Thread: Chick Corea - Friends

Chick Corea - Friends

I love this record. I bought it a couple of years after it was released mostly because it was a cheap cut-out, and I liked the playful cover. I was smitten at first listen, and it's been on heavy rotation since.

Is there anything else in Corea's massive discography that is similar in style (acoustic and electric piano, mellow horns, pretty straightforward post-bop) and worth picking up?

Thanks.

I highly recommend "Three Quartets" with Steve Gadd, Michael Brecker and Eddie Gomez
    Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grizzly Bear View Post
    I highly recommend "Three Quartets" with Steve Gadd, Michael Brecker and Eddie Gomez
    You beat me to it! Same band as "Friends," but with Michael Brecker replacing Joe Farrell.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    You beat me to it! Same band as "Friends," but with Michael Brecker replacing Joe Farrell.

Great record, but nothing like Friends.

Three Quartets is bold and intense: friends, intimate and laidback. Both amongst Corea's best, but two very different records.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Great record, but nothing like Friends.

Three Quartets is bold and intense: friends, intimate and laidback. Both amongst Corea's best, but two very different records.
    I agree with that, but within his vast repertoire, how many CC albums are exactly alike? I just figured that if Arthur liked that particular band, three quarters of it are on both albums.

You could try Joe Farrell's Outback album that features Corea, and Elvin Jones. I enjoy the variety of Farrell's multi-reed playing as opposed to Brecker's full on tenor sax.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    You could try Joe Farrell's Outback album that features Corea, and Elvin Jones. I enjoy the variety of Farrell's multi-reed playing as opposed to Brecker's full on tenor sax.
    Brecker used to play soprano early in his career (as evidenced below; solo starts at 1:36), but I guess he just wanted to focus on tenor. As for Farrell, I actually liked his flute playing more than his tenor playing.

Thanks for the responses guys. I already have Three Quartets. (I probably should have included in my original post that I already have it, My Spanish Heart, almost all of RTF's releases, and a couple of CC's collaborations with Gary Burton.). While I enjoy Three Quartets, like John, I don't really hear much similarity between it and Friends, notwithstanding the similar personnel. Friends is lighter, more melodic and accessible - an easier and happier listen. I was hoping for something along those lines, though it appears from the few responses that Friends might be fairly unique in CC's discography.

Reid, I will check out Outback. Thanks.
    Last edited by Father Tiresias; 09-04-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Ernie, I'll have to give that clip a listen over the weekend, as I'm using a very outdated computer at the moment. I really like Farrell's flute playing too. He plays flute, soprano, and tenor on Outback. I can't say the tunes are as catchy as The One Step, or the title track, Friends.

Re: The Section

Great stuff, Ernie! I didn't even know about that band.

Love this album and Three Quartets! Steve Gadd is stunning on both.

Matt.

A tremendous record....one of my all-time favorites from Corea.

BTW, for those interested, this year's SFJAZZ Collective set is a tribute to Corea, with 7 Corea pieces arranged by the group and 7 new originals inspired by Corea. A terrific set, as have all of the Collectives' sets been since they started in 2004 with Ornette Coleman. Since then, they've done John Coltrane, McCoy Tyner, Herbie Hancock, Thelonious Monk, Stevie Wonder (unexpected, but as good as anything else they've done), Horace Silver and Wayne Shorter, with 2012 the only year they didn't release a new live set (though they did do a studio record of the Wonder songs instead) since 2004.

Sorry....I digress... but it's what i do

Quote Originally Posted by Father Tiresias View Post
    Is there anything else in Corea's massive discography that is similar in style (acoustic and electric piano, mellow horns, pretty straightforward post-bop) and worth picking up?
    I don't know about "mellow", but these personal faves have horns:

Tones for Joan's Bones
    Is
    Sundance
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes