Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music Catalogue software

Music Catalogue software

What software do you use to track and record all of your CD, DVD, DD (digital download) assets?
    Ideally, this software should be an Excel table with some brains like being able to import discogs.com lists, scan your mp3, flac, whatever archive and sync the data with what is already in the database.
    Is there anything coming close to this functionality?
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

I have an Excel spreadsheet that's been running for about 14 years.

I'd be very happy to try some real software as long as I could import from Excel (or csv, or whatever). haven't found one yet, though.

I don't need it that badly that I'd bother to spend time developing a system of my own, though...
    Regards,

Duncan

I use Music Collector from Collectorz.com

http://www.collectorz.com/music/

Don't know if this is what you're looking for but it works quite nicely!

You put a CD in the computer, the program scans the CD and adds data from the database, like track titles, release year, record label, catalogue number etc. Also cover art is added in most cases (otherwise you can add your own). There are additional data fields that you have to manage manually, for example musicians.

They also sell a scanner to scan the bar code, if you prefer that. Guess that may work faster, and you don't need to load the CD into the computer.

You can manually correct errors from the data base, if there are any. You can edit any data you like and also add albums manually. In that way you can also add vinyl albums and DVDs.

The data can be exported to text, html, xml and maybe more, not sure (this may vary between PC and Mac version). You can also add all the data to their site on the internet so that you can access it from any computer or other internet device. You can also export your data to an iphone, android or ipad.

I think it also handles mp3-files, buy I haven't tried that so I'm not sure (could be only the PC version).

It's available for PC and Mac, but there are some differences between those versions. Generally the Mac version is lagging a bit behind, since they prefer to add any new features to the PC version first.

Last edited by aplodon; 11-17-2012 at 05:26 PM.

I use Catraxx and find it quite good

http://www.fnprg.com/catraxx/

Thanks for suggestions, I will take a look at Collectorz first as it surely holds some potential. At first I was like "I'd have to write something myself", but reinventing the wheel is not what I am interested in

A short review of two most interesting software applications I have seen so far:

Pros: Very powerful, lots of functions, online CD database. All bells and whistles you can possibly wish for. You can attach your digital music files to actual CDs in database.
    Cons: Does not support getting data from discogs.com (at least I didn't find it). You can manage your musical DVDs, but full DVD functionality is in separate application not integrated with this one. Same goes for managing mp3/flac/whatever - you get some basic functions, but full functionality available in separate application. All these applications cost additional $$$. Licence cost does not cover upgrading to newer major version. Supports Lyrics only as separate txt file (ugh!)

Pros: Amount of functions available is on par with previous one, interface is somewhat simpler (which I liked). Full mp3/flac/whatever support, together with auto-organizing functions (renaming, move to new folder structure etc). Of course supports attaching digital music files to actual CDs in database. Supports Discogs.com
    Cons: Full DVD functionality is in separate product as with Collectorz. Their online store is down for 10 days and no information if that gets fixed soon on support forums. Licence cost does not cover upgrading to newer major version unless it is released within 6 months of license purchase.
    - Transatlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    A short review of two most interesting software applications I have seen so far:
    Interesting, valuable feedback - thanks!

Do either of them have a bulk import feature?

My Excel file lists over 3.500 CDs, and I have no intention of re-entering those albums one-by-one, regardless of how easy it is. But if I could prepare my Excel data into some sort of text-delimited or CSV or whatever format and import it all at once, I could easily be persuaded to change...
    Regards,

Duncan

I'll check these out too. I've used one before (Access database) but ultimately gave up as things became too unwildly!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I ended up with CATraxx.
    My reasons:
    1) I need ability to load data from discogs.com
    2) I need the ability to edit tags of audio files (with Collectorz it's another application)
    3) I need the ability to auto-organize audio files following the templates (again another application with Collectors)
    4) For Discogs releases like 1CD + 1 bonus DVD CATraxx makes correct DB entry with two media, Collectorz messes things up completely
    5) CATraxx interface is simpler and easier to use - too many bells and whistles with Collectorz

Best thing you can do is to get trial versions of both and decide for yourself.

To Duncan Glenday: CATraxx has Excel import option. But try before you buy

P.S. CATraxx online shop does not work for some reason and I contacted the support via online form. I ended up using PayPal to directly purchase it and I got my license code within half an hour.
    - Transatlantic

I ended up with CATraxx.
    My reasons:
    I can't say enough good things about discogs, especially because you can get down to the label/cat # specifically.

Also, my site, progressiverock.com, gets all it's discography data from the discogs API via a Drupal module.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I need ability to load data from discogs.com
    Just for info (I'm not trying to promote one before the other. Not involved with Collectorz):
    Collectorz uses it's own database (contains lots of albums, rarely misses). If it's not found there, it uses discogs.com.

I like the statistics function in Collectorz. Do they have that in CATraxx?

I ended up with CATraxx.
    My reasons:
    2) I need the ability to edit tags of audio files (with Collectorz it's another application)
    3) I need the ability to auto-organize audio files following the templates (again another application with Collectors)
    4) For Discogs releases like 1CD + 1 bonus DVD CATraxx makes correct DB entry with two media, Collectorz messes things up completely
    5) CATraxx interface is simpler and easier to use - too many bells and whistles with Collectorz

Best thing you can do is to get trial versions of both and decide for yourself.

To Duncan Glenday: CATraxx has Excel import option. But try before you buy

P.S. CATraxx online shop does not work for some reason and I contacted the support via online form. I ended up using PayPal to directly purchase it and I got my license code within half an hour.
    Good info - thanks.

Incidentally - what does it cost, and what's the web site?

Quote Originally Posted by aplodon View Post
    Just for info (I'm not trying to promote one before the other. Not involved with Collectorz):
    Collectorz uses it's own database (contains lots of albums, rarely misses). If it's not found there, it uses discogs.com.
    Does it have the ability to import an album list?
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Does it have the ability to import an album list?
    I'm not sure. I have the Mac version and it can import from xml. If you can make your list to an xml-file it should be possible. I don't even know what an wml-file is, btw.

I don't think the PC-version can do that, but you better check the web site or download a trial version. Like Azol said, the best way to figure out what suits you is to try both programs.

I guess you may find info on their forum, or you can join there and ask questions before you buy or try.

http://www.collectorz.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=1

Thanks!
    Regards,

Duncan

Answering your question,

It's 39.95 USD..

Quote Originally Posted by aplodon View Post
    I like the statistics function in Collectorz. Do they have that in CATraxx?
    They have reports, but I cannot tell, as I rarely need any kind of statistics.
    Last edited by Azol; 11-20-2012 at 01:58 AM.

I rarely need any kind of statistics.
    Guess I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to statistics. I enjoy the possibility to view a graphic illustration of how many albums I have from each country, from each year, from each label etc. Or to see how many albums I bought each year or which vendors I bought most from. Or how many albums I have with Hugh Hopper on it or with Chris Cutler, or Bill Bruford etc.

I've used Cattraxx for a few years: very happy with it.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Hi friends, I have found this forum searchin' for music catalog software. I have read this topic, it is not so old so i think I can reply to it.

I use Catraxx since many years and I can say there is not another software so useful and well written. But on October 2012 something happened. What? I dont know, but no more updates, the shop is closed, later the forum too (it is now only for reading). It seems that you can still buy the program (and the others Catvids, Bookcat, Assetcat and one fot stamps, all at this high level) directly, but will be they alive in the future? Who knows?

This is a big problem. I use now MAC and Catraxx is only for Windows, I was hoping in a Mac version, but.... So I have tested several other programs, as Collector, Delicious, CDpedia, and so on. Nothing to do with Catraxx, Catraxx is at another level, it is like compare a pro app with a home app. If you have many CDs (I have almost 2,000 of them) you need a software like Catraxx: easy to update, statistics, direct links with albums, songs, composers, artists, and so on. Possibility to insert data for artists (with photos), band. Directs search for mp3 on your hard drive, collecting data from mp3 tags (and not only mp3). Possibility to have many archives, and many many other options. I haven't ever found a program like this.

Also the price is low, considering the quality, perhaps only the graphic is of "old type", but the use is perfect. Do you search a nice graphic (full of unuseful images) or a good DB with the things you need? Ah... I dont know if it is compatible with mobile devices, I think not because it is mainly a desktop software.

So, if you need a really high level windows software, take Catraxx till it is possible, it has also some good export possibilities if you need in the future transfer to another DB (you can find problem with other program import, not with Catraxx export). And for the future? I only hope that Fredrik Nordbakke (the author) is working on a new version (I hope Mac) and that he has not abandoned his beautiful project.

PS: I have seen that exists also a "CATraxx Mobile 1.0" (see http://catraxx-mobile.soft32.com/ ) but I don't know any on this.
    Last edited by musicfan; 02-19-2013 at 01:20 AM.

Very informative - thanks.

Question:

You mentioned that CATraxx has an export capability. Does it also have an IMPORT? I.e. if I format my data in an appropriate way, will it be able to be bulk-loaded into CATraxx?

Thanks!
    Regards,

Duncan

I have been toying with the idea of reactivating my Music Collector membership/account, since it appears the program has gone through a number of very significant improvements since I last tried it. I downloaded their free trial (limited to 100 database items). Here are a few questions for you cognoscenti:

1. Aplon says their database has lots of entries, rarely misses. Of the first ten CDs I tried, nine of them failed. Is the licensed version different that the free trial? The CDs which failed are Brian Hopper's solo album, his Canterburied Sounds comps from a few years ago, Hugh Hopper's 1984 on the French Mantra label, and some classical. Where are the database's strengths? Where are its weaknesses?

2. My previous database (DOS-based a million years ago) had fields for "country of origin" and "country of release" because many are not the same. Music Collector seems to just have one "Country" field. Can it be customized to add another?

3. Their Movie Collector product, which I have used fairly regularly since it came out, does a good job of populating actors, directors, dates, countries etc. on movies from just a given title via a barcode scan. The Music Collector product on the other hand, in my limited trial, did NOT populate musician credits, producer and engineer credits, studio, country or anything like that. Just the title, cover scan, track list and sometimes year -- which was usually year of the CD release, not year of the original release. Did I get a bad trial?
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 02-19-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by musicfan View Post
    I use now MAC and Catraxx is only for Windows, I was hoping in a Mac version, but....
    Don't get your hopes up:
    http://www.fnprg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14890

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Very informative - thanks.

Question:

You mentioned that CATraxx has an export capability. Does it also have an IMPORT? I.e. if I format my data in an appropriate way, will it be able to be bulk-loaded into CATraxx?

Thanks!
    You can import Excel and Text files.

After you click "import" > Excel you have to setup a table crresponding to you SS I think.

I think you can download a full trial version. Give it a go and have a play.

Link down the bottom of the page http://www.fnprg.com/catraxx/index.html
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    You can import Excel and Text files.

After you click "import" > Excel you have to setup a table crresponding to you SS I think.

I think you can download a full trial version. Give it a go and have a play.

Link down the bottom of the page http://www.fnprg.com/catraxx/index.html
    Thanks, George. I'll give it a try.

(I've been using the same Excel file for 15 years... )

But I've tried several systems over the years, which I've found to be lacking.
    Regards,

Duncan

I originally used Alpha 3, then Alpha 5. Superb database. Then it didn't work anymore when Win XP came around and I switched to Access. Not nearly as nice, but you can get any report you want. I've had limitations with formatting that I didn't have with Alpha. When they finally came up with a new version of Alpha, they wanted $500 for it. Bite me.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"