Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zappa plays Zappa Roxy & Elsewhere tour..

Zappa plays Zappa Roxy & Elsewhere tour..

Caught Dweezil and his band last night... Roxy was wonderful to hear but the second set blew me away... if you are into Franks catalog.. this band does it justice.. saw them a couple years ago and was equally impressed..Dweezil Zappa concert 118.jpg

I am going tonight!

Will be seeing them on Halloween, looking forward to it!

I also might add.. the drummer has an incredible amount of energy!

Was Dummy Up done as an improv or was it word for word?

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    Was Dummy Up done as an improv or was it word for word?
    Word for word (with a bit of improv).. of course Zappa would often make the lyrics relevant to the region / city he was playing in.. thus references to Charlottesville, Roanoke etc. were often strategically placed..

I have to confess I gave this tour a pass, even though I've enjoyed ZPZ many times in the past. I'm not big on the "play the whole album in sequence" concept, especially when it comes to a live album that had a lot of improv and on-the-spot creativity going on. ZPZ performs the Roxy-era material wonderfully, but they miss the spontaneity that guys like Napoleon Murphy Brock and George Duke brought.

I'll be seeing them in Detroit (Royal Oak, MI) on Friday night. Can't wait!!!

I can't go to this at this time.
    I'm still waiting for the official Roxy... Dvd..
    And
    Son of Roxy dvd

Hopefully they will come out before I die.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I just can't justify paying Dweezil 10x what I paid his old man for the genuine article, for what Project Object delivers better at a fraction of the price.

What sort of ticket prices are you talking about? The Burlington, VT show is only $30. Seems quite reasonable.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I just can't justify paying Dweezil 10x what I paid his old man for the genuine article, for what Project Object delivers better at a fraction of the price.
    agreed
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Project/Object does a much better job of delivering the "eyebrows," but I wouldn't necessarily say they play the Roxy-era music better.

How does the Roxy stuff sound without a percussionist in the band? Ruth's work was a pretty big part of that album.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    What sort of ticket prices are you talking about? The Burlington, VT show is only $30. Seems quite reasonable.
    We paid $27.. well worth it.. regarding percussionist question above.. a lot admittedly were played on keyboard.. each to their own.. I loved the show.. I knew Roxy material inside and out back when it was first released.. Dweezil's band does it justice..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Dweezil's band does it justice..
    Good to know. This show is coming to my area early next year, and I'll probably end up going. Hell, I almost don't care what the setlist is, since it's Frank's music and Dweezil's wonderful guitar playing. Absorbing Frank's style and putting his own spin on it has really made Dweezil into a monster player.

They are great and worth every penny. So are The Grandmothers of Invention who are inexpensive to see when they come around.

Imho, there's plenty of room for P/O, ZPZ, Grandmother's and anyone else that wants to play Zappa's material.

I've seen those three groups and have enjoyed each one for what they bring.

^Joe you are a wise feller!

Anyone else caught Dweezil on this tour?

http://www.zappaplayszappa.com/tourdates.html

Saw one of the tours a few years back at the beacon in NYC. Brought back a flood of memories of seeing the old man. Would highly recommend it's an amazing experience for any true diehard Zappa fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Homburg View Post
    Anyone else caught Dweezil on this tour?

http://www.zappaplayszappa.com/tourdates.html
    Going in January.

This will be my 5th time seeing him. Always a good show.

My wife is buying tickets for a February show tomorrow.
    <sig out of order>

I saw 'Banned from Utopia' saturday and 'The Grandmothers of Invention' this evening !
    Both are great, Napoleon and Don Preston was the better entertainement, but 'Banned from Utopia' with Morgan Ågren on drums (and Tom Fowler, Ray White, Ed Mann, a.o. ) was musically more challenging and thus more interesting - they played Black Page as a disco version! I saw Grandmothers in February too, different musicians then, and that worked better than this time IMO.
    I think both bands are better that ZPZ, who was scheduled this month too, but got cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I saw 'Banned from Utopia' saturday and 'The Grandmothers of Invention' this evening !
    Both are great, Napoleon and Don Preston was the better entertainement, but 'Banned from Utopia' with Morgan Ågren on drums (and Tom Fowler, Ray White, Ed Mann, a.o. ) was musically more challenging and thus more interesting - they played Black Page as a disco version! I saw Grandmothers in February too, different musicians then, and that worked better than this time IMO.
    I think both bands are better that ZPZ, who was scheduled this month too, but got cancelled.
    So, how many FZ-related bands are out there? Project Object is still out there, right?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"