Thread: Milla Jovovich's "The Divine Comedy" CD

Milla Jovovich's "The Divine Comedy" CD

Any fans of hers?

Milla's first album, "The Divine Comedy", was released in 1994. She wrote most of the material when she was 15 years old. Her style is often compared to Kate Bush.

When I first bought this disc, I bought it on a whim; Circuit City had it featured as their "New Music, Right Price" end cap. CD was on sale for $6.99. I listened to the disc in the car on the way home from the store. Then, I couldn't stop listening to it. Every song captures me in some odd way. Her vocal style is great. I can't review this album without gushing over it. This release ranks high with me and would definitely make my top 10 of all-time list.

She toured briefly for this album, but sadly has never released a follow-up. She does release new music via her website. In fact, she just released a new song back in May and it is featured on her site.

Unfortunately, I never was able to see her perform live. There is a DVD that circulates of 2 performances in Austin, TX in 1994. One performance is pro-shot/soundboard at a place called Liberty Lunch. The other performance is an in-store at Tower Records. Below is "Clock" performed at Liberty Lunch. I love the interpretations of her music in a live setting. Some are different versions and others just come to life that much more. In recent years she has performed occasionally with Puscifer.

The only official music video for this album:

"Clock" is a hauntingly charming song... considering that it is about Anne Frank:

"Precious", a non-album track performed on Late Night with Conan O'Brien:

**In 1998, "The People Tree Sessions" was released without Milla's approval. The CD was available for purchase online for a short time and the original copies are heavily sought out by fans and collectors. I bought the combo pack which included a poster. The album is very techno/electronic/experimental. Milla does not acknowledge this album and I don't blame her:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_People_Tree_Sessions

My local radio station played Bang Your Head when the CD was released. I bought it then and play it every so often. It's a decent CD. Think I'll give it a spin today. It's been a while.

Love this quirky gem. Saw the NYC gig of the tour - truly an excellent show. I wish she'd do more in this vein!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Nice. Thanks Gruno, never knew about this. My wife and I are both huge Kate and Mila fans, so what's not to like!
    Ordered a used copy for $4 shipped. There's more on Amazon available.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Yeah, this is a nice album. Half of it is produced by Rupert Hine, who produced artists such as Cafe Jacques and Anthony Phillips in the late 70s. I had no idea she was releasing new music on her website. With the quality of her album, I'm not surprised-music is evidently in her blood. Will have to check her new stuff out.

Now I'm in the mood to watch 'The Fifth Element'. Who doesn't love her great lines such as 'Auto-Wash' and 'Multi-Pass'.

One of my best clearance CD finds. Who knew the chick from The Fifth Element was a talented singer/songwriter/mandolinist? The music was absolutely not what I expected from a model/actress. And thank God for that, the world has more than enough shitty dance club music. As previously stated, produced by Rupert Hine and featuring lots of PCO personnel (including Geoff Richardson, also of Caravan).

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Love Song”-Simple Minds/Sons and Fascination

I loved this album and saw her at The Mercury Lounge in NYC. Pat (from 3RDegree) and I hung out with her afterwards (who wouldn't want to?) and took some pics. Fav is probably "Heard It All Before".

Yeah, a cool disc. Saw the tour in Richmond, got her autograph and a hug. Good times.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Saw the NYC gig of the tour - truly an excellent show.
    I hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    saw her at The Mercury Lounge in NYC. Pat (from 3RDegree) and I hung out with her afterwards (who wouldn't want to?) and took some pics.
    I hate you more.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Saw the tour in Richmond, got her autograph and a hug.
    I hate you the most!!

Just kidding!

I am jealous that you cool kids got to see her perform live for this album. I wish I could have caught a show on that short tour in 1994! I have never met Milla. I have an album flat of the album cover that I would love to get signed. Le sigh...

Here is the full 45 min. Austin show:

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I can't think of a single most captivating magic movie moment than when Milla first appeared on the Fifth Element. I'd have an accident if she gave me a hug! The clip you posted looks pretty decent Gruno.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I hate you more.
    Just had to get this jab in I saw Rob's post about "took pics". Here's the evidence
    Attached Images Attached Images

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I can't think of a single most captivating magic movie moment than when Milla first appeared on the Fifth Element. I'd have an accident if she gave me a hug! The clip you posted looks pretty decent Gruno.

Beautiful lady. Great album.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I had no idea she was a singer as well. I thought she was purely an actor, coincidentally just finished watching the 2011 version of The Three Musketeers.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree Pat View Post
    Just had to get this jab in I saw Rob's post about "took pics". Here's the evidence
    Ah-look who appears on PE out of nowhere! I was going to post this pic Pat. I think I got a picture too but I can't find it!

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree Pat View Post
    Ah-look who appears on PE out of nowhere! I was going to post this pic Pat. I think I got a picture too but I can't find it!
    Well, lookie here!!! My hate is growing stronger!!

One day, guys... one day I will get my pic and my album flat signed by her.

===

Did anyone here ever get "The Peopletree Sessions" CD?

I have the rare promo CD. (maybe someone needs it badly).

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Pulled the album out last night prompted by this thread; we've had it since release but hadn't heard it in many a moon. A very nice LP, perhaps closer in sound to some of Happy Rhodes' and Jane Siberry's work than Kate's, but clearly she'd been listening to some Kate as well.

Spinning this one on Wednesday. Love it!

I've got this album on cassette around here someplace. Don't remember much about it, apart from that it fit vaguely into that sort of Kate Bush kind of thing, as you say.

This time every year I go through my collection to pick out things I can do live without to take out to ProgDay...and every year, despite little or no spins, Milla still gets to keep her space in my bookcase, right between Mike + the Mechanics and Minimum Vital (album was credited only to her first name). I also have somewhere a burned DVD-R of the Austin show; I don't think I've ever sat through the whole thing, but really liked what I did see. --Peter

That Austin show is good. She was quite young and goofy, but the performance is nice. There's also footage of her performing at Tower Records from the day of, or prior to, that show.

That's the very show I was at!
    I loved this album and saw her at The Mercury Lounge in NYC. Pat (from 3RDegree) and I hung out with her afterwards (who wouldn't want to?) and took some pics. Fav is probably "Heard It All Before".
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Very interesting! I just stumbled across this thread (searching for "Anthony Phillips", oddly enough). Had no idea she was a musician too, or that she had put out any records. I'll have to check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Very interesting! I just stumbled across this thread (searching for "Anthony Phillips", oddly enough). Had no idea she was a musician too, or that she had put out any records. I'll have to check this out.
    Anthony Phillips > Rupert Hine > Milla (not even 6...)

Bought the album at a fair because of Hine and the cover.