Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Wilson remixing Gentle Giant

Steve Wilson remixing Gentle Giant

"Steve Wilson remixing "The Power & The Glory". DVD & Blu-Ray disc with each song animated showing the concept behind the album.
    Out in March 2014!"

from GG Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Dedatolo View Post
    "Steve Wilson remixing "The Power & The Glory". DVD & Blu-Ray disc with each song animated showing the concept behind the album.
    Out in March 2014!"

from GG Facebook page
    This would not have been my first choice. I still think this is good news.

Out in March 2014!"

from GG Facebook page
    Oh my!

My first GG album. I had it on 8-trak and was blown away for 3 weeks I could not stop listening to it that long. Perfect place to start.

Good news but i hope it dosnt delay the next Yes release?

I had a newpaper route when I was a kid....And I became friends with the guy who ran the local record shop... My older brother turned me onto bands like Yes and Genesis, and the guy at the record shop loved the british bands, so I began my music education in a big way. I remember distinctly the albums I bought during this time, spent almost every dime of my money on music back then. Peeling the plastic wrap and dropping the needle on records like Quadrophenia, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Fish out of Water, The Power and the Glory, Stand Up, and all kinds of albums I discovered in the mid 70's like "Death Walks Behind You" "Close to the Edge", anyway I feel quite lucky to have lived in that time and heard this music and began my arguments with my friends who were the typical mainstream, Freebird...... Or Smoke On The Water fans and everything else was "sissy" music...!

How interesting to hear this music now enhanced with the modern technology. I will buy one of these to listen too and I hope its everything I expect it will be. This era for all rock & roll music was something for the history books, for prog it was a defining time. The likes of which have not been seen again and I suppose never really can be.
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

My favourite from this band. I'm going to be checking out Steve's Yes remix, and if I like it, I'll certainly go for this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    On the opposite side, I really hope he forgets about EVERYTHING else to do all GG albums :-)

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Very excited about this.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    There's quite some time between Steve mixing and the labels releasing the stuff. So I guess he finished mixing the Yes albums months ago, maybe even more than a year ago.

My first album by them. Still one of the favorites.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    My first GG album too! Looking forward to it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Oh shit, this could mean i might have to replace my Capitol CD of TPaTG that i ordered while as a member of the Columbia House record club for a few years back sometime in the 80's. (the only disc i still possess from those misbegotten times)
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    Oh shit, this could mean i might have to replace my Capitol CD of TPaTG that i ordered while as a member of the Columbia House record club for a few years back sometime in the 80's. (the only disc i still possess from those misbegotten times)
    You worked the system too? I came away with so many box sets (before they figured out that angle)...

"1974's The Power and the Glory has received sparkling remaster treatment from Derek Shulman's DRT Entertainment. With crisp, powerful sound, this new reissue is a must have for the Gentle Giant fan who is looking to replace their old CD version, and for the new fan, to hear this legendary prog rock band the way they should be heard. "
    The Power and the Glory [35th Anniversary Edition]
    So is yet another remastering necessary? That one was done in 2005 if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    "1974's The Power and the Glory has received sparkling remaster treatment from Derek Shulman's DRT Entertainment. With crisp, powerful sound, this new reissue is a must have for the Gentle Giant fan who is looking to replace their old CD version, and for the new fan, to hear this legendary prog rock band the way they should be heard. "
    So is yet another remastering necessary? That one was done in 2005 if I recall correctly.
    Its not a remaster, its a remix
    Like the new version of Yes Close To The Edge.
    I dont think Wilson ever remastered something by others!

Could he do "Civilian" next?

*blinks*

Why are you looking at me like that?

Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    And later on Alucard remasters came out.

BTW, The Power & The Glory was recorded very good, better than any of their previous albums.
    Afraid that new remaster would sound as dry, as ELP's. Though I never heard Wilson's latest remasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Progressive View Post

How interesting to hear this music now enhanced with the modern technology. I will buy one of these to listen too and I hope its everything I expect it will be. This era for all rock & roll music was something for the history books, for prog it was a defining time. The likes of which have not been seen again and I suppose never really can be.
    SW takes a lot of care and consideration in his remixes, and as a long as you approach these with an open mind you'll enjoy them. Bear in mind that these are remixes, not remasters, so the music will sound slightly different to how you originally remember it.

For my own experience, I've enjoyed each of his remixes, whether it be ELP, Yes, Tull, Hawkwind or King Crimson -it's been like revisiting old friends, with all the familiar melodies and dynamics, and then being gently surprised by hearing new things that were always there in the original tapes but which were buried as a result of the limited technology of the time.

It doesn't take anything away from the original mixes as they're still available, but for me SW's remixes encourage me to revisit old albums long neglected through over familiarity, and now hear them in a way that sounds fresh and vital again.

For me, it's all about the surround-mixes, when SW does stuff like that. And I hope/guess he will do it better than the relatively lifeless original surround mixes of Interview and Free Hand that got released a couple of years ago.
    I'm in for it, for sure!

On the opposite side, I really hope he forgets about EVERYTHING else to do all GG albums :-)
    On the opposite, opposite side, I hope he stops remixing classic 70s prog albums to make them sound more like Porcupine Tree altogether.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    SW takes a lot of care and consideration in his remixes, and as a long as you approach these with an open mind you'll enjoy them. Bear in mind that these are remixes, not remasters, so the music will sound slightly different to how you originally remember it.

For my own experience, I've enjoyed each of his remixes, whether it be ELP, Yes, Tull, Hawkwind or King Crimson -it's been like revisiting old friends, with all the familiar melodies and dynamics, and then being gently surprised by hearing new things that were always there in the original tapes but which were buried as a result of the limited technology of the time.

It doesn't take anything away from the original mixes as they're still available, but for me SW's remixes encourage me to revisit old albums long neglected through over familiarity, and now hear them in a way that sounds fresh and vital again.
    ^This!!!!

But you can only do so much with the tracks as recorded. Why doesn't he just remake them? He could hire Transatlantic.

What did the bandmembers think: http://dangerousminds.net/comments/t...f_gentle_giant

I just had in on LP even though its one of my favorites (rubbish - they alle are execpt the two last), so I bought this version but can only enjoy the stereoversion (dont have 5.1).
    I an not overwhelmed with heavenly joy or fainting in coils. Its fine, other details attracts my attention, its a bit 'dry' (especially the bass & drums), explicit, but somehow the instruments dont blend as well... less musical perhaps.
    The music is just made for 5.1 if any music ever was (I enjoyed it in ambiophonics when younger) , so I would guess, that this is the obvious reason you should buy this version.