Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Portnoy's 14 yr. old Son has a great new band,Next To None.

Mike Portnoy's 14 yr. old Son has a great new band,Next To None.

lil' guy
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Sorry man.. I just can't relate...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Just awful. Can't believe I fell for it & clicked the link (or opened thread). Ugh.

Hey, he's only 14!

Whad'ya expect ? Baby Dream Theater?

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Hey, he's only 14!

Whad'ya expect ? Baby Dream Theater?
    A bigger drum set. Oh, wait..............

That's why I'm so surprised/disgusted with myself; I can't stand DT! Argh, it my own fault! But, seriously, what's next on PE: videos from Kerry Livgren's grandson's baseball game? Mike Rutherford's next door neighbor singing "Happy Birthday"?

Good stuff for a bunch of adolescents! I'd like to hear it without the vocals, but I dig the music.

Pretty good for 14! Fun idea for lyrics with the fortune cookies.

Well, I'm not missing the Max, but I might be missing the melody.

... Okay, sorry about that.

The thing that irks me is that this band is getting billing on the Prognation at Sea Cruise. I'm sure Mike is proud of his son, and his son's friend's band might be pretty good for their ages. But to actually list them as one of the attractions for the Prognation at Sea cruise I find kinda insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The thing that irks me is that this band is getting billing on the Prognation at Sea Cruise. I'm sure Mike is proud of his son, and his son's friend's band might be pretty good for their ages. But to actually list them as one of the attractions for the Prognation at Sea cruise I find kinda insulting.
    Listen......, anything that calls itself Prognation at Sea, is pretty much insulting to everybody involved.

....when does Miley Cirus come in?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

The first thing I thought of when I saw this was this video from the "brains" behind Rebecca Black's "Friday", which has also been making the rounds on the internet this week.

Hey, that's a heck of a lot better than my first band. And it had grownups in it.

Nice pang cymbal work there kiddo!

Jeeze what does he need all those drums for? He could have done that on a 5 piece kit.

I think this is awesome! No, I don't really enjoy the music at all (though nice keyboard lines, and the drums did kick!), but the point for me is that it's endearing to see M. Portnoy giving his kid support like this. I can only project what their relationship is like, but I think this is really cool.

OK, now back to listening to the Winery Dogs.

The Monkees weren't allowed to play their own instruments and had their own tv show and they were over 20. At least these kids can play. Compared to 90% of bands that are constantly on tv shows late at night,I think they have potential. At 14 yrs. old I was learning Beatles songs.

Listen......, anything that calls itself Prognation at Sea, is pretty much insulting to everybody involved.
    Dopey comment. Progressive Nation was a tour DT headlined twice, and it gave a shot at some unknown prog acts deserving of attention. But somehow you find fault with it. Portnoy has done more than most in supporting prog over the years. Say what you want about his music -obviously you are not a fan, but the guy should be applauded for his efforts within this diverse genre we all spend countless hours talking about and listening to.

OK, it's a dopey song and a very corny video, but come on now, they are 14! Seriously, I just can't imagine being so critical. They do have chops, and I imagine the song writing will get better as they mature. Some of you just like to bash things, guess that makes you happy. As to Portnoy's kid, I think he pounds the drums harder than his dad! And if you notice, it was the kit Mike had from Adrenalin Mob. Give him a few years and the kid will make good use of a large kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Dopey comment. Progressive Nation was a tour DT headlined twice, and it gave a shot at some unknown prog acts deserving of attention. But somehow you find fault with it. Portnoy has done more than most in supporting prog over the years. Say what you want about his music -obviously you are not a fan, but the guy should be applauded for his efforts within this diverse genre we all spend countless hours talking about and listening to.
    relax...., I was commenting on the awful name prognation at sea, not Portnoy's music or contributions.

Well, it's a continuation of the Progressive Nation tours... and it's at sea.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Well, it's a continuation of the Progressive Nation tours... and it's at sea.
    Yup, the name makes sense. Not to Nosebone I guess.

Banned
    relax...., I was commenting on the awful name prognation at sea, not Portnoy's music or contributions.
    Dude, it's prog rock. What is a King Crimson or Gentle Giant?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Dude, it's prog rock. What is a King Crimson or Gentle Giant?
    I'm certainly not siding with Nosebone, but you mentioned two rather cool band names. As to Prognation At Sea, I'm at a loss what is wrong with that, I think it fits perfectly. I think Nosebone is just bothered that he didn't think up something that good.