Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who have you seen live most often?

Peter Hammill/VDGG: 40+ times.

I have seen John McLaughlin, in various iterations, 6 times. I suppose working on concert sets would not count. For example, working on Showcase Jazz at Mich State years ago, we would do Sam Rivers Trio, 2 sets a night for 3 nights, so I could say I saw him 6 times. Same for Gary Burton's band.

John McLaughlin- 6 times
    Chick Corea- 4 times
    Pink Floyd- 3 times
    MC5- too many to remember (well, more than 3)
    Jimi Hendrix- 3 times
    Soft Machine- 3 times
    Sun Ra- 3 times
    Magma- only once, dammit!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

As far as "known" rock/prog groups, I've seen some over the years, but usually one off's.Crimson twice(Central Park-'74 and Nokia-NYC;Fripp-Soundscapes-WFC-NYC).

I saw my old departed friend's band Alien Planetscapes dozens of times over the years, at a variety of seedy bars, clubs and hip venues around the NYC area.I saw lots of jazz and new jazz in NYC, starting in the mid-70's.Those I recall seeing more than once or twice:

Steve Lacy-5 times-solo(2 times), duo,trio,quartet
    Oliver Lake Quartet-probably 6 or 7 times(?)-(Lake-sax and flute,Fred Hopkins-bass-Michael Gregory Jackson-guitar-Paul Maddox a/k/a Pheeroan Aklaff-drums)Oliver Lake-solo-1 time
    Julius Hemphill-probably 7 or 8 times(?)-solo, duo with cellist Abdul Wadud(4 times(?))trio, quartet,sextet
    Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre-probably 6 times(?)-solo,trio,quartet
    David Murray-7 or 8 times(?)-solo,trio,quartet,quintet, big band
    Sam Rivers-6 or 7 times(?)-solo,duo, trio, quartet, big band
    Sun Ra-5 or 6 times(?)
    Walt Dickerson-4 times
    Frank Hewitt-7 or 8 times-trio
    Mary Lou Williams-6 times(?)-solo, duo, trio
    Ronald Shannon Jackson and the Decoding Society-perhaps 5 times
    ..etc......
    Last edited by walt; 10-22-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Oh man, how could I forget; when I worked as a busboy at the Marriott in Providence in 1976, I saw the Angels (yup, the early 60s girl group) twice a night for two weeks in a row in the hotel's lounge connected to the restaurant. Taking one night off a week, that means I saw them 24 times, and in those 24 times they sang "My Boyfriend's Back" 48 times. Aaaauuuuuugggghhh!
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Whoa...

To quote Groucho Marx, "I love pancakes, but I haven't got closets full of them..."
    Sometimes I wonder why I did it.....youth was part of it.

Marillion 38
    Magnum 30 ish
    Springsteen probably next 15

I don't go to nearly as many concerts as some of you and I don't have that kind of memory capacity either. But I've seen two of my favorite guitar players, Allan Holdsworth and Scott Henderson at least a half dozen times a piece.

It amazes me that people know exactly how many times they've seen a band, if it's more
    than three or four times.

Wonder what happens if you see District 97 97 times?
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    They change their name to District 98?

The Who, Yes, Genesis, Tull, Zappa, Elvis Costello- Each about a dozen times
    King Crimson, Stones, Faces, ELP, Jeff Beck, Aerosmith, Mahavishnu, Kinks- About a half dozen each

You have to move to another district.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    It amazes me that people know exactly how many times they've seen a band, if it's more
    than three or four times.
    I used to be able to remember stuff like that when I thought it was important, but not anymore, and not that it mattered. I never made a mission of seeing a certain band everytime they came around, and I sure wasn't gonna follow them to where they were going. I was more about seeing as many different bands as I could. I saw the Grateful Dead once. That was enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    I used to be able to remember stuff like that when I thought it was important, but not anymore, and not that it mattered. I never made a mission of seeing a certain band everytime they came around, and I sure wasn't gonna follow them to where they were going. I was more about seeing as many different bands as I could. I saw the Grateful Dead once. That was enough.
    I use Songkick to find shows and the site also records past shows, so for recent concerts I can look up exactly what I've attending. For shows back in the day I have to rely on a very "foggy" memory.

www.songkick.com
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

A corndog show is like a state fair concert, or a concert at a sporting event or an amusement park. You know, like when a band is long past their prime they play the corndog and elephant ears circuit. .

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I use Songkick to find shows and the site also records past shows, so for recent concerts I can look up exactly what I've attending. For shows back in the day I have to rely on a very "foggy" memory.

www.songkick.com
    Eric, I don't get what "foggy" memory implies. Forgetful in the past, maybe!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

A local San Diego band called Horsefeathers, who only released one single. 40+ times

I forgot to include Jeff Beck - 3 times.
    Once with Beck Bogert Appice
    Once on the Blow By Blow tour
    and once with Jason, Vinnie and Pino Palladino in 06 shortly before Tal joined....

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Same here. '68, '69, '72 (BB&A).
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, many, many times. At least a dozen, and possibly two dozen. Also Idiot Flesh - the band that turned into SGM - quite a few times. And Free Salamander Exhibit, the band that SGM have now become.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Once on the Blow By Blow tour
    and once with Jason, Vinnie and Pino Palladino in 06 shortly before Tal joined....
    I saw Jeff Beck four times. First time was in 89, with the Guitar Shop trio, essentially opening for Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble.

Then I saw Jeff again about 10 years later, at Nautica Stage, a nice outdoor venue. That was when he had the band with Jennifer Batten on second guitar. He had one of those teen blues guitar "prodigies" Jonny Lang opening for him, and I remember the girls in front of me started squealing like wild pigs when they spotted Jonny stepping forward in the wings, just before it was time for his set to start.

Then I saw the same band a year or two later, playing at the Lakewood Civic Auditorium out in Lakewood, Ohio. Turns out it was actually the auditorium at Lakewood High School!

Then the next time I saw Jeff was a couple years after that, in 2004, I think, he actually did a show with BB King. As I recall, it was the "BB King Blues & Rock Festival" or something like that, and it was one of those touring deals, where they had like four or five "not bad but not particularly great either" bands opening, then Jeff came on, I believe with the Guitar Shop trio again (I'm sure he had Tony Hymas on keyboards, no bassist, and I think Terry Bozzio was on drums). Then BB King came on and showed us "how it's done".

Rush, Goddo, Max Webster as bar bands in the 70's. Dozens of times.

Recently Druckfarben, lost count, and The Musical Box 9 times.

DtB

It must be Def Leppard for the simple fact they were the regular Saturday night band at the local night club. This was obviously pre-fame but have also seen them on a few occasions since .

Rush at least 25 times
    Never have gotten sick of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I have seen John McLaughlin, in various iterations, 6 times. I suppose working on concert sets would not count. For example, working on Showcase Jazz at Mich State years ago, we would do Sam Rivers Trio, 2 sets a night for 3 nights, so I could say I saw him 6 times. Same for Gary Burton's band.

John McLaughlin- 6 times
    Chick Corea- 4 times
    Pink Floyd- 3 times
    MC5- too many to remember (well, more than 3)
    Jimi Hendrix- 3 times
    Soft Machine- 3 times
    Sun Ra- 3 times
    Magma- only once, dammit!
    ...Sure wish I could trade you a Hendrix a Soft Machine and a Sun Ra for the three times I saw Magma. Hell if I had two wishes, why not just have a time machine and be Steve F.