Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Baker Street Muse" underrated epic?

Quote Originally Posted by cupwonder View Post
    Totally agree. Minstrel is probably their most underrated album, and BSM is brilliant. Very sharp social commentary here.
    Thank you, Julie, for putting into words what I've been trying to figure out how to. I didn't like the song all that much at its release but some moons afterwards I realized that he was singing 'bout events that were transpiring in England at the time of writing and then the song made all the sense in the world. At least in Ian's world......since his world to a certain degree was different than the world of the USA that I have inhabited since my birth....

Peace,
    Alex

I love how Baker Street Muse ends with Ian's "I can't get out!!" as if he has been locked into the studio or something.

Oddly enough, even though I was familiar with some of their more popular tunes via radio, it was Minstrel In The Gallery that really caught my ear and started me off on what has now been three+ decades of slowly unfolding Tull discovery/fetishism. I loved that whole album, particularly the title track and "Black Satin Dancer" as well as BSM, but it's been a while since I've played it. Add it to the pile of stuff that needs a re-visit!

Minstrel is my favorite Tull album, bar none. I'm not familiar with Roy Harper, but based on the comments here, it sounds like I have some exploration to do (as I LOVE "One White Duck").

Great album, great song. Minstrel is easily one of the most underrated Tull albums in my opinion. I listen to it way more than Warchild or Too Old To Rock & Roll.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthNY Mark View Post
    Minstrel is my favorite Tull album, bar none. I'm not familiar with Roy Harper, but based on the comments here, it sounds like I have some exploration to do (as I LOVE "One White Duck").
    Start with any of these albums:

Stormcock
    Flat Baroque and Berserk
    Facemask
    Folkjokeopus

I was just listening to "Scenario" from the Chateau d'Isaster tapes and thinking how totally Roy Harper that track is, lyrically, musically, and even in the style of the acoustic guitar playing. Harper was a huge influence on Ian.

PiscesPraematurus PiscesPraematurus's Avatar
    Minstrel is my favorite Tull album and "Muse" is mighty!

PiscesPraematurus PiscesPraematurus's Avatar
    You won't be disappointed...

Quote Originally Posted by NorthNY Mark View Post

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I've spun this a few times since this thread went up.

I love this music.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I'm a fan of Minstrel since the day I first heard it, in 1975. For me it was a revelation - after a theatrical War Child.
    Baker St. Muse is a masterpiece from the beginning to the end. Their last epic, and truly great.

It's my favourite Tull album too. I think 1975 was the best year for Prog. I know 1971-3 is considered the golden period with Aqualung, Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play but with War Child being moreorless the aborted '73 album in different clothing Minstrel for me seems to be the perfection of the sound and one they have become known for since. Baker Street Muse reminds me of The Canterbury Tales which I did in its modern version many years ago. It's like a sprawling travelogue; a bit of a potted My God if you will

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    I think 1975 was the best year for Prog. I know 1971-3 is considered the golden period with Aqualung, Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play but with War Child being moreorless the aborted '73 album in different clothing Minstrel for me seems to be the perfection of the sound and one they have become known for since. Baker Street Muse reminds me of The Canterbury Tales which I did in its modern version many years ago. It's like a sprawling travelogue; a bit of a potted My God if you will
    I agree on perfection of the sound - arguably their best sounding album, along with Songs From The Wood.
    It's an interesting opinion, about 1975 being the best time for prog...

I never tire of it. It is challenging, yet not beyond simple enjoyment. I love the lyrics so much.

I love the "pig-me and the whore" section, hammond's bass playing is electrifying to me during that section (and elsewhere on the album.)
    American Hollow - my prog band.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    It's an interesting opinion, about 1975 being the best time for prog...
    Wish You Were Here, Lamb Lies Down tour, Yes solo projects, I Believe In Father Christmas, Warrior At The Edge Of Time, Fly By Night, Blue Jays, The Snow Goose, Fripp/Eno, The Rotters Club etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    Wish You Were Here, Lamb Lies Down tour, Yes solo projects, I Believe In Father Christmas, Warrior At The Edge Of Time, Fly By Night, Blue Jays, The Snow Goose, Fripp/Eno, The Rotters Club etc.
    Let's expand it to our traditional top 20 format, to see if this year was really an outstanding time for prog.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Let's expand it to our traditional top 20 format, to see if this year was really an outstanding time for prog.
    I thought the 1971 and 1972 lists were pretty average compared to 1975 and they were kept to a Top 10.

Wish You Were Here is better than Dark Side, Obscured By Clouds and Meddle and The Snow Goose generally accepted as Camel's key release.