Thread: Judas Priest - Nostradamus

Judas Priest - Nostradamus

I'm a fan of 70s Priest but never paid much attention to most of what came after (too much to listen to all the time), apart from the well known tracks I'd see in videos or the like. However I was intrigued recently by a couple of tracks I heard from their Nostradamus concept album from a few years back. I remember hearing about it at the time but it slipped by me... well I recently saw it for 8 bucks and picked it up, and I'm quite impressed by it actually! Not only are Halford's pipes still strong, there are plenty of great riffs and solos throughout, and I like the addition of keys here and there... they give the band a slightly different sound. An enjoyable listen, especially considering the length! The subject matter is a good choice for them to stretch out into their own version of a proggy concept album.

I haven't checked out anything else from the "Return Of Halford" period (or indeed the several albums before that), this one is probably enough for the time being. I have SO much prog to get to all the time that I don't make the same time for metal as I used to, but I was in the mood. I get the feeling the band put a lot of work into this one, and it shows. It's no Sad Wings Of Destiny (what is?), but for a modern JP album 30+ years on, it's actually quite good. Any other fans here?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Its a shame it was slammed by their hard core fans as they planned to base a full tour around the concept .
    I thought it was a very good album !

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Its a shame it was slammed by their hard core fans as they planned to base a full tour around the concept .
    Yes, that is a shame. I don't know much about any of that, I just know that apart from one or two tracks I really like this album a lot. How does Angel Of Retribution fare?

Interesting to note that the artwork was done by Mark Wilkinson of Marillion/Fish album cover fame!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I've liked Nostradamus since I first heard it. Thanks for the reminder to get it out and play it again.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yes, that is a shame. I don't know much about any of that, I just know that apart from one or two tracks I really like this album a lot. How does Angel Of Retribution fare?
    !

I thought "Angel" was a fine return to form and well worth owning.

Steve Sly

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Interesting to note that the artwork was done by Mark Wilkinson of Marillion/Fish album cover fame!
    He also did the artwork for Painkiller.