Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Beardfish anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    What albums should I start with?
    I also say 'Sane Day'. It was the first one I heard/bought and still my favorite.

I love everything they've done up to Mammoth. They just seemed to lose it on the album for me. But "The Sane Day", "Sleeping in Traffic pt. 1 and 2", and "Desolation Solitaire" are great albums. Their performance at Progday was a highlight of the festival's history for me.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    My fave of theirs is Sleeping In Traffic Pt 1 - and I'm indifferent about the rest.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Just picked up The Void as my first Beardfish purchase. I was already familiar and impressed with some of the earlier tunes, but Voluntary Slavery is the song that made me take the plunge on the CD.

Very pleased with my initial listens, which is always a good sign. Sure they seem heavier then usual, but I notice some balance as well.

They Whisper is a clear Steely Dan vibe in my ear.

I might even imagine a left behind tool or two hidden among the waves emanating from The Void.

But the defining difference as always is the dynamic lead vocal and mastermind behind the music. This Rickard is an impressively unique talent which grows this Beard on the Fish. In the Wilson mode perhaps?
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

But the defining difference as always is the dynamic lead vocal and mastermind behind the music. This Rickard is an impressively unique talent which grows this Beard on the Fish. In the Wilson mode perhaps?[/QUOTE]

I agree that Rikard is a unique talent. I bought the Mammoth CD/Making of...DVD. The DVD has a lot of neat stuff on it. It showcases what a down to earth, nice person Rikard is. Mammoth is a good album, as well.

Love this band. Sleeping In Traffic Part II and Mammoth are my favourites but they are all so good, although I still haven't heard the first one. The Sane Day is a lot of music to wade through but it's so entertaining and these guys have to be Zappa fans.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Rikard has a Zappa cover band. So, yep. Zappa fans.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Rikard has a Zappa cover band. So, yep. Zappa fans.
    It seemed pretty obvious the first time I heard The Sane Day but I didn't know about him being in a Zappa cover band. The Gooberville Ballroom Dancer is hilarious.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

chalkpie
    Shrimpboat Captain!

I bought The Void when it came out but read on here about "heaviness" and "growling" vocals and, as a result, I haven't listened to it. Is it going to be as bad as I fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ives View Post
    I bought The Void when it came out but read on here about "heaviness" and "growling" vocals and, as a result, I haven't listened to it. Is it going to be as bad as I fear.
    Not all of the songs are "crunchy" or contain growling. There are some really good pieces on The Void, so I would still recommend listening to it. But it's a bit different from The Sane Day or SiT.

Appearing at RoSFest 2014 !!!!

I miss their old releases like "The Sane Day", with these wonderfuly crafted Zappa influences. Their new heavier direction left me indifferent.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Just getting started with Beardfish but I like 'em. To me they sound a bit like Black Bonzo, but I haven't heard all the albums yet(only The Void, and Sleeping in Traffic pt 1 & 2).

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    My first exposure to Beardfish live this AM:

That kicks some serious ass.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Finally heard the Sleeping in Traffic albums. Part 1 kind of left me cold but Part 2...hoo boy, where to begin? For the most part, this is their most fully realized album...from a musical standpoint. I thought I was going to love this album straight through and put it up as one of the best albums of the 00s...

Then it got to “South of the Border.” Puke! Way to take a big, steaming, smelly dump right in the middle of your album, guys! Gods, that song is terrible in ways mere words can’t describe. I’m considering doing an interpretive dance to express how horrible it is. And then we get to the 35-minute mega-epic, which is in Destined Solitaire territory, with the excellent and the crappy sitting side-by-side. ARRRGGGHH!!! Why must this band be so frustrating?

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Pressure”-Pekka Pohjola/Flight of the Angel

The best tunes on SIT 2 are indeed the ones that are not the epic or SOTB. The rest though is some of their best work.

arent they just awesome! With all that they can go and play Woodstock right now Hope a proper dvd/bluray will be released shortly. its overdue big time. must be opening for DT.... hmmm DT should be opening for them.

I got into Beardfish after Sane Day. I liked most of SIT, Destined Solitaire, The Mammoth, The Void not so much, but I will agree, DT should be opening for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Finally heard the Sleeping in Traffic albums. Part 1 kind of left me cold but Part 2...hoo boy, where to begin? For the most part, this is their most fully realized album...from a musical standpoint. I thought I was going to love this album straight through and put it up as one of the best albums of the 00s...

Then it got to “South of the Border.” Puke! Way to take a big, steaming, smelly dump right in the middle of your album, guys! Gods, that song is terrible in ways mere words can’t describe. I’m considering doing an interpretive dance to express how horrible it is. And then we get to the 35-minute mega-epic, which is in Destined Solitaire territory, with the excellent and the crappy sitting side-by-side. ARRRGGGHH!!! Why must this band be so frustrating?
    You just summed up my thoughts perfectly. I got the exact same impression listening to that album. The other albums I've tried are also pretty much hit and miss (SiT1, DS and The Void). The only album of theirs that I really like is Mammoth: hardly any growling (except as backing vocals at one point) and no goofiness. The best of Mammoth may not be as good as the best of SiT part 2, but it's their most consistent album IMO.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Pressure”-Pekka Pohjola/Flight of the Angel
    The band has a history of throwing in goofiness, as does one of their biggest musical heroes - Frank Zappa. Check out "The Gooberville Dancer" on The Sane Day. They also find it funny to disappoint, even piss off, some of their fans by doing this, kind of a show that "we play for ourselves, not for you" attitude. This is line with a philosophy that say's a band starts down the road of compromise by first kissing their Fans asses, not their critics. On old criticism of them by many has been the use of swear words. Then "Sleeping in Traffic pt. 2" comes out loaded with em, basically a "fuck you!" to those who don't like it. And I am sure they appreciate their own humor, too. And so do I. I have absolutely no problem with "South of the Border" being right where it is on that Great Album, tho a close friend of mine voiced the same complaints about it as above. And Mammoth, which some love because of its consistent 'seriousness', is to me too boring to even finish. I am not saying that my taste is superior to yours, or vice versa. But take the long view. If this band can appeal to both you and I despite our differences about their goofiness, then they are doing something right by broadening their appeal. And of course they are doing it for themselves, like all great bands

Are they still doing some cookie monster vocals? I fled the scene when they started throwing those in?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingalesandbombers View Post
    Are they still doing some cookie monster vocals? I fled the scene when they started throwing those in?
    Their latest album The Void from 2012 is their heaviest to date, with a few moments of growling. So I'd answer YES to your question.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingalesandbombers View Post
    Then you missed some really great tunes, particularly "Note."