Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD: Rare Bird - Epic Forest

Yes there was a rip of the US record on YouTube a while back and to my mind, that was obviously correct. I've no idea what happened to the UK version. ISTR you saying that one can actually hear the tape slowing down on the UK 'God Of War' and sure enough, you can.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Esoteric box en route with all their output.

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...5-6cd-box-set/

Has an extra live disc from Drury Lane. This was a show they shared with Barclay James Harvest- their first live album was partially recorded (and filmed) at this gig.
    Thanks for posting this, something to look forward to. Only hope the box will be available on this side of the pond as well.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I suppose it's too much to hope for that the remaster of the first album will be free of the tape speed issues that afflicted the original UK pressing and all CD releases. To date, the only way to hear that album properly is the US vinyl.
    They seem pretty diligent with their reissues so I am hopeful. Perhaps someone from Cherry Red reads posts here or to make sure it may be worthwhile to send them your exact message ... so we all get it the way it should be.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Steve Gould has a great rock voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Killer voice. So overlooked.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I have the first few albums but I didn't like what I heard from the later Polydor albums so I didn't bother with those. It seemed the sound softened a lot. Early on they were capable of quite a heavy sound despite being guitar-free.

I do like the Fields album a lot. An excellent melodic progressive rock album.

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    They seem pretty diligent with their reissues so I am hopeful. Perhaps someone from Cherry Red reads posts here or to make sure it may be worthwhile to send them your exact message ... so we all get it the way it should be.
    It's probably already been manufactured. There has been little discussion that I've seen about this obvious speed discrepancy beyond Mister Triscuits' posts on the subject. And it's not even a slight difference, if you hear the US version.
    Last edited by JJ88; 02-22-2021 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    One of the best imo
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Thanks for posting this, something to look forward to. Only hope the box will be available on this side of the pond as well.
    Not seeing this on any of the usual US spots. Curious if anyone here in the States has picked it up.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Banned
    I think that "Epic Forest" is even better and more varied than "As Your Mind Flies By". "Baby Listen", "House in the City" ... and the rest are unbeatable. In my own ranking, "Epic Forest" is my number one record by this band and then number two is "As Your Mind Flies By". Well, I listened to both albums from the mid to late 70s and back then the ranking was still the other way around. That has changed over the years. "Epic Forest" is Rare Bird's third album and it doesn't seem to be a further development but a change of course, which I think is a shame.
    The original songwriting has remained, but the songs are rather guitar-oriented and bass-heavy. Those dominant keyboards on "As Your Mind Flies By" have largely disappeared and have only been replaced in places by a rather sparingly used piano. The remaining approaches are most likely to be found in the 70's funk-rock, whereby individual songs definitely featuring rock or have rocky passages. Anyway, high recommendation for both "As Your Mind Flies By" and "Epic Forest".

Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    I think that "Epic Forest" is even better and more varied than "As Your Mind Flies By". "Baby Listen", "House in the City" ... and the rest are unbeatable. In my own ranking, "Epic Forest" is my number one record by this band and then number two is "As Your Mind Flies By". Well, I listened to both albums from the mid to late 70s and back then the ranking was still the other way around. That has changed over the years. "Epic Forest" is Rare Bird's third album and it doesn't seem to be a further development but a change of course, which I think is a shame.
    The original songwriting has remained, but the songs are rather guitar-oriented and bass-heavy. Those dominant keyboards on "As Your Mind Flies By" have largely disappeared and have only been replaced in places by a rather sparingly used piano. The remaining approaches are most likely to be found in the 70's funk-rock, whereby individual songs definitely featuring rock or have rocky passages. Anyway, high recommendation for both "As Your Mind Flies By" and "Epic Forest".
    Yes I agree Epic Forest is their best. But I usually skip the opening track, which I don't feel is representative of the album.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Yes I agree Epic Forest is their best. But I usually skip the opening track, which I don't feel is representative of the album.
    How we all hear things differently! For me, "Baby Listen" is a great funk-rock song.

How we all hear things differently! For me, "Baby Listen" is a great funk-rock song.
    I've listened to this album for the first time, and I've fallen in love with "Title No. 1." That song has tremendous energy and the keyboard solo is terrific. I don't think I've heard a keyboard tone like that before and I love it.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Agreed, love that song! Great guitar runs and, again, Steve Gould and Paul Karas had great vocal chemistry.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...