Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long lost Led Zep tracks found !

Long lost Led Zep tracks found !

Home > News > Quarter-inch spools hiding Zep treasure
    Quarter-inch spools hiding Zep treasure
    Comments 22 gbarton at 11:15am October 17 2013 Lost boys: Plant and Page in 2007
    Robert Plant has found some long-lost Led Zeppelin recordings – including two tracks with John Paul Jones singing lead – and he jokes he faces a fight with Jimmy Page to get them on to the forthcoming Zepplin box sets.

New quotes from Plant have emerged offering the exciting information about the much-anticipated release after he stumbled across some old spools.

Percy says: “I found some quarter-inch spools recently, and I had a meeting with Jimmy, and we backed them up and listened to them, and there’s some very, very interesting bits and pieces that probably will turn up on these things.

“I’m desperately trying to get this one track – or the two tracks of John Paul Jones singing lead. And so far he’s up to giving me two cars and a greenhouse not to get them on the album. Oh, John, wherever you are… you can’t wait to hear yourself singing all over the world! La la la la la la la…”

Wait! "Forthcoming Led Zeppelin boxsets"?! Isn't there like already something a dozen of those already released (not counting bootlegs)? They may as well just call it Yet Another Big Rip Off.

It's called "milking the dead horse" -- or "how to attach a permanent suction to the pocket of the fanboys." Also -- coincidentally -- without spending a red cent.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    It's called "milking the dead horse" -- or "how to attach a permanent suction to the pocket of the fanboys." Also -- coincidentally -- without spending a red cent.
    I think Roger Waters called it "Riding the gravy train".

Supposedly Page is working on a vinyl box. Maybe that's what Plant is referring to.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

There was talk of a big reissue campaign. To be fair I don't believe Led Zeppelin have 'milked' anyone, the previous remasters were 20 years ago. Doesn't mean I'm interested, but still, there are some bands who seem to reissue their catalogue with something 'unreleased' every other month.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    There was talk of a big reissue campaign. To be fair I don't believe Led Zeppelin have 'milked' anyone, the previous remasters were 20 years ago. Doesn't mean I'm interested, but still.
    Will wait & see what the extras are before purchase . Of the expanded CD 's I own I don't think I've played the extras more than once . The only demo I've ever heard that i prefer over the released version was Genesis's Watcher of the Sky's that appeared on the Live Box set .

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

I9sn't that flogging a dead horse.... or milking a cow??

I'll pass on this

I think I bought my last Zep artefact with those mini-sleeves about 10 years ago...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I thought I read that it will be a reissue series with an added disc for each release with bonus material. If there's live stuff included it's a no brainer for me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I think Roger Waters called it "Riding the gravy train".
    Well, he oughtta know.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Well, he oughtta know.
    Unlike Gilmour , who benefitted of the loyd name to release his solo stuff, Waters had to rely on his own name... Therefore David had fortune made with inferior stuff (AMLOR and TDB), while Roger still needs to hammer it out despite much superior stuff (Amused to Death for ex)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Unlike Gilmour , who benefitted of the loyd name to release his solo stuff, Waters had to rely on his own name... Therefore David had fortune made with inferior stuff (AMLOR and TDB), while Roger still needs to hammer it out despite much superior stuff (Amused to Death for ex)
    Absolutety!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I thought I read that it will be a reissue series with an added disc for each release with bonus material. If there's live stuff included it's a no brainer for me.
    Didn't Page say that each reissue would be a boxset(meaning more than two discs)?

Banned

If these songs are included as bonus tracks(and the price isn't too high), then I'm in. I know that the latter song has been on some versions of Coda, but it's only on the box set and itunes versions of Coda.

Banned
    I read on article on the Ultimate Classic Rock website that stated the that first three(or four albums) would be reissued this year, while the next would arrive in 2015. It seems Page doesn't want to send his fans to the poor house by having all the reissues out all at once. It also started that each album would get a sonic upgrade.

I'll take Gilmour every time.

Waters was the genius in PF without doubt.

Well, remember that Roger Waters left Pink Floyd by his own accord. Under such circumstances, Gilmour and Mason had every right to continue on. And as we eventually learned, Roger Waters wasn't as much of "the genius behind Pink Floyd" as he wanted the whole world to think.

I'm not so sure I would characterize Gilmour's work as "inferior". I've said this a bunch of time before, but Roger seems to get so caught up in making "The Big Important Statement" that he forgets to write some actual songs to go along with his social commentary.

At least Gilmour remembers to write some actual melodies and hooks to hang the lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Waters was the genius in PF without doubt.
    Bullshit! Without Gilmour and Wright, he'd be just another singer/songwriter whinging about how miserable the world is.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, remember that Roger Waters left Pink Floyd by his own accord. Under such circumstances, Gilmour and Mason had every right to continue on. And as we eventually learned, Roger Waters wasn't as much of "the genius behind Pink Floyd" as he wanted the whole world to think.

I'm not so sure I would characterize Gilmour's work as "inferior". I've said this a bunch of time before, but Roger seems to get so caught up in making "The Big Important Statement" that he forgets to write some actual songs to go along with his social commentary.

At least Gilmour remembers to write some actual melodies and hooks to hang the lyrics.
    Problem was the post-Waters PF tribute albums were AOR trash. That was all the proof needed that Waters was PF!

Waters was a brilliant lyricist, Wright and Gilmour wrote timeless tunes. Put them together you get great music. Apart you get a guy that can write pointed lyrics with no melodies and a band that creates the proper feel but lyrically has no gravitas. And why is this discussion happening in a Zep thread?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    And why is this discussion happening in a Zep thread?
    That's what I'd like to know? I want to hear more about the upcoming reissues. Not the same tired discussion of a Water-less PF vs. Waters.

Jon Neudorf
    Yeah, that debate needs to be in another thread. Actually, no it doesn't. It gets to be annoying as hell discussing who was better than who. Utterly pointless. They were a great band, let's just leave it at that.
    Back to Zep.....

Regards,
    Jon
    Last edited by jlneudorf; 01-06-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Home > News > Quarter-inch spools hiding Zep treasure
    Quarter-inch spools hiding Zep treasure
    Comments 22 gbarton at 11:15am October 17 2013 Lost boys: Plant and Page in 2007
    Robert Plant has found some long-lost Led Zeppelin recordings – including two tracks with John Paul Jones singing lead – and he jokes he faces a fight with Jimmy Page to get them on to the forthcoming Zepplin box sets.

New quotes from Plant have emerged offering the exciting information about the much-anticipated release after he stumbled across some old spools.

Percy says: “I found some quarter-inch spools recently, and I had a meeting with Jimmy, and we backed them up and listened to them, and there’s some very, very interesting bits and pieces that probably will turn up on these things.

“I’m desperately trying to get this one track – or the two tracks of John Paul Jones singing lead. And so far he’s up to giving me two cars and a greenhouse not to get them on the album. Oh, John, wherever you are… you can’t wait to hear yourself singing all over the world! La la la la la la la…”
    A greenhouse?!? Is Percy Plant turning into Percy Thrower in his old age?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It's called Selling the Stairway to Heaven.