Thread: Four of my Genesis LPs returned to me 18 years later!

Four of my Genesis LPs returned to me 18 years later!

lps.jpg

A buddy of mine found these LPs I had loaned him when I lived in Calgary at the age of 23 in 1996, shortly before I moved back home to Toronto. We had both forgotten all about them, and today he surprised me with them by shipping them to me (for free) with a note saying "Remember these?"

Just a fun little story I felt like sharing.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

What's that 'Presenting Genesis' one, a live ROIO release?

With 'Spot The Pigeon' many years ago I saw a 3" CD of that, I wonder if it was rare.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    What's that 'Presenting Genesis' one, a live ROIO release?
    No, it's an official Charisma compilation (half live), a 1974 Canadian pressing on Buddha Records - with this bizarre track list:

Side One
    ---------

1. The Musical Box (live)
    2. The Fountain Of Salmacis
    3. Time Table

Side Two
    ---------

1. The Return Of The Giant Hogweed (live)
    2. The Knife (live)
    3. Seven Stones

Back cover is Gabriel with batwings. LP itself is in excellent condition! Cover is VG+...

Revelatory Genesis 80:78 is of course an ROIO, the famous Lyceum May 7, 1980 show with three tracks from Knebworth '78 thrown in (FYFM, Burning Rope, Salmacis).

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    With 'Spot The Pigeon' many years ago I saw a 3" CD of that, I wonder if it was rare.
    I had that! It was the first one I ever saw, I didn't realize you could play a CD so small. I don't know if it was rare, I just bought mine at the local indie LP/CD shop but it may be rare nowadays. I regret selling that now.
    Last edited by Progatron; 01-21-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I used to see Revelatory Genesis at used record stores all the time back in the late 80's, but never bought it. I did eventually got more complete copies of those shows on CD years later (though the Knebworth show still appears to be a "edited highlights" program).

I've seen- but never bought- a few of those overseas compilations over the years. One common one is 'Rock Theatre', another one is a double Japanese one which seems quite lavish called 'The Story Of Genesis' that I recall had a booklet. There's a strange CD called 'Genesis 81-83' or something like that, which compiles songs from only those two years. And I dread to think how many repackages the FGTR era has had...I've only ever had the CD 'Where The Sour Turns To Sweet', that is identical to the tracklist of 'Rock Roots' you have there.

I remember an odd import 4-track vinyl single with 'Follow You Follow Me' on it alongside (I forget who else was on it) a song by Leif Garrett, a 'teen idol' of that time.