Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Featured CD - Grobschnitt : Rockpommel's Land

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    It was recorded just not released in full. But there is a EP of the opening song (Symphony of Light) and the closing song (Beyond) from this concert.
    I saw that, but I would love to have a complete version and not just an EP.

Don't like it quite as much as I used to. But still like it quite a bit.

The concept, lyrics, music and album cover of this are meant as tongue-in-cheek, poking fun at prog. But done from a band that still respects the genre.

The lyrics especially are purposely silly.

At least that's my take.

Oh, and of course, since it was produced by Cony Plank, it is an amazing recording.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    It's not just the subject matter, but the delivery/execution. The right execution and delivery can often redeem otherwise unappealing writing/subject matter. I do not think it is at all inconsistent or subject for amusement that somone could dislike a song concerning one fantastical subject matter but like another, due to the vastly different ways that the respective songs could be constructed and executed.
    True - there are people who don't like Gong because they think the "subject matter" is too silly or weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    How is the sound quality of those Silver Mint discs? Are they soundboards?
    Great sound on all of them. Mastered by Eroc you will dig them. The Silver Mint Series will go 56 CD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    It's not just the subject matter, but the delivery/execution. The right execution and delivery can often redeem otherwise unappealing writing/subject matter. I do not think it is at all inconsistent or subject for amusement that somone could dislike a song concerning one fantastical subject matter but like another, due to the vastly different ways that the respective songs could be constructed and executed.
    Sorry Facelift but if it slightly amuses me then it amuses me - you sound like you need a beer to chill out old fellow!
    I do actually understand the point you made but the "or subject for amusement" sounds a tad dramatic.
    Last edited by snowsnow; 11-26-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by old school View Post
    The whole Grobschnitt catalog is being remastered one more time by Eroc with bonus material. Coming out Jan. 2014.
    This is excellent news, I have yet to hear Merry-Go-Round and Illegal, which I would pick up right away. As far as Rockpommel's Land, it is a great album, but I like Jumbo just a tad better, especially the German language version.

Has there been any explanation why Eroc is remastering them again? The last time wasn't that long ago.

I found on the Hoffman forums where Eroc posts this:

Sorry to say, man - Universal will not be in time for Christmas with the releases. The project will be scheduled for Match or April next year. The good thing: now we've good much more time for carefully reviewing and correcting the artwork, which may take us days and weeks, because it's such a pile of work. Imagine: we sent nearly 1.000 fully "remastered" photos and newspaper-clippings over to them for use in the booklets and the box. And that only was the essence.

Another startling news especially for all those mastering and remastering nuts here in the forum: also next year we're scheduling a re-release of Solar Music Live, our signpiece-album from 1978. It will be available on Blue Ray Audio then. And the sensation - it will come in three (!) versions on this medium:

1. The original mix taken 1:1 from the original analog master-tape out of Conny Plank's Studio from 1978.
    2. A new remastered version from 2013, as it appears also on the CD release by Universal in spring.
    3. A digital remix from the original multitrack-tapes which I have to finish the upcoming weeks.

All of course in best quality in 24/192. So c'mon all you soundhogs here!!! This will be one of THE greatest releases in 2014...
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-26-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrick View Post
    This is excellent news, I have yet to hear Merry-Go-Round and Illegal, which I would pick up right away. As far as Rockpommel's Land, it is a great album, but I like Jumbo just a tad better, especially the German language version.
    Merry-Go-Round, while not as good as either Jumbo or RL, is still better than it has any right to be. I’ve only heard a little of Illegal. It’s very synth-y. And the title track, at least, is deeply, deeply weird.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"You can take the war out of the soldier, but you can't raise that soldier from the dead."
    --Shona Laing

N.P.:“Bolero”-Heldon/Stand By

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Has there been any explanation why Eroc is remastering them again? The last time wasn't that long ago.

I found on the Hoffman forums where Eroc posts this:

Sorry to say, man - Universal will not be in time for Christmas with the releases. The project will be scheduled for Match or April next year. The good thing: now we've good much more time for carefully reviewing and correcting the artwork, which may take us days and weeks, because it's such a pile of work. Imagine: we sent nearly 1.000 fully "remastered" photos and newspaper-clippings over to them for use in the booklets and the box. And that only was the essence.

Another startling news especially for all those mastering and remastering nuts here in the forum: also next year we're scheduling a re-release of Solar Music Live, our signpiece-album from 1978. It will be available on Blue Ray Audio then. And the sensation - it will come in three (!) versions on this medium:

1. The original mix taken 1:1 from the original analog master-tape out of Conny Plank's Studio from 1978.
    2. A new remastered version from 2013, as it appears also on the CD release by Universal in spring.
    3. A digital remix from the original multitrack-tapes which I have to finish the upcoming weeks.

All of course in best quality in 24/192. So c'mon all you soundhogs here!!! This will be one of THE greatest releases in 2014...
    Eroc remastered five titles only on SPV Rockpommels Land, Ballerman, Jumbo, Solar Music, and Illegal. And then the company went bankrupt and the project ended. So if you bought any of those titles on SPV they are one of a kind. Now Universal gave Eroc the green light to do the whole project over again all 14 albums. Like I said those SPV remasters are unique and could be collectors items being the only five titles in the world left before the company went kaput.

Good music, bad lyrics. Have this and Jumbo, used to have the first album. The singer is more of a Uriah Heep type, which I find annoying. I have Eroc's first 2 solo albums, which have a lot of great tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by old school View Post
    Eroc remastered five titles only on SPV Rockpommels Land, Ballerman, Jumbo, Solar Music, and Illegal. And then the company went bankrupt and the project ended. So if you bought any of those titles on SPV they are one of a kind. Now Universal gave Eroc the green light to do the whole project over again all 14 albums. Like I said those SPV remasters are unique and could be collectors items being the only five titles in the world left before the company went kaput.
    Can't they just reissue the same remasters? (Silly question, I know.)

I have the Repertoire remasters, which are pretty good.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I snapped up some of those SPV titles - SML sounds great to my ears.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Can't they just reissue the same remasters? (Silly question, I know.)

I have the Repertoire remasters, which are pretty good.
    The Repertoire remasters are good I have them also but the 5 SPV are better. And the new deluxe editions from Universal which come out in Spring of 2014 are the definitive versions Eroc said so we will see?

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I snapped up some of those SPV titles - SML sounds great to my ears.
    Sounds killer to me also. Eroc said the new ones from Universal will be deluxe versions with extra tracks and 24/192 so we will have to see?

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Good music, bad lyrics. Have this and Jumbo, used to have the first album. The singer is more of a Uriah Heep type, which I find annoying. I have Eroc's first 2 solo albums, which have a lot of great tracks.
    The lead singer, Willi Wildschein, is excellent. He sings in English with only a slight accent, and is nothing at all like any Uriah Heep singer, except perhaps John Lawton. The "funny voices" which appear on many of the albums, are by Eroc, and I admit those are a taste many may not be willing or able to acquire.

This thread reminded me to dig out the Rockpalast / Dortmund 78 DVD this morning

Easier said than done, (the fucker was hiding in the last stack I looked in), but well worth the effort

Solar Music is the shit

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    This thread reminded me to dig out the Rockpalast / Dortmund 78 DVD this morning

Easier said than done, (the fucker was hiding in the last stack I looked in), but well worth the effort

Solar Music is the shit

BG
    I have a boot of this. Did it ever get an official release?

Solar Music is the shit, indeed.

Love that it also has "The Excursion of Father Smith" on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I have a boot of this. Did it ever get an official release?
    I don't think it has, unfortunately

What I have is watchable, but far from perfect

Rocking the mighty Eroc's tonight - playing a killer Rockpommels Land from Wuppertal 1979

The spoken intros can be painful, but the music is flat out great symph-prog

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

^^^^

Grobschnitt was one of the first non-English or American "prog" bands that I got into. I picked up the orginal vinyl of everything from the the first through Merry-Go-Round back in the early '80s.

Jumbo is my favorite, which I'm playing right now.

Jumbo and rockpommel are fine albums. I quite like his voice. Ballerman is cool too

The next time I go for a job interview, I want to just use the name "Mist." Wish me luck...

The next time I go for a job interview, I want to just use the name "Mist." Wish me luck...
    In German Mist means dung or manure by the way

He probably knew that...

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    He probably knew that...
    Actually, I didn't know that. LOL! I guess I'm NOT going to use that name.

Damn, I thought it just meant what it means in English, which was cool in a doofy, "I have a rock nickname" kind of way.

I'll bet they don't sell a lot of this in Germany:

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    He probably knew that...
    He almost certainly knew that. Wolfgang Jäger, their bassist at the time, sometimes was nicknamed “Popo” (which means “butt”).

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Lady Fantasy”-Camel/Mirage