Thread: Concerts this Summer

Concerts this Summer

So what did everyone see this summer?

I have a had a blast from the past summer:

1) Fall Out Boy, Riviera Theater Chicago: took my daughter after she got back from college, she loved the show

2) Sting, Ravinia, Highland Park, IL: Sting always puts on a great show, my wife's favorite so a must attend

3) Rush, Summerfest, Milwaukee: #14 Rush show, and of course loved it

4) Bret Michaels, Frontier Days, Arlington Heights, IL: free show, but have to say he does give it his all and tries very hard

5) Heart Jason Bonham, Ravinia, Highland Park, IL: went to a Heart show and Zeppein broke out, besides Bonham playing a full Zeppelin set, Bonham and Heart, for Hearts encore played 6 Zeppelin songs, very entertaining evening

6) Steely Dan, Ravinia, Highland Park: one thing I can say about SD, they are consistently good. Although Walter Becker should retire from singing

7) The Winery Dogs/District 97, Reggies, Chicago, IL: Highlight of the concert schedule this summer, loved it, a must see for anyone on this forum

8) Ratt/Sabastian Bach/Dokken/Lita Ford/Warrant/Hessler, Wauconda, IL: Rock in the Farm, this was fun, a bunch of 80's rock bands most were very entertaining, Warrant was the best for me

9) Matchbox 20, Goo Goo Dolls, Blossom Music Theater, Cayahoga Falls, OH: drove my daughter back to college and this was playing so took her and her friends. Very much enjoyed GGD, they put on a nice live set, M20, honestly (I must have missed the 90's) knew nothing about them and did not know a single song, very generic pop, it took until the last few songs of the evening to show anything

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    John McLaughlin and the 4th Dimension at Berklee Performance Center- 6th row center. What a band and holy crap can this 70+ year old play guitar!
    Yes-Mountain Park, Holyoke MA- first row, beautiful outdoor venue on a beautiful Summer Saturday night. Doesn't get much better than that!
    Todd Rundgren, Calvin Theater, Northampton MA- My third Todd show here in town in recent years and probably the most disappointing; Todd played a minimal amount of guitar, sat through a good portion of the set.
    Project/Object-Iron Horse, Northampton- Having seen many iterations of the band, this may have been my favorite...how they fit nine guys on the small stage still boggles my mind!
    The Waiting Room performing The Lamb, Regent Theater, Arlington, MA- Gotta say I enjoyed this Genesis tribute band more than the Musical Box, primarily beacuse they don't take themselves as seriously. A fun show.

RoSFest sort of pre-summer
    Prairie Home Companion - Wolftrap
    Ian Anderson plays TAAB1 and 2 - Wolftrap
    Chicago - surprisingly good, not like a cover band at all. - Wolftrap
    The Aristocrats - Jammin' Java, kind of short set, but awesome
    Swing Out Sister - The Birchmere 80's pop with a new bossa nova beat
    Peter Frampton's guitar circus with BB King - Wolftrap. PF's version of Black Hole Sun is really good. Also had Roger McGuinn for a couple of Byrd's songs
    Next week Lyle Lovett at Wolftrap and Progday!!!!!

mark
    Last edited by markwoll; 08-23-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

David Gogo- blues rock- loved it
    John Scofield- loved it
    Sloan- disappointed
    Nazareth- ok, surprised I recognised as much as I did, tour cancelled after this gig
    Albert Lee- loved it
    Danny Michel-really liked
    Devotchka- really liked
    Waterboys- liked
    Loudon Wainwright III- loved it
    Rush- liked, I just don't quite resonate with them
    + local bands - from astounding to disappointing

Umphrey's McGee @ the Plaza Live, Orlando, FL
    ASIA Featuring John Payne @ Hard Rock Hotel, Orlando, FL (pre-summer, they played in April)
    Pat Travers @ Music Ranch, Lakeland, FL