Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Akerfeldt talks new Opeth album

Akerfeldt talks new Opeth album

I'm dying to hear that Goblin-inspired piece.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ope...strumentation/

Guitarist/vocalist Mikael Åkerfeldt of Swedish progressive metallers OPETH spoke to Decibel magazine about the progress of the songwriting sessions for the band's follow-up to 2011's "Heritage".

"I have about six songs done and another two or three just started," he said, "plus a million ideas that I haven't processed yet. Some songs are simple and stripped-down, while others are epic in the true sense of the word. Business as usual, hopefully with unusual music."

Åkerfeldt also revealed that he plans to enrich at least a few of the new OPETH tracks with strings.

"Some of these things could easily be done with synthetic sounds or effects," he said, "but recording the STORM CORROSION LP with Steven Wilson made me realize what a massive difference it can mean to incorporate the real shit. I'm semi-pretentious in my songwriting and sometimes I go all in. I think it's time for 'all in' with strings and the full monty. Hopefully it won't be a mess."

One of the songs that will appear on OPETH's forthcoming album was previously described by Åkerfeldt as a "crazy rip-off" of Italian prog outfit GOBLIN, which formed in 1972 and ran for ten years before splitting (the band has since reformed).

"It's a jam I came up with during the MASTODON/GHOST tour," he told Decibel, "that we ended up soundchecking. After a few days, you'd hear people in the corridors humming it. It's a fucking hit! But basically it's a not-so-subtle headbanging-type nod in GOBLIN's direction. And to avoid confusion, the song is even called 'Goblin'. My rip-off deteriorates mid-song and becomes fusion-esque darkened prog rock like MAHAVISHNU or ELP (yikes!). But it swings! It really does."

Speaking to the Swedish newspaper Expressen in September, Åkerfeldt stated about OPETH's plans for the upcoming CD: "We've been looking at [tracking the next album at] Rockfield Studios in Wales where QUEEN recorded 'Bohemian Rhapsody', but we haven't made a decision yet. But it will be an expensive album. There's a lot going on, lots of string arrangements that we haven't had in the past."

Asked if the forthcoming effort will be heavier or softer than 2011's "Heritage", Mikael said: "Maybe a little bit heavier. Not death metal heavy, but hard rock/heavy metal heavy. There's also lots of progressive elements and acoustic guitars, but also more sinister-sounding riffs."

Åkerfeldt also revealed that he was going to produce the new OPETH album himself, explaining: "I love the way DIO's 'Holy Diver' sounds, this early-'80s sound where you can still hear the '70s, but the production is heavier. Right now I'm into having a similar production that isn't retro but it still sounds like real instruments and it's heavier than 'Heritage'."

"Heritage" sold 19,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 19 on The Billboard 200 chart. The band's previous studio CD, 2008's "Watershed", opened with more than 19,000 units to land at No. 23.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    I was on Facebook recently and saw a post from Classic Rock Presents Prog. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Goblin piece might not make the cut(according to the article linked).

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I was on Facebook recently and saw a post from Classic Rock Presents Prog. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Goblin piece might not make the cut(according to the article linked).
    Yea...because he's a douche for wanting this........I see you haven't been laid yet.....

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Yea...because he's a douche for wanting this........I see you haven't been laid yet.....
    No, you're wrong. JIF totally made him look like a fool for wanting to hear that song.

JIF WINS AGAIN!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    I think JIF was just giving him an update...

Before JIF's very presence in this thread began to corrode it - as is almost always the case, allow me to state that the PROG interview he mentions referred to a quote from 2012 where Mikael said "Goblin" 'might be too weird to make the cut'. He has since said otherwise, and my post still stands. What I was mostly hoping for was others to enthused by this (albeit minor) update on the proceedings of the ever-evolving Opeth.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Color me cautiously optimistic. I passed on Heritage, which is surprising considering what a huge fan of their music I am. Actually, I passed on Storm Corrosion as well. I hope to be back on the bus with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I was mostly hoping for was others to enthused by this (albeit minor) update on the proceedings of the ever-evolving Opeth.
    I am indeed enthused. Thanks for posting that!

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    Color me cautiously optimistic. I passed on Heritage, which is surprising considering what a huge fan of their music I am. Actually, I passed on Storm Corrosion as well. I hope to be back on the bus with this one.
    Surprising indeed! I'm a huge fan of all their music right from their debut album, and I've really been enjoying the ride and following their evolution. Heritage (and Storm Corrosion, to a degree) contains some amazing music IMO. Obviously not for everyone, but I really am stoked about more Opeth, particularly if the music continues on this path. I'd be happy with more of the metal stuff too, but how much further can that road be taken? That being said, Watershed was outstanding as well.

See, I loved Watershed. The records after it just didn't do it for me. I don't know, maybe I just was in the wrong headspace for them at the time. I'll probably give them another shot someday but there's just so much to explore it may not be for a decade or so.

My own appreciation for Opeth seems to have peaked with Ghost Reveries and live output from that tour (Roundhouse Tapes). I liked about half of Watershed but found the other half kind of lukewarm. Heritage...well, I don't have much in the way of kind words for that one, other than saying that I'm happy it has fans.

So....I'm curious about the next one, but my personal expectations are pretty low. Again, just speaking for myself...I'll go out on a limb and speculate that plenty of folks who loved Heritage will find plenty more to enjoy in the next one too. Akerfeldt seems to be pretty content with the musical direction on Heritage, and I'd imagine the next one will be more of a refinement than a massive shift.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    My own appreciation for Opeth seems to have peaked with Ghost Reveries and live output from that tour (Roundhouse Tapes). I liked about half of Watershed but found the other half kind of lukewarm. Heritage...well, I don't have much in the way of kind words for that one, other than saying that I'm happy it has fans.

So....I'm curious about the next one, but my personal expectations are pretty low. Again, just speaking for myself...I'll go out on a limb and speculate that plenty of folks who loved Heritage will find plenty more to enjoy in the next one too. Akerfeldt seems to be pretty content with the musical direction on Heritage, and I'd imagine the next one will be more of a refinement than a massive shift.
    What he said.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Banned
    Before JIF's very presence in this thread began to corrode it - as is almost always the case, allow me to state that the PROG interview he mentions referred to a quote from 2012 where Mikael said "Goblin" 'might be too weird to make the cut'. He has since said otherwise, and my post still stands. What I was mostly hoping for was others to enthused by this (albeit minor) update on the proceedings of the ever-evolving Opeth.
    You can stop being a dick now. I only shared that bit of news because it appeared on my Facebook news feed yesterday, and I wanted to revive this thread, because there was only one post.

I'm enthused.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think JIF was just giving him an update...
    Thanks for having my back. Like I said before, that appeared on my Facebook news feed yesterday morning. I've never heard any Goblin, but I'd like to because they do horror film soundtracks. If Opeth does do a Goblin-inspired track, maybe it would turn Opeth fans into Goblin fans.

I have not heard an Opeth album in its entirely with the exception of "Heritage" and "Damnation" and I enjoy both of them. I always thought Akerfeldt had a wonderful clean voice, but could never do the whole Cookie Monster thing. Perhaps one I these days, I'll try an older album, but for now, color me excited for an Opeth release in the "Heritage" vein!

What I was mostly hoping for was others to enthused by this (albeit minor) update on the proceedings of the ever-evolving Opeth.
    Very enthused. Totally into the band's continuing evolution - have enjoyed the journey from Orchid to Heritage, and have no doubts that the newie will be just as rewarding. And recorded at Rockfield in Wales too!(Akerfeldt references Queen, but the clincher for me was the Rush connection to that studio...)

Auto-buy for me...saw them live in India in 2012...excellent band. I like or love most of their output. Lots of genius musical textures on those early albums. I enjoyed Heritage very much; Storm Corrosion...ehhh...

IMO, and only IMO...Opeth's current drummer is channeling Barriemore Barlow...which is really fine by me!
    For that which is not,
    there is no coming into being
    and for that which is,
    there is no ceasing to be;
    yea of both of these the lookers into truth have seen an end.
    Bhagavad Gita

Quote Originally Posted by Bungalow Bill View Post

IMO, and only IMO...Opeth's current drummer is channeling Barriemore Barlow...which is really fine by me!
    Interesting take! I've never heard that comparison before. Tell me, how did you come to see them in India?!

While I was glad to hear Akerfeldt switch over to 'clean' vocals, I must admit that "Heritage" wore thin on me in a hurry. I wanted to like it so much that it took a while for me to realise that most songs on the disc just kind of meandre. Today, when a track kicks up on my iPod, I more often than not skip over it. I'll listen to camples on this next one before taking the plunge.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Interesting take! I've never heard that comparison before. Tell me, how did you come to see them in India?!
    I was living there at the time, in Chennai, and went to their show in Bangalore. Also attended their press conference at the Hard Rock Cafe there, which wasn't great but was still OK. They played outside in Bangalore. (I can't remember the names of the opening acts but they were all very good.) I had seen Enslaved and Meshuggah the year before at the same venue. The sound was crystal clear. I was amazed.

Anyway, Opeth played a great blend of new and old. The drummer is easily the best I've seen in a long time. Intricate, smart, clever, subtle but then powerful when necessary.

Looking forward to next release...
    For that which is not,
    and for that which is,
    Bhagavad Gita

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungalow Bill View Post
    I was living there at the time, in Chennai, and went to their show in Bangalore. Also attended their press conference at the Hard Rock Cafe there, which wasn't great but was still OK. They played outside in Bangalore. (I can't remember the names of the opening acts but they were all very good.) I had seen Enslaved and Meshuggah the year before at the same venue. The sound was crystal clear. I was amazed.

Anyway, Opeth played a great blend of new and old. The drummer is easily the best I've seen in a long time. Intricate, smart, clever, subtle but then powerful when necessary.

Looking forward to next release...
    Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Cool!
    I'll say this too. I hated Meshuggah's singer but the band was phenomenal. The guitarist was channeling Fripp but put an intense, metal-esque spin on it. He was impressive. Enslaved was excellent. I didn't like the mosh pit, though.

One of the bands that opened up for Opeth played a hybrid of death metal and Celtic folk music. It's sounds dumb but it was fantastic. A bagpipe in death metal? Really?

I found that Indian culture, like all cultures, had its good and bad. One of the "good" was the quality of live music and the sound engineering --- best I've ever heard, consistently. The local bands in Chennai were pretty good. All metal, and derivative, but solid musicianship. Weak link was always the singer...

Anyway, fun times. The weed wasn't stellar...but the hash was. Watch out for Kingfisher beer, though. It's malt liquor and rugged. You've never had a hangover until you've had one in 105 F heat and blaring white sunlight.
    For that which is not,
    and for that which is,
    Bhagavad Gita

The true question is... did you attend a Super Kings match?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

http://www.prog-sphere.com/news/opet...ew-album-june/

Swedish progressive metallers OPETH have completed work on their 11th studio album for a tentative June release via Roadrunner Records.

The last OPETH album, 2011′s Heritage, received mixed reactions, with some fans claiming that the group had detached itself from its death metal past and gone for a more experimental approach, changing its sound in various new ways.

Speaking to Loudwire, OPETH guitarist/vocalist Mikael Åkerfeldt stated about the band’s as-yet-untitled new CD: “If it sounds like us, that’s good. And if it sounds like something we don’t know, that’s also good.“

“This album has some parts that sound like us and some parts that sound kind of new too. It’s a bit heavier than Heritage at times and it’s a bit more melodic. I think it should be a bit easier to get into this record because there’s a lot of focus on the melodies.

“We’re a progressive band. Sometimes we sound like a metal band and sometimes we don’t.“
    Opeth

Opeth

Åkerfeldt previously told U.K.’s Metal Hammer magazine about the musical direction of OPETH‘s new album: “[It] is going straight into the territory of ‘all over the place!’ I think that’s our strength, that we can do all these different things. We have a couple of calm songs, a couple of really heavy songs, one proper heavy metal song and I have one epic old-school OPETH song that reminds me of the first two records, with lots of riffs stacked up! I’m really happy with it all. I think we have something big on our hands this time.“

As always, Mikael is not at all bothered about how his band’s new material will be received.

“I can’t say if Heritage haters will love or hate this album,” he told Metal Hammer. “I don’t want to accommodate anyone, Like, ‘Oh, sorry guys! We made a mistake! We’ll make a proper record for you this time so you’re all happy!’ I don’t think along those lines. This isn’t going to be a death metal record. If you know me and what I like, it won’t be such a big surprise. It’s a metal record and a progressive record and something else too. Each song is representative of OPETH. It’s what I want to listen to, so it’s business as usual.”

Åkerfeldt revealed to Decibel magazine in a separate interview that he plans to enrich at least a few of the new OPETH tracks with strings.

“Some of these things could easily be done with synthetic sounds or effects,” he said, “but recording the STORM CORROSION LP with Steven Wilson made me realize what a massive difference it can mean to incorporate the real shit. I’m semi-pretentious in my songwriting and sometimes I go all in. I think it’s time for ‘all in’ with strings and the full monty. Hopefully it won’t be a mess.“

One of the songs that will appear on OPETH‘s forthcoming album was previously described by Åkerfeldt as a “crazy rip-off” of Italian prog outfit GOBLIN, which formed in 1972 and ran for ten years before splitting (the band has since reformed).

“It’s a jam I came up with during the MASTODON/GHOST tour,” he told Decibel, “that we ended up soundchecking. After a few days, you’d hear people in the corridors humming it. It’s a fucking hit! But basically it’s a not-so-subtle headbanging-type nod in GOBLIN‘s direction. And to avoid confusion, the song is even called ‘Goblin’. My rip-off deteriorates mid-song and becomes fusion-esque darkened prog rock like MAHAVISHNU or ELP (yikes!). But it swings! It really does.“

Asked if the forthcoming effort will be heavier or softer than 2011′s Heritage, Mikael told the Swedish newspaper Expressen in September: “Maybe a little bit heavier. Not death metal heavy, but hard rock/heavy metal heavy. There’s also lots of progressive elements and acoustic guitars, but also more sinister-sounding riffs.“

Åkerfeldt also revealed that he was going to produce the new OPETH album himself, explaining: “I love the way DIO‘s Holy Diver sounds, this early-’80s sound where you can still hear the ’70s, but the production is heavier. Right now I’m into having a similar production that isn’t retro but it still sounds like real instruments and it’s heavier than Heritage.“

Heritage sold 19,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 19 on The Billboard 200 chart. The band’s previous studio CD, 2008′s Watershed, opened with more than 19,000 units to land at No. 23.