Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Stone readers pick top 10 Prog albums of 1970s

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Early proto metal is Sabbath, Zepellin and Deep Purple.

You're right but Rush had that general sound on 2112. 2112 is not significantly heavier than the heaviest albums by those bands imo(especially BS who were way heavier than Rush).

Understand, I only used Yes and Genesis as examples, but musically there are bands far more innovative than them, especially the fusion bands.
    Not really. That soon became a 'muso genre' which doesn't mean anything beyond other musos- is that innovative? The earlier stuff- Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Herbie Hancock etc.- is groundbreaking, because it's not just 'look at how many chord changes I can cram into one track' and 'look at how fast I'm soloing'. There's nothing innovative about just 'playing to the gallery', IMHO.

Weather Report and Herbie Hancock both had a lot of experimentation with sound textures and creating atmospheres, whilst there was something volcanic about early Mahavishnu that made them connect to a rock audience, not for nothing was their debut called 'The Inner Mounting Flame'.

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    Oh.

How . . . . . . . diverse . . . . . . .
    my thoughts exactly

BTW, they forgot to mention... *no people who were part of the original, multi-cultural Prog music explosion or listened to Prog music in 1972 were asked to vote in this poll*
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

1973 Top 40 (Own)
    1 TIE A YELLOW RIBBON 'ROUND THE OLE OAK TREE TONY ORLANDO & DAWN
    2 WHY ME KRIS KRISTOFFERSON
    3 BAD BAD LEROY BROWN JIM CROCE
    4 KILLING ME SOFTLY WITH HIS SONG ROBERTA FLACK
    5 LET'S GET IT ON MARVIN GAYE
    6 MY LOVE PAUL MCCARTNEY & WINGS
    7 CROCODILE ROCK ELTON JOHN
    8 WILL IT GO ROUND IN CIRCLES BILLY PRESTON
    9 YOU'RE SO VAIN CARLY SIMON
    10 TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING DIANA ROSS
    11 ME & MRS. JONES BILLY PAUL
    12 THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA VICKI LAWRENCE
    13 HALF-BREED CHER
    14 PLAYGROUND IN MY MIND CLINT HOLMES
    15 BROTHER LOUIE STORIES
    16 DELTA DAWN HELEN REDDY
    17 KEEP ON TRUCKIN' EDDIE KENDRICKS
    18 THAT LADY ISLEY BROTHERS
    19 FRANKENSTEIN EDGAR WINTER GROUP
    20 DRIFT AWAY DOBIE GRAY
    21 MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS
    22 LITTLE WILLIE THE SWEET
    23 YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE STEVIE WONDER
    24 PILLOW TALK SYLVIA
    25 WE'RE AN AMERICAN BAND GRAND FUNK
    26 RIGHT PLACE, WRONG TIME DR JOHN
    27 ROCKIN' PNEUMONIA & THE BOOGIE WOOGIE FLU JOHNNY RIVERS
    28 FUNNY FACE DONNA FARGO
    29 SUPERSTITION STEVIE WONDER
    30 WILDFLOWER SKYLARK
    31 DANCIN' IN THE MOONLIGHT KING HARVEST
    32 LOVES ME LIKE A ROCK PAUL SIMON
    33 MORNING AFTER MAUREEN MCGOVERN
    34 ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH JOHN DENVER
    35 CLAIRE GILBERT O' SULLIVAN
    36 STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU STEELERS WHEEL
    37 SHAMBALA THREE DOG NIGHT
    38 ANGIE ROLLING STONES
    39 LOVE TRAIN O'JAY'S
    40 I'M GONNA LOVE YOU JUST A LITTLE BIT MORE, BABY BARRY WHITE
    I remember that year well!
    like yesterday to me
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    In other words the Jam bands who dont know how to structure a piece of music ?
    Fusion = Jam bands!? you must not have heard much music in the style
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 08-27-2013 at 03:48 AM.

In other words the Jam bands who dont know how to structure a piece of music ?
    He was pointing at the rhetorical hypothesis I presented in my own post, the contents of which you'd might want to contemplate before commenting. Though, for the record, I never mentioned "fusion".

But where on earth did you collect the perception that jam bands "don't know how to structure a piece of music"? Do you think, in all seriousness, that improvised sound does not imply structure? And that the casual "prog" artist somehow deals in actual composition and thus delivers structure? From countless other postings of yours, it appears as though your point of definition resides somewhat on the side of the matter - and that progressive rock music emannates somewhere between Europe and Asia. At least this would explain your stance against all sorts of music about which you obviously know very little indeed.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    He was pointing at the rhetorical hypothesis I presented in my own post, the contents of which you'd might want to contemplate before commenting. Though, for the record, I never mentioned "fusion".

But where on earth did you collect the perception that jam bands "don't know how to structure a piece of music"? Do you think, in all seriousness, that improvised sound does not imply structure? And that the casual "prog" artist somehow deals in actual composition and thus delivers structure? From countless other postings of yours, it appears as though your point of definition resides somewhat on the side of the matter - and that progressive rock music emannates somewhere between Europe and Asia. At least this would explain your stance against all sorts of music about which you obviously know very little indeed.
    I certainly agree that I have no interest in fusion/jam bandsother than going down the local pub's 'jam night for local musicians' to prop up the bar rather than to pay any attention to the background racket! I guess that's the type of music you like, that's fine but give me melody and structure any day of the week!.

I certainly agree that I have no interest in fusion/jam bandsother than going down the local pub's 'jam night for local musicians' to prop up the bar rather than to pay any attention to the background racket! I guess that's the type of music you like, that's fine but give me melody and structure any day of the week!.
    Christ! The point was that you have to know what words mean before you point an opinion at them! Now please answer the damn questions i posed - this is a discussion forum!
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Christ! The point was that you have to know what words mean before you point an opinion at them! Now please answer the damn questions i posed - this is a discussion forum!
    Nothing to discuss, how many people even here on PE have heared of any of the bands you mentioned ! Must be a reason for that !!!!

The fact that an album charts, doesn't make it mainstream or a success. The Wall had the highest sales in the 70s, of all albums. FM in 73 was alternative, in 69 it was underground. There are obvious exceptions to these generalizations, but mainstream USA was not listening to DSOTM. I was in college and I know what was mainstream and it wasn't Floyd.
    come on.... even Atom Heart Mother topped the charts in the UK when it was released... If AHM was not mainstream, DSOTM's phenomenal success made Floyd mainstream
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Nothing to discuss, how many people even here on PE have heared of any of the bands you mentioned ! Must be a reason for that !!!!
    Plenty more than what you would might expect. But I suppose that goes to show. Compared to what those names were doing, most 70s "prog" bands were by your own definition NOT able to "structure a piece of music", seeing how their works were loose and relatively simple. And I'm not even talking about "Heat of the Moment" now.

How many more albums will One Direction sell this year than every prog band discussed on PE this year, combined? Is that for the same reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    How many more albums will One Direction sell this year than every prog band discussed on PE this year, combined? Is that for the same reason?
    Point being there dosnt appear to be much love for those bands even in the prog community ˇ. Not talking about general appeal ˇ

Point being there dosnt appear to be much love for those bands even in the prog community ˇ. Not talking about general appeal ˇ
    It's a mostly meaningless point, for the same reason as I pointed out. Some general music fans also know/like prog, but most don't. They like other bands. There are some prog bands who are only known to a relatively small number of prog fans; the majority of whom like other bands. But that doesn't, in itself, mean anything. Once you start going down the road of "there's a reason for that" with respect to a band's popularity, or lack thereof, you inevitably fall into a hole that is hard to extricate yourself from.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Not really. That soon became a 'muso genre' which doesn't mean anything beyond other musos- is that innovative? The earlier stuff- Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Herbie Hancock etc.- is groundbreaking, because it's not just 'look at how many chord changes I can cram into one track' and 'look at how fast I'm soloing'. There's nothing innovative about just 'playing to the gallery', IMHO.

Weather Report and Herbie Hancock both had a lot of experimentation with sound textures and creating atmospheres, whilst there was something volcanic about early Mahavishnu that made them connect to a rock audience, not for nothing was their debut called 'The Inner Mounting Flame'.
    Just interpret the statement in a way that helps you make an argument. The word fusion goes way beyond what you have picked out. So you don't like fusion and I don't care.

Pink Floyd was psychedelic and experimental at the beginning. But starting with Meddle they are definitely Prog. I always tough the top 5 in prog were Floyd, Yes, Genesis, K.C and Tull. No?
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

From a cynical point of view, perhaps with Rush getting into the Rock HOF, Rolling Stone is trying to appear current. Would they have rigged the poll votes as well to get a current 'it' band to the top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    Pink Floyd was psychedelic and experimental at the beginning. But starting with Meddle they are definitely Prog. I always tough the top 5 in prog were Floyd, Yes, Genesis, K.C and Tull. No?
    Wrong , replace Genesis for ELP who where the biggest prog band on the planet at the time !
    Whether you or anybody else dosnt rate them is irrelevant to what is factual history !

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Correction, pop acts like this don't sell CDs. They sell downloads. How many teenage girls even have CD players these days? Not any I've seen.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Correction, pop acts like this don't sell CDs. They sell downloads. How many teenage girls even have CD players these days? Not any I've seen.

I didn't say that they sold CDs. I purposely used the word "album," which has become synonymous with the title of a long-playing release, and no longer associated with any particular physical format. In case you were wondering, One Direction's latest album has already sold more than 4 million copies (all formats).

Who is "one Direction"?... I never heard of 'em!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    New mega popular new boy band.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Try to maintain that for as long as possible......

Wrong , replace Genesis for ELP who where the biggest prog band on the planet at the time !
    Whether you or anybody else dosnt rate them is irrelevant to what is factual history !
    ELP were indeed very popular in the early-mid 70s. I would say that, in the style of Symph Prog, they were in the top 3 with Yes and King Crimson in the circles I was a part of... in the Fusion style it was Mahavishnu, Return To Forever and Herbie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    ELP were indeed very popular in the early-mid 70s. I would say that, in the style of Symph Prog, they were in the top 3 with Yes and King Crimson in the circles I was a part of... in the Fusion style it was Mahavishnu, Return To Forever and Herbie Hancock.
    Yep what I understood from what I read about the scene, the order of 70s popularity for the top groups with prog pedegree was more like ELP, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull then Yes, King Crimson and finally VDGG, Genesis who were well behind...