!

DISCLAIMER: This posts reflects the wishes of the poster only, and is not endorsed by NEARfest, nor its founders, in any way.
    Last edited by Yves; 01-29-2014 at 02:01 PM.

Awesome to read this, it seems a new album wont be far away at all. Certainly not the 7 year gap this time around. I'm still enjoying the hell out of the Window Pane album, still feels new to me. Looking forward to watching this video clip tonight.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    The new song sounds really sweet, really looking forward to the release and a tour.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Echoing the sentiment that it makes the heart feel good to know that Echolyn is still making music. Their "2012 album" as they seem to call it (confirmation that making it s/t wasn't the best idea) was breathtaking.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It would be great to see them return to Montreal. It's only a day's drive away! I think I know some people who might be interested in putting such a show on.
    Marillion Weekend 2015?

Where's the 'like' button here?:-)

searching preorder button, so that I can get my signed copy sooner rather than later.

As in all things echolyn, totally juiced for this news!!

i'll be honest...from the sound of their jamming it doesn't sound to be really there...but i felt the same when "Another Stone" was entitled "Hey Little Man" or something to that effect when the videos were circulating around the 2012 release...so, really, i hope to be as moved to tears and floored by the new one as i was then!

Also thank you for continuing and not relapsing into Tool-mode of 8 years, what a bunch of assclowns.

Maybe it's just jamming for the most part, but I like what I hear.