Thread: Roger Hodgson solo

Roger Hodgson solo

Do they differ & how do his solo albums compare with Supertramp?

The first album, In The Eye of the Storm, is very similar to Roger's songs with Supertramp. Which is a very good and recommended. The other two are rather disappointingly pop.

Quote Originally Posted by thx5150 View Post
    The first album, In The Eye of the Storm, is very similar to Roger's songs with Supertramp. Which is a very good and recommended. The other two are rather disappointingly pop.
    if you are referring to “hai hai” (1987) and “rites of passage” (1997) i take it that you have never heard “open the door” (2000), which is a very fine and varied album indeed.

“open the door”

“the more i look” (w./ trevor rabin)

“death and a zoo” (my favourite)

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Open The Door is excellent, though it is impossible to buy.

You can order it through Roger Hodgson's website.

http://www.rogerhodgsonstore.com/pro...-the-Door.html

FANTASTIC album. I enjoy it more than most Supertramp albums. If you're interested, look up some YouTube clips for "Along Came Mary," "The More I Look," and "Hungry." I love everything on the album, but those are my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Do they differ & how do his solo albums compare with Supertramp?
    Eye has a few interesting songs, Rites does as well (notably the surprising collab with terry riley), but overall the other two (Haļ and Door) arte of much lesser interest, IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by thx5150 View Post
    If you read my review of Storm and Brother in ProgArchives, I think I've touched obnto something.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I got my first 'Tramp album in 1976, and absolutely fell in love with them, a passion which remains to this day, certainly with the albums until Famous Last Words. Although Hodgson & Davies wrote mainly separately, the pair of them had a frisson which created a great band, and the band after Hodgson left was certainly nothing in comparison.

Strangely, I have completely neglected Hodgson's solo work. Why I do not know. This to the extent that the three excellent tracks above have been listened to for the first time.

Well, I will definitely be getting Open The Door. Those tracks are superb, and put me right back in a 'Tramp mood.

1984- In The Eye Of The Storm: great album! strong songs and great sound.
    1987- Hai Hai: shorter (techno 80's pop) songs. good sound with a few good songs.
    1997- Rites Of Passage: a live album, with 5 great new songs. good performance of Give A Little Bit & The Logical Song. but taken down a few notches because of 2 songs penned by his guitarist. and a very morbid piano track by his son.
    2000- Open Your Eyes: a great return to his roots.
    he has another live album thru with website.

i have his Take The Long Way Home Live In Montreal DVD and it's great.