Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vote for Yes (and Peter Gabriel too) for the R&RHoF

Nirvana (and to be clear, I'm not really a fan) weren't just big for themselves; in many ways they put the whole grunge scene on the map for the rest of the world.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Cast my votes, YES is looking GOOD!!!

I can see Kiss getting in, if only for the reason that they (likely) inspired many kids to pick up guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    I can see Kiss getting in, if only for the reason that they (likely) inspired many kids to pick up guitar.

And have those kids think you only need to know three chords to be good.

I voted for Yes, but they have no chances to get over Nirvana. I haven't heard Nirvana, but I know they are massively popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    And have those kids think you only need to know three chords to be good.
    Worked for The Ramones.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I say "thankfully".

Although, here's hoping YES, Peter Gabriel and KISS do not make it in.
    Ah, trolls...

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I voted for Link Wray. He's the nominee whose lack of inclusion to date is the most criminal, IMO.
    Definitely! I voted for Kiss, Deep Purple, Link Wray, and I forget who my other two votes went to. I can assure I did not vote for Nirvana, though.

From what i gather from what I just heard on the news, all the living inductees also get a vote. So perhaps the reason they're finally inducting people who've been passed over in previous years (like Rush) is because the Steve Rubell wannabes who run the Hall Of Fame have inducted enough people who have better taste than they do, that the velvet ropes are coming down, as it were.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Oh yeah! When I want to rock out, I crank up the Linda Ronstadt!
    Well then, you'll be happy to know that Linda Ronstadt will be an inductee. Mark my words.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Henry View Post
    Ah, trolls...
    Not necessarily; Gruno may be the biggest KISS fan on the planet, so therefore he's placing Yes and Gabe on the same "pedestal" as KISS... of not being in the Hall of Fame... THAT pedestal...

I'll be contrary and say that I think Nirvana deserves to get in as much as Yes, if we're talking about bands/musicians who have had a lasting impact on rock music. I can still clearly recall how in the early 90s bands like Yes and Genesis were swept off the airwaves by the advent of the Seattle groups. In fact, more than a few FM rock stations (including KOME in San Jose where I was at the time) completely changed their format not long after Nirvana burst on the scene. They truly were game changers, whether you like their music or not.

That said, I'll be voting for Yes and PG for sure. It's actually not a bad field of candidates this year and Yes may not get in.

By the way, this 1972 photo of newlyweds Chris and Nikki Squire (with daughter Carmen) appeared with other candidate pix in an online news outlet. I've never seen it before:

chris_nikki_squire.jpg

OH yeah, now I remember, I voted for Chic also. And yeah, I voted for Yes too.

I always think it's funny when people kvetch about certain inductees, it's also the disco, R&B and pop people. People seem to take exception to Donna Summer being in the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame, but they don't seem to mind the likes of James Taylor being inducted. Curious that seems to be the case.

Back in the late 80's, I remember Dennis Leary had a piece about parents who were suing heavy metal bands because their kids committed suicide. He suggested that he should be allowed to sue James Taylor for turning him into a pussy back in the 70's.

I'm sure Peter Gabriel is starting to come up with excuses just in case he is inducted.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

My picks in this order: Peter Gabriel, Yes, Purple, Zombies, Replacements.
    Nirvana are a shoe in, and Cat Stevens is brilliant but gets edged out by my picks.

This was actually quite difficult to pick 5 out of this bunch as I think most if not all of them deserve consideration (although I still don’t think rap is rock n roll). I voted:

Deep Purple – They should be a shoo in to get in this year. Should have been in a long time ago.

Peter Gabriel – I have my doubts he will make it, but maybe.

Yes – I think it is possible and they are deserving.

Kiss – Not really that much of a fan, but they have been a huge part of rock n roll all these years and should be in.

Nirvana – I know a lot of people here hate them, but they changed rock n roll and had a huge impact. I personally think “Nevermind” is an all time classic album, but I know that is not a popular opinion here.

Steve Sly

A lot of those are great bands, artists... they should put them all in. It's like voting on which classic cars we should feature in a classic car museum... like as many as possible!

I did vote however. Yes, DP, Kiss, Gabriel, Cat Stevens.

I understand the importance of Nirvana, but I think the older bands are more deserving right now, and Nirvana should have their day later. I don't understand Hall & Oats though... do they really have fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I did vote however. Yes, DP, Kiss, Gabriel, Cat Stevens.
    Same ones I voted for.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Voted for Yes, Peter Gabriel, and Deep Purple. I doubt seriously YES will get in first try. Deep Purple deserves it too so they may edge out YES this time. I agree that Nirvanna, KISS, and Linda Ronstadt are shoe-ins, along with Hall and Oates,IMHO. And I think PG and DP probably have the edge over YES. If not they'll probably make it next year. The competition is pretty thick this year. Im just kinda surprised they finally got nominated!

Voted my 0.000001% of 1/601. Pulled the lever for Yes, Peter Gabriel, Deep Purple, and Cat Stevens. Glad to at least see Yes on the ballot.

I don't get how so far DP has about 5,000 more votes than YES and the gap seems to be widening. I'm pretty sure YES have sold more albums so what's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I don't get how so far DP has about 5,000 more votes than YES and the gap seems to be widening. I'm pretty sure YES have sold more albums so what's up with that?
    Yes may have sold more records, but Smoke On The Water is more iconic than...well, just about anything in the Yes catalog. Also remember that Deep Purple are widely known as one of the originators of hard rock and metal. Yes are mostly known (at least in the US) as those who sang Owner Of A Lonely Heart.

Deep Purple are more popular, I'd say, though like Yes they've had some wobbly moments...they were having those even at their 'peak' in the 70s ('Who Do We Think We Are' and 'Stormbringer' I don't particularly care for....I only really like the last few songs on 'Come Taste The Band' as well). But the 1970-1972 period alone is enough, some of the best rock music of the era. Some good music away from that, the Rod Evans albums are fine, 'Burn' is mostly good, 'Perfect Strangers' is a bit slick but at its best, holds up to the legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    they were having those even at their 'peak' in the 70s ('Who Do We Think We Are' and 'Stormbringer' I don't particularly care for....
    Really? I believe many have an opposite view.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yes may have sold more records, but Smoke On The Water is more iconic than...well, just about anything in the Yes catalog. Also remember that Deep Purple are widely known as one of the originators of hard rock and metal. Yes are mostly known (at least in the US) as those who sang Owner Of A Lonely Heart.
    I'm not sure on a worldwide basis who has sold more records between Purple/Yes, but Purple have almost always been bigger in other territories than here in the states. They still play large arenas outside the US and their most recent album hit #1 in several countries. It's been years since Yes had a big record, to the best of my knowledge. Either way, both bands should have been in the Hall of Fame years ago, IMO.

If Yes and Deep Purple get in I will be quite pleased. I believe The Zombies deserve to be in for their 3 huge hits,She's Not There,Tell Her No and the best of all,Time Of The Season. Peter Gabriel also got my vote. as well as TPBBB. Love March on the Woodstock album is awesome.