Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Phillips thread

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does Phillips actually play guitar on Slow Dance? It doesn't look like it from the back of the cd case.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    http://anthonyphillips.co.uk/discography/slowdance.htm
    Anthony Phillips: Emax (I), Jupiter 8, Casio CZ5000, Roland 808, Tom Drum Machine, Alvarez 12-String, Fender Stratocaster, Yari Classical Guitar, Ovation 6 String, Gretsch Fetless Bass, Yamaha QX5 Sequencer.

It's a shame about the awful narration/voices in Battle Of The Birds. It remains the one unlistenable album in Ant's catalogue, for me.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Isn't Battle of the Birds just the music from Gypsy Suite with a bunch of Gilli Smythe's nonsense overdubbed onto it? I never picked it up because it has supposed to contain no unique AP material.

http://anthonyphillips.co.uk/archives/site/narc02.htm
    News Archive: 2002
    Recording starts for Private Parts & Pieces XI

"Ant has started work on recording the guitar-based material he has been writing recently. The end results should make up the eleventh volume in the Private Parts & Pieces series."

This wasn't released until 10 years later.

Edit: Since City of Dreams is a keyboard album, I'm going to guess that the original PP&P XI became Field Day.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 01-09-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It's a shame about the awful narration/voices in Battle Of The Birds. It remains the one unlistenable album in Ant's catalogue, for me.
    Yeah, at least there are the three instrumental tracks at the end, which are really nice. Unfortunately, some of the best moments on the album musically, have the story going on over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    http://anthonyphillips.co.uk/archives/site/narc02.htm
    News Archive: 2002
    Recording starts for Private Parts & Pieces XI

"Ant has started work on recording the guitar-based material he has been writing recently. The end results should make up the eleventh volume in the Private Parts & Pieces series."

This wasn't released until 10 years later.

Edit: Since City of Dreams is a keyboard album, I'm going to guess that the original PP&P XI became Field Day.
    Yes I think you're right. I think the only reason he didn't release it as a PP&P album is that it was a double, otherwise it fits the bill for the PP series.

I'd really like to see him work with a drummer and bassist next time 'round, and get some exciting group instrumental music, with a lot of chords and melody variation, such as some of his work with Andy McCullough and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA)
    Since City of Dreams is a keyboard album, I'm going to guess that the original PP&P XI became Field Day.
    Just popped City Of Dreams in again after seeing it mentioned. I really like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I'd really like to see him work with a drummer and bassist next time 'round, and get some exciting group instrumental music, with a lot of chords and melody variation
    I agree!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Isn't Battle of the Birds just the music from Gypsy Suite with a bunch of Gilli Smythe's nonsense overdubbed onto it? I never picked it up because it has supposed to contain no unique AP material.
    I have the original cassette version of this - which is different (better) than the CD version which only emerged many years later. I don't have either to hand right now - but I did always enjoy the original (which is the only one I ever turned to). I can't remember the difference now.

If I like Geese, Wise, and Sides which should I try next?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Private Parts And Pieces I and/or II.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    New England (private parts 8), or Back To The Pavilion (private parts 2)-for Scottish Suite alone.

^CTTOI I have one of those too. Will try the other one.

Originally Posted by JKL2000

Private Parts And Pieces I and/or II.
    Or Back To The Pavilion.

'Back To The Pavillion' *is* 'Private Parts and Pieces II'! I'd recommend the first one if only for 'Treganna Afternoons' which is a gorgeous, enchanting piece of music.

I remember buying 6/7 AP albums on vinyl a few years ago for £1 a go, one of the best finds I had. They are almost all US imports. Prior to that all I had was the expanded 'Geese...' and 'Anthology'.

I know that BTTP is part 2, cause I have it) Tregenna Afternoons track is great. I've been twice in lovely St.Ives, staying in a Porthminster Hotel on Tregenna Hill, a beautiful, enchanted place. Never stayed in Tregenna Castle Hotel however.

Pavilion fans will want to get their hands on the 2nd Archive set, containing Scottish Suite II.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'Back To The Pavillion' *is* 'Private Parts and Pieces II'! I'd recommend the first one if only for 'Treganna Afternoons' which is a gorgeous, enchanting piece of music..
    I do agree Tregenna Afternoons is a nice piece, but for me it's Reaper that makes that disc a must hear.

I also like the fourth one, A Catch At The Tables, quite a bit. Arboretum Suite and Sistine are my favorites there.

Yes, "Reaper" is beautiful and I really like A Catch At The Tables too.

Pavilion fans will want to get their hands on the 2nd Archive set, containing Scottish Suite II.
    Is this on Archives Vol 2....didn't see it on the tracklisting

Archives Vol 2 looks rather interesting....any thoughts

http://anthonyphillips.co.uk/

The Meadows Of Englewood has been reissued as a 2-disc 15th anniversary edition.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Is this on Archives Vol 2....didn't see it on the tracklisting
    Tracks 8-15, and track 7 makes a nice intro.

I've just ordered this from amazon UK (better price there than the N.American marketplace vendors). Can't wait to dig in! I had never paid this collection much attention, foolishly assuming it was mostly stuff I already had, but having just read up on it, it looks to be an essential release for a fan like me.

http://anthonyphillips.co.uk/

The Meadows Of Englewood has been reissued as a 2-disc 15th anniversary edition.
    I really want this too, but it's a little pricey IMO. I'll probably just go ahead and order it one night after a few drinks or something.

I really like it. Its a 2-disc set, and has about 1 disc of really good stuff. I'm never much interested in instrumental versions of vocal tracks, and there are a few of those thrown in.